1/32nd Avro Anson (CM vacuform)

mozart

I've just received the vacuform Anson that I ordered from Jeff at Combat Models - Parcelfarce managed to **** up the delivery and HMRC (bless them!) charged me import duties despite the fact that Jeff had put the correct code on the label to show that it was tax exempt, so I've got a battle with both to claim back the £22.00 that I had to stump up before delivery was possible, but that will doubtless be a continuing saga!

The "kit" is pretty basic and will need a lot of scratch building to add details, both internally and on the wings and tailplanes to replicate, for instance the prominent rib effect, so this most certainly isn't going to be a quick build, nor will it be started until the Cornell is completed.  (The Anson model is a Special Hobby 1/48th scale one, placed for size comparison).

DSCN8206_zpsebblhuxm.jpg

The engines look good as a starter though further detailing will be necessary.  The "undercarriage" seems to be a generic design that CM use though neither the Cornell's nor the Anson's bear any resemblance whatsoever to the real ones.  I think to overcome the fairly complex job of producing the Anson's u/c I'll build it wheels up in an inflight mode, though I'll have to get some Propblurs for it.

DSCN8208_zpsik8wa399.jpg

I doubt I'll use much of the internal resin bits, I'll scratch build it all.

DSCN8209_zpsbsklarez.jpg

This is a watercolour painting that Dad did when he was in Rhodesia so mine will be finished in this scheme.

DSCN8210_zpsfjwsgyvt.jpg

More when I start it in a while......a winter project I think!  I have a fair amount of good reference material and when Tim (Wunwinglow) and I met for a coffee a couple of weeks ago he gave me some really valuable extra bits and pieces about Ansons, including the Air-Britain Anson file....thanks Tim, you're a star.

Max
Edited by mozart

Hello, yes as mentioned, it's produced by Jeff Roberts of Roberts Combat Models, if you Google "combatmodels.us" you should find his website with an email address and price list, it's shown as $43.95 with $30.00 postage (that's US Dollars of course), the kit listing number is 32-056. Ask him for despatched costs: mine was £59.00 total to the UK. Hope this helps but come back to me if more is needed.

Max

Edited by mozart

Glad you will be able to make good use of the information and book, Max! Funny how some aircraft types appeal, or don't appeal. Anson has never struck a chord with me, but I keep looking at the cutaway drawing of the Heyford from Aeroplane Monthly with a hungry eye!!! No accounting for taste, mine especially! Having a family link is always a great start, so I know Max will make a great Anson when he makes a start.

Tim

Good show Mozart, I too have this kit and it is one of the best from Jeff's offerings IMHO. I re-engineered the kit to provide an "open top" so as to build in the interior details from the top. Jeff also made me a set of clear plastic fuselages so. I will see how tha goes.

Your watercolor is very interesting. I wonder if the variant used American engines?

Rick

There are two Ansons 5 minutes from my house.  Pls let me know if you need reference photos

Great stuff Ron, I'll be in touch for sure! Can you get close enough for measurements?

Max

Yup

Lovely, OK could you possibly take a couple of general shots of them as starters.  No hurry, whenever it's convenient - as i said, this is going to be a dark days and nights project!

Max

I have the same kit and yes the generic bits are very generic, i also have the 1/48 version and was looking to upscale them as well and then make the templates. Still awaiting getting more decent info of course, a long term project but good luck!