Beaufighter 252 Squadron 1942

Bill_S

I'll have to agree with Harv....

I can see I'll be building this one like normal.... a little scratch and gear-up.

I don't have your patience anymore Bill. She sure is LOOKIN' GOOD.

I love British Desert Schemes.......so much I painted my Sea Vixen in one

and RSAF markings, "Arabian Vixen"

jack

Guest Peterpools

BIll

She looks great with the decals on and the start of the light weathering

Keep 'em coming

Peter

The inside of the LG doors needs work. Big, angled ejector pin marks. I sanded them down and used Gator's Grip to temporarily attach some thin styrene sheet.

DSCN1431%5B2%5D.jpg

Once dry, I cut out where the bulges are for my master.

DSCN1430%5B1%5D.jpg

LG door - that's glue reisdue.

DSCN14301_zpslxyp9qj4.jpg

The preferred solvent to soften PVA glue is vinegar. While the parts soak, it's time to look at the landing gear.  I might dress up the gear a little, but because of the cutout in the gear well, the hydraulic retraction/extension cylinder is far too short.

DSCN1434%5B1%5D.jpg

Diameters on the part are 0.093 for the cylinder. 0.040 for the rod. The smallest tube I have in stock is 0.125 OD / 0.060 ID.

I had some copper tube on hand, but the OD was a little bit small; there was a fair amount of side play when inserted into the tube. I cut a thin strip of paper and wound it in a spiral around the new rod. Then I carefully stuffed it inside the tube.

DSCN1436%5B1%5D.jpg

I little CA and I got a nice snug fit. The ID of the copper insert was now too small. Once dry, I drilled out the cylinders to 0.040 to accept some 1mm brass tube.

Drilling the end connection...

DSCN1437%5B1%5D.jpg

Next, I drilled a 1 mm hole in a piece of flat stock.  Once dry, I'll chuck it up and trim to make it round (and concentric with the cylinder body).

That's it for today.

Edited by Bill_S

A highly thinned coat of Mr. Surfacer 1500 black.

When I read that after looking at those photos, with that smooth primer I thought, "What's he using?"

I know, right?

Anyway inside I was like this.

giphy.gif

I gave this thread about a month before checking in because I wanted a feast. Not entrees. 

Man, always loved the Whispering death". :)

:goodjob:  :goodjob:  :goodjob:  :goodjob:  :goodjob:

Hours of work wasted... I wanted to add some internals to the gear doors to mimic those on my references.

DSCN1440%5B1%5D.jpg

DSCN1442%5B1%5D.jpg

Sanding and fitting - more sanding... then I decided maybe I'd better place on the the plane. If I go this route, I won't be able to fit the landing gear. I think I'll just have to live with the skins.

Edited by Bill_S