Revell P-51B Mustang

Adrian A.

Adrian- I loved the version of Ina you built. This kit is special to me also, as it was one of my first forays into 32nd scale when I was a kid. I built the Beeson version for the first time around 1990....Man those were the days. Anyway, please keep it up, looking forward to more......

Viva la Mustangs!

Thor, who should be building more models..........

Thanks Brian, I appreciate the comments!! That was my intent with this build, not to build a perfect Mustang but to have fun & just do what I can to bring it up in detail a bit.

Hey Jerry, I'll email you tonight Dude. I tried to send you another PM the other night on the tail wheel gear bay but your inbox was full!

Thanks for the comments on my 'Ina' build Thor - that one tested my skills a bit, especially on the paint job. The original 'Shangri La' boxing was one of my first 1/32 kits also. There was a local hobby shop in Morgan city by the bridge called 'The Hobby Hut' and it had a bay window in front - I remember that kit sitting in the window & had to have it! I still have the instructions from that kit (actually I have ALL of my kit instructions that I've built).

The Beeson boxing was the first kit I built after a 20+ year modeling hiatus in 1999 or so.

The first pic tonight is of the cowl cover with the initial coat of zinc chromate green. A bit more touch up on it later, then a coat of future & a wash on this part too.

post-177-1260493194.jpg

I did the same treatment to the trim tabs on the horizontal stabilizers. I'm thinking about replacing the actuator (?) lumps with bits of wire. I'll be doing the same with the rudder trim tab after I button the fuse up.

post-177-1260494586.jpg

I did an initial sanding of the prop and spinner. I'll be gluing it up and using a bit of putty on a few spots. The sprue attachment points were already broken on this part and damaged the spinner a tad. There are a few sink marks on the blades also that I'll use a bit of Mr. Surfacer on them.

post-177-1260494758.jpg

I started with the Eduard Cockpit PE set and put the seat together first. This was my first real experience with PE other than a few small items on my 'Ida' build and my Trump Lightning cockpit parts. I gotta admit that the seat wasn't too bad. Other than the fact that me & super glue don't get along very well, it went pretty good.

post-177-1260495264.jpg

The IP mounted on the floor with some of the Waldron Placards applied. I had taken several shots of the IP separately but didn't check them. It turned out that all of them were pretty bad - I should have checked them!

post-177-1260496477.jpg

I was having great fun until I got to where I am now - half-way through the Eduard PE cockpit. I'm at the point of starting on the left side-wall.

Man, I'm not feeling the love on this one. I'm just not quite skilled enough with my sausage fingers to get those itty, bitty, fiddly PE parts to straighten up and fit like they're suppose to fit.

I'm not going to give up of course, it's just that ya gotta take a break from those teeny parts & regain your sanity - or is it just me?

The PE parts cut loose & nearly ready for a dose of super glue - I'm concerned cuz I nearly glued my fingers together when did the BIG PE parts!

post-177-1260497091.jpg

Thanks for the comments Matt, I appreciate it! I love the way the cedar looks on the floor. I've also tried it on my 1/24 Airfix Mustang but i decided to paint that one black. This one stays bare wood, I think it looks better that way although I know technically it was painted black.

Here's another shot I took tonight of the cockpit showing the IP a bit better.

post-177-1260497854.jpg