Tamiya Mosquito FB VI - 3/22 - Figure painting completed

Bstarr3

Good catch, the number of times I have left a fingerprint on the wing etc.......I leave it to harden for a couple of days and get a brand new 23 blade a lightly “scrape†the offending print. You can blend the area where it happened to the rest of the area......

Hope my Mossie looks half as good....

Great finish on the prop blades. I might have to try that on my next build.

The rest of the Mossie is coming along very nicely as well. It really gets to be a handful once everything is attached.

Carl

Cheers, Carl. The finish doesn't show up as well in photos as in person, but I like the effect.

It is definitely a handful. I've got primer on the whole thing now, with cockpit door tacked in place being the final part I added. It's now officially too big too keep inside the spray booth fully, and too big to easily take photos of in the spray booth, so there will be fewer progress photos at this point. The good news is that the finish looks really solid, with no obvious seams at the usual places - leading edges, wing-fuselage join, center line, etc.

I'm going to get my stand assembled tomorrow before I proceed with more painting.

Good catch, the number of times I have left a fingerprint on the wing etc.......I leave it to harden for a couple of days and get a brand new 23 blade a lightly “scrape†the offending print. You can blend the area where it happened to the rest of the area......

Hope my Mossie looks half as good....

Great idea with scraping off the fingerprint. I always manager to get at least one on any model I build, and I usually have used filler, but I'll try your technique next time.

I'm sure yours will come out great - this kit is hard to mess up it comes together so well

I was in the shop from 9-12 last night. This is all I accomplished:

20180227_001016.jpg

The instructions on this thing are really vague. Another note for anyone who's thinking of getting one. The base comes as two parts which are to be laminated together. On mine at least,even though all the edges were perfectly lined up, the slots we're not lined up. That meant that I had to go around widening the slots with a razor saw, and the end result is a kind of sloppy sliding mechanism, which I'm not super pleased with. Whatever, it will hold up my model.

Also, for anyone who's built one of these - am I supposed to just cut up the rubber bands and use them as a no-slip surface on the top of the brackets?

I've got the 1/48 ones and I think the biggest issue I had was the bolts that go inside the uprights were a bit wide.

Yes, the elastic is to be cut apart and CA'ed to the top of the stand to act as cushions.

Carl

Thanks, Carl.  I'm thinking of putting a piece of felt or something on the bottom of each of the uprights to make that action a little smoother along the line.  Also, somehow the feet are uneven so there's a little wobble in the base.  I'm just going to roll with it.  

Might sound silly but I use a lazy Susan with lumps of polystyrene as a paint stand. But them I'm a Yorkshireman, which means deep pockets and short fingers.

Doesn't sound silly at all, Tim.  A block of styrofoam that my airbrush compressor came packed in is one of my most useful tools.  It's a great stand for smaller scale models, I use it to hold toothpicks to support little parts for drying, it's got little wells in it that I use to hold small parts, etc etc.  I bought this stand in the hopes that it would be more stable.  Perhaps it would have been if I'd put more time into building it. 

20180223_005706.jpg

Great show.  Late to this party.  Apologies.  You can fill this depression with paint pigment then lightly sand it down flush to the surrounding surface.

Sincerely,

Mark

Great idea, Mark.  I will try that when I finally get around to painting.  I picked a subject that is RAF tricolor (OG/DG over MSG), so I'm going to paint the bottom first and mask it all off, then go to the topside

Looks Great! I also might suggest clear coating the JH stand. It's highly recommended from John at UMM and does in fact help keep paint and other debris from permeating the wooden stand

OK, good idea.  Would our standard hobby clear coats work, or should I use a wood varnish or polyurethane?

OK, good idea. Would our standard hobby clear coats work, or should I use a wood varnish or polyurethane?

I would highly suggest something like a strong lacquer, but yes a tough poly clear that is designed for wood may also work. I just used lacquer as my main goal was to prevent other model paints from penetrating, and I wasn't totally sure how well clears designed for wood would so that.