Revell 1/32 Duo Discus

Cap'n Wannabe

Well, I wasn't going to do a WIP thread for this, given my lack of progress on other models, but what the heck, right?

Cockpit seats are done:

BZrhGQdl.jpg

c1117HAl.jpg

I've also painted the inside of the cockpit, which needs a touch-up or two.  The thing about this model is that there's a fair amount of painting before you can really start gluing things in place...and I dislike painting, especially detail painting with acrylics.  Still, I managed ok in the end..

Not much happening today (incidentally, I'm gonna *try* to post an update daily so's I don't lose my mojo yet again..)

The main undercarriage (read the *big* wheel) has a main leg, which comes down both sides of the wheel and is secured in the fuselage, and there's a secondary "leg" which is glued to the main leg, and is also secured in the fuselage.  At first, I thought I'd simply tape the fuselage sides together, with the legs captured inside the fuselage, and apply glue to the joint between the main and secondary legs, however, the point at which the secondary leg is glued to the main leg is covered by the fuselage, so it's very difficult to apply glue to the joint.  So today I've been working on making a jig so I can glue the two legs together at the correct angle, then place them into the fuselage once I'm ready to button up.  Is there a simpler way to do this?  I'm sure there is, but I like to make things complicated, so I'm 3D-printing the jig...Photos to come once I'm happy with it!

Regarding the seat cushions: The back seat looks quite allright, that is the correct shape for the cushion. The back rest of the front seat however is not cushioned, as that is usually whefe the parachute goes. It's just cockpit grey with a black trimming. Also, regarding the color of the cushions, the two Duos that I know have dark grey cushions with some tiny blue, grey and yellow speckles. There are however numerous variants, I even know of a Schempp-Hirth glider with purple leather interior, so you are good to go with the blue cushions! :) Hope I'm not late to the party ;)

Greetings, Jonas

Edit: very nice and clean build, going to start mine soon and I will follow your thread for inspiration! :)

Edited by holzemjo

That's interesting about the lack of cushions on the seat.  Maybe they're an aftermarket thing - I've googled, and found many photos of the cockpit (from the wrong angle, of course!) showing part of the seat with cushioning, hence my thoughts about making them.  Still, too much work for me!

Well, I can only speak for the two planes I know, that definitely don't have a cushioned back rest. Thing is, that the parachute isn't mandatory (at least in Germany it isn't) and can be replaced by a cushion at least 7 cm thick when compressed. So maybe the pictures you saw show that. I would offer some pictures of our club's Duo Discus, but unfortunately it is the off season and the plane is stored in it's trailer... Anyhow, nice modelling and good painting going on here and trust me, everybody flies these planes in a different configuration, so there's definitely not one wrong and one right :)

Greets, Jonas

Edit: Maybe I wasn't clear, my only concern is the backrest of the front seat, the seat itself is cushioned on both seats... :)

Edited by holzemjo