WNW Sopwith 5F1 Dolphin

TimW

looking good Tim, quick Q, is the engine in this kit the same sprues as the SE? or a newer, more detailed one? Regards Pete in RI

Hmm.  I'll have to check, as I have the SE kit.

TW

Looked at the SE.  The sprue looks like it's the same on in the Dolphin kit, but there's a piece on the A sprue of the Dolphin that has some extra tanks/piping/carburetor that go between the cylinders that are markedly different from the SE.

Hope this helps!

TW

Guest Peterpools

Tim

Terrific front office and it surely seems the thinner the pilot, the more breathing room!

Looking real good

Keep ‘em comin

Peter

Superb. Cockpit looks very busy indeed!

Looking forward to the next installment. Are you planning on wiring the engine?

K

I was, but as the cowling will be closed, I decided not to make myself crazy.

As somebody posted, somewhere, the tolerances on the nose section are very, very tight.  Getting the engine into the mountings was a bit of a challenge.

Also, re: the earlier question, the carburetor and other tanks between the cylinders are fairly easy to see on this one--very different from the SE-5 engine configuration.

I'll try and get some more engine close ups.

• 2 weeks later...

Took a bit of effort, but the fuselage is together.   Very little room for error on this one!

S0zbgYm.jpg

Wow, That looks wonderful!  Seems like most of Sir Peters kits have really tight tolerances, especially on the mating surfaces, but this one looks especially tight in the engine bay and pit! 

You know what, I have as little interest in WWI aviation as a plane nut and model builder can have. But after seeing all these beautiful WNW kits on this board, I feel like I need to get one! Fantastic work!

That's what I said back in August, now I built 2 Wingnut and have 10 in the stash. Careful, they are addictive!