Bandai 1/24 Mustang - Maybe F-51D...

xmh53wrench

Guest Peterpools

Lou

Nice progress on the 'Stang - sure is looking good.

Pretty neat idea about attaching the wings this way.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Thanks a bunch you guys!!

I dont know how close this plane is dimensionally, but wow I am really liking how this is coming out.

e357f561-4c51-4a68-b656-9381b01caed1_zps

So far its a real shame on this particular kit that some of the internal details are so primitive.  And externally my biggest gripe is the gun fairings.  Maybe at some point Geoff will chime in and tell all of us exactly whats wrong with this kits general shape and dimensions.

Fuselage halves and wings are buttoned up.  Next up is getting the exhaust shields and stacks worked out, and doing something with the chin intake to fill the void, but yet give it some depth.   Then on to prepping for paint.

Thank you very much Loic!

Well, the flat white base is on, and setting it aside for a bit to dry.  I need to figure out a way to mask the areas for the Hi-vis Red prior to the silver and decals.  I also have a jar of Alclad polished aluminum, and am wondering if I could get the finish I am after by spraying that over the flat white.  I wonder if it would mute the reflectiveness, but still allow a bit of gloss.....hmmmmm.  May have to spray a small test panel....or maybe just wing it.   Alclad seems so durable compared to silver or chrome paint.  I think it would stand up better to putting on the insignias and other decals.  I really have no designs at all right now to clear coating any of it once the decals are in place.  Any thoughts???

CAM02347_zpse3162974.jpg

The camera shot didnt pick up the rivit detail, but it looks really good right now with just this thin coat of white, and here is a tease of the colors.....

CAM02351_zps34816851.jpg

Were these aircraft still NMF as I know they lacquered some at about this time

My experience is if you alclad over flat primer it will look like silver paint and with the" polished aluminum"  you have to spray that over a gloss black primer

or the shine doesn't reflect correctly. Something to do with how the paint and primer "work" together to make the shine.

The other alclad colors work on black or gray primer gloss or flat, but the flat primer will make alcld look like "silver paint".

Remember alclad is thiiiin and the less smooth the surface the less smooth the paint will appear.

If you want to have some fun and FOIL it with aluminum foil....that is what I'm going to do ,,,Just got my decals for it from Sprue Bros

I'm part of the FOIL MAFIA........and we are infiltrating this site :evil_laugh:  :evil_laugh:  :evil_laugh:            :fight:  :fight:  :fight: 

Keep Coming with it I like it and look forward to more

Jack

LOLOL, nice try Jack, I am a loooonnnnnnggggggg way from foiling a model.....eeekk!

Anywhooo, thanks for the tutoral, thats exactly the info I was looking for.  I actually WANT this plane to look as if it was painted silver (I am thinking a depot refuribished P-51).  But I dont want it to look like rattle can silver or chrome.  I am looking for more of a muted silver color as what I imagine the wings were painted during WW2.  Its a long shot but I am getting ready to spray a small test panel to see what it looks like over the flat white.  But I am still hoping the alclad will give a somewhat smooth and glossy surface suitable for decaling.  

Wish me luck.....and thanks again.

oooohhhhhh me likey...

CAM02352_zpsea797c71.jpg

....though it does not have the smooth gloss surface I was hoping for, I still like the color and iridesence this has.  Tomorrow I will give have the panel a coat of clear to see what happens, and also paint the other half of the white with the flourescent red.

Guest Peterpools

Lou

Jack is correct - for Alclad to look like a NMF with a reflective finish, it needs to be applied over a Gloss Black Base. The lighter the gloss base color, the less the metallic shine but is will be smooth. Applying Alclad over a matt or semi gloss finish is not recommended as the finish will look no different then silver/aluminum paint. Also, the final surface texture of Alclad applied over a glass black base, will be determined by actual Alclad used; Aluminum for example is very smooth but compared to polished aluminum, both straight out of the bottle, the aluminum is not as smooth and therefore not as metallic in appearance.

Peter

Thanks Peter...

This is quite a education and learning curve on this.   Hopefully an education that will be put to good use on other builds, namely my "Jan", "Precious Metal" and some other builds that I am contemplating.  I am figuring out slowly that one cant beat the finish that the airbrush gives, over spray bombs.  There is so much more control over the amount of paint going on, its no comparison.  That has been my down fall with resorting to laziness and the convenience of spray cans.

Another down fall is my constant striving to reproduce what I see in my minds eye with my builds.  I know exactly what shade, sheen, and look I want, and sometimes it takes me a few tries to satisfy that need.  Case in point is my wings on my "Jan" build and what I am going through to get it just right to my eye.  As it turns out the color I want for this build is exactly that same color.  I want this plane to look painted, but I want the silver to look scale, so no huge metalic, but only that "aluminum PASTE" look.  And to complicate matters even more I still want it (the silver) to have a "gloss" sheen or shine to it.  Not a mirror finish but a smooth sheen.....geez this is getting confusing even to me...LOL.   I did clear my little test panel and it did exactly as before and went several shades too dark....meh!  But then looking at an old test that I had done, I noticed the color was there all along.......

Alclad Aluminum 101 with a few coats of  gloss clear over the top of it.......and so thats what direction I am going now.

But, I have changed my mind on one thing.....I just cant do it....just cant....I have to putty from the mainspar to the leading edge....I have to!! These after all are high performance fighter aircraft, and somethings just "have to be"!  But the rest of the wing will be left as is with all its great rivet detail.

Thanks for looking in fellas!!   I am stoked about all my builds right now, especially this one. :)