Revell (née Matchbox) Spitfire 22- finished

BloorwestSiR

Tremendous work as usual Carl, this old kit is certainly a challenge but wouldn't life be boring if all the kits fell perfectly together like the Tamiya Spit!? That reminds me, must dig mine out and finish my Tiffy!

Max

Thanks Max! That's very true about it not being a shake and bake kit like a Tamiya. I can manage to build three of those for each one like this.

' . . . rivets . . .'

Lots of those. And not an easy pattern. I was riveting the PCM Mk. XIVe. Unlike a Bf109, lots of work.

Looks good. Keep at it.

Sincerely,

Mark

Thanks Mark! I've got a pair of PCM XIVs in the stash as well. I'm hoping to convert one into a XIX and do the other as a field modified FR XIV.

Carl

Really looking good Carl. :goodjob:

One query, which I suspect I'm a bit late raising (for which apologies) - shouldn't the seat harness be a Q-type rather than a Sutton?

Thanks Mike!

As for the harness, I hadn't checked so that could be an oops... Too late now unfortunately if it's wrong. But I'll have to keep it in mind for my Seafire 47.

Carl

Edited by BloorwestSiR

Guest Peterpools

Carl

Scribing and riveting .. two part of a build I tend to shy away from. Looking real god and I should be taking notes

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Edited by Peterpools

I've only got the Modelers Datafile for reference and their plans are in 1/72 and a bit faint. Hopefully it comes off looking OK.

The same plans I'm using, but I think it is worth to copy them at 225% magnification, you will receive 1:32nd scale.

And maybe look also at the plans that can be found here - an absolutely amazing FR.47 build and reference. 

Keep it up, good luck!

Best regards

Hubert

The same plans I'm using, but I think it is worth to copy them at 225% magnification, you will receive 1:32nd scale.

And maybe look also at the plans that can be found here - an absolutely amazing FR.47 build and reference.

Keep it up, good luck!

Best regards

Hubert

Thanks Hubert! I actually did enlarge them on a copier but many of the rivet lines came out very faint. Hopefully mine will turn out half as good as yours.

I've got the Seafire 47 bookmarked from when he started it. I started on one with the Freightdog conversion set but after having a lot of issues with it pointed out to me, I stopped. Maybe I'll just finish it as a close enough build.

Carl

These arrived on Monday, hopefully the last bit of AM for this build.

IMG_20170301_183857.jpg

I've then spent the last couple of days getting them fitted.

I started by sanding off the original barrel stubs that are moulded on the wing.

IMG_20170301_184104.jpg

Then, using a small grinder,I slowly opened up the holes in the wing until the barrels would fit.

IMG_20170301_190636.jpg

I needed a small amount amount of putty to make them flush but they're now done.

IMG_20170302_170046.jpg

There is a bit of touch up needed on the riveting and then I'll install the tailplanes.

Carl