Cyber Hobby Me 110 G-4

Cheetah11

Nick, this is a most enjoyable build to follow. Not only your scratch-building abilities, but sharing your thought processes, which ring true for many of us when trying to find the "right" answer to a Luftwaffe question. Great stuff!

Hi Everyone,

thanks for all the compliments and interest in the build.

Jim,

You guessed it correctly, I did use Tamiya tape, but there is a small trick to it.

Kev and Harvey,

I used 2mm styrene rod to make the frame, and strengthened each joint with a small copper pin. The Tamiya tape was taped together with the glued sides towards each other. The 6 long strips were added first and secured with super glue. The shorter strips were then weaved thru. Quite easy till the last two which I used a blade point to nudge thru.

Madmax

welcome to the forum and thanks for the compliment.

Dan,

yes it will hopefully fit . I just hope the whole puzzle will go together after all the changes.

Thanks for enjoying the build. I am busy with work for the next week, and should then be able to progress a bit more. 

Nick

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Everyone

After three weeks of intense work at the office and five days visiting family,(At least i got a Silhouette Cutter for a present.  I have a bit of time for modeling again. I see Andy is also doing the G-4 from Pastor John's conversion. He seems to have done in three days the same progress that took me a month to scratch build. Definitely the easier way to go.

I am at the point of closing the fuselage, so things should speed up a bit.

IMG_2415.jpg

I did some of the add-on pieces just to do a bit of painting.

IMG_2416.jpg

I could not confirm on the two photos I have of the actual aircraft if the armor panels were fitted. Nine out of ten aircraft of the period I could find had them, so I decided to fit them using 0,25 mm plastic card. I used Tamiya tape to make a template and then transferred it onto the card. Holes were drilled from the back to ensure thin glue seeped into the whole area.

IMG_2419.jpg

The result.

IMG_2420.jpg

Next I have to do the under wing radiators. I will see how to streamline the kit parts. I will use the Revell 1/48 as a reference .

Nick 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Everyone

I have been distracted since Dec when I received a Sillouette cutter and have been playing with the software.

Hopefully the build will progress a bit faster.

Andy and Max asked about the route I am taking on the cockpit. Because of a few extra pieces I decided to fit the side if the cockpit to the side of the fuselage and cut the top decking in half. I also fitted this to the side of each fuselage and painted everything before joining the fuselage together. Dry fitting showed a few parts were interfering and I had to adjust those.

Here is the fuselage joined up.

IMG_2449.jpg

The bottom

IMG_2447.jpg

The radar and Vhf  radio still needs to be detailed with wires and the radio rack but this is how it will fit

IMG_2450.jpg

Any suggestions and comments welcome

Nick

Edited by Cheetah11

It's all looking good Nick, thanks for putting up those pictures. You've obviously given all of the stages of your construction a lot of thought so I'm sure the upper cockpit add-ons will be just fine. I really admire all the scratch building and re-modelling you've done, very impressive!

Max

That's really great work! Love the detailed work you did and your painting looks spot on!

The armour is also a very nice addition.

I see you are going to use the Revell 1/48 scale kit as a guide for the engine's radiator baths. If I recall correctly, I think the whole engine compartment of the Revell kit is a bit undersized. Though I'm not sure if this was also the case for the specific parts you want to use for a guide. Not sure how Eduard did them on their 1/48 "G".

I see you are going to use the Revell 1/48 scale kit as a guide for the engine's radiator baths. If I recall correctly, I think the whole engine compartment of the Revell kit is a bit undersized. Though I'm not sure if this was also the case for the specific parts you want to use for a guide. Not sure how Eduard did them on their 1/48 "G".

Yes this is true, whilst the Mongram Revell kit was in my opinion the best 1/48th scale offering and a very pleasant kit to build, the engine nacelles were too "slim" hence the Cutting Edge correction set which made a significant difference.

Max

Hi Everyone

The build is picking up speed again. Just a lot to do as many parts need to be modified. 

Yesterday I managed to get the under-wing radiators done. The Me 110 G series had slightly larger radiators and they were also streamlined more. I looked at as many photos as I could get on the internet and the modified the kit radiators with plastic card. Some of the photos on the net showed the radiators from an angle not seen in the SS reference. I also used the 1/48 Monogram/Revell kit part as a reference to get a feel for the part.

Here is the kit part with plastic card added.

IMG_2455.jpg

IMG_2456.jpg

After a bit of sanding the final result

IMG_2457.jpg

This is how it will fit onto the wing

IMG_2477.jpg

The other part I was not satisfied with was the roll bar and seat . I scaled the roll bar up from the 1/48 kit, but when complete it did not match exactly with the kit parts. The top part also seems to be two pressed parts welded together, so the only way I could replicate this was to cut and sand it out of solid plastic card. I get the impression the seat is also slightly undersized and tapers too much to the top. This might be just the angle of the photos, so I will still ponder a bit more on this.

The old seat with the new card frame for a size comparison.

IMG_2454.jpg

The top part of the roll bar

IMG_2478.jpg

IMG_2480.jpg

Next will be the radio rack and some small details. Then the dreaded part....... The vacu-form canopy

Comment welcome.

Nick

Edited by Cheetah11