Tamiya Spitfire Mk.XVIe, First Spitfire build for me.

The detail painting looks smart Don, nice work. Lovely , smooth finish on the green too.

Dryfitting the pit into the fuselage shows that very little of all this goodness can be seen.

Don

Yeah, I hear you. That's what's got me thinking.

I have the opportunity to add the plumbing and wiring into my XVI but is it worth it I wonder? As you explain, the kit detail is good so would any additional detail improve things to any great extent?

Hmm, more thought is required.

Keep up the excellent progress.

Cheers.

I've seen some truly spectacular cockpits done for the Tamiya Spitfire, but after installing, very little can be seen. I think the super detailing is something you want to do for your own satisfaction, there really is almost nothing to see. I'm out with a cold right now, have some progress. Did finish the pit, i did a pin wash with Tamiya Panel Line Accent and added some Airscale placards and RB belts. The belts weren't as bad as i thought they would be, i messed them up a bit by using the wrong PE at certain places. Still look OK.

IMG_4600_zpszrvol206.jpg

IMG_4601_zpsp6vnlhvj.jpg

IMG_4614_zpssgkqwpbo.jpg

IMG_4616_zpsbscrxqnr.jpg

IMG_4624_zpsprvmkgy2.jpg

IMG_4627_zpsmtbnyk74.jpg

Don

I have to take my hat off to you for those belts Don, nice job.

Mine arrived this morning and after spending an hour tackling one lap belt my eyes are crossed! The carpet monster has managed to claim one of the etched parts already and I still have the shoulder belts to go..... :doh:

I shall be more than happy if I can get anywhere close to what you've achieved. Respect bro'. :punk:

Edited by geedubelyer

The RB belts really wern't as bad as i thought, i"ll probably use them again. Would like to see them do a modern aircraft as they look so much better than PE. I did make some progress, i've managed to get the build to the ready for primer stage. I did use Mr. Surfacer on the gun port parts and forward of the windscreen, otherwise fit/finish was great.

IMG_4630_zpsohv3ujoy.jpg

Don

Great progress Don.

Interesting to read of your need for a little filler. I think Shaka had a similar experience. Since I'm getting toward the fuselage joining stage I think I should be especially careful to try to avoid the same problem. Further to that, I think every build thread I've read of one of these has used filler around the gun shrouds. Another area to be careful of I think.

Looking forward to seeing her in primer.

Cheers.

Has been a while since the last update. I've managed to build and paint the main gear. I used the kit gear instead of the G Factor set as i couldn't see an improvement over the stock gear, i think the aftermarket would even need more work than the stock stuff. It was all painted Tamiya XF-83 Medium Sea Grey. I used Bare Metal foil on the oleos.

IMG_4634_zps9xzxuzwh.jpg

The prop i primed and painted yellow on the tips, then masked and sprayed flat black. The spinner was primed and painted yellow, then i masked with Eduard spiral mask and painted flat black. This is just dry fitted, i still have to mask and spray the prop hub.

IMG_4635_zpsvfktavvw.jpg

Something that arrived a few weeks ago was this decal sheet from Fundekals. I didn't have the proper C roundels for the upper wing, this sheet gives me a complete set of roundels and fin flash.

IMG_4636_zpsuqroypdy.jpg

Updates will slow down, got some stuff to take care of.

Don

Yeah, great stuff Don. The masking on the spinner is tight. that looks superb.

The polished metal oleos look great too. Are you going to use a wash over them at all? In the past I've run a thin wash of black or very dark brown around the top and bottom of the polished metal which creates a neat demarcation and helps the brightwork pop.

Cheers.