Hasegawa F6F Hellcat

wingman777

The interior green doesn't look so vivid in person but this new camera is making it look extra bright. As mentioned earlier, take a look at this now because once the fuselage halves are joined you won't notice much of this. One more tip is the use of the "Archers Dry Transfers" data plates. They look like decals but you just put them in place and rub over them with a pencil. They look fantastic and you can read every word of them if you have a magnifying glass handy. I've put a few of them, (I think three) on the cockpit wall for this image. I use them anywhere I can cause they add convincing detail.

Oooops, don't know what hapened to that image but this one shows a shot of the cockpit now that the fuselage is joined. The overall fit of the Verlinden cockpit and kit are pretty good but not fabulous. Anybody with some decent modeling skill will jump right through the process.

post-345-1284747643.jpg

That cockpit is looking the biz, mate. Fantastic! It's funny you should mention superdetailing the Revell Wildcat. I've got a bunch of them now, and have evil plans for all of them!

One more tip is the use of the "Archers Dry Transfers" data plates.

I can see from your photos how good they look, but where did you get them?

Kev

Yep, you guessed...I pulled a fast one and I'm doing a double build. It's a classic Russ move so I thought it appropriate. I'm going to build an early -5 that still has the rear windows and a late model -5 that doesn't. It gives me a chance to show off some of the optional features of this kit while doing direct comparisons of the available aftermarket vs kit parts. I think Russ would approve and maybe toss in a few humorous comments.

post-345-1284762688.jpg

Oh one more note....if you look closely at the armor plating behind the headrest there has been a change. The kit and resin pieces had you position them where they had a tilt forward so I went along with it. I started looking more closely at the reference images for the -3 and -5 and neither had the tilted head rest. They both had the armor plating and padded part of the headrest in vertical position with no tilt so I had to make the necessary adjustments and they are correct now..

Nice work Ronnie! I have a couple of these in the stash, and they are a decent base to work with. The first I am building will be as close to out-of-the-box as I can muster, just trying to stick to the IPMS rules as close as I can. The second will be super-detailed. I like the look of the Verlinden cockpit- Not bad for it's vintage. Just relized you are building two of them at once. You are a madman!

I did notice that my boxings have no painting instructions. Odd. I think I will be using the first as an experiment for painting techniques, as I have to finish up a couple of projects and I have not airbrushed in awhile.

Please keep the updates coming. I like what you have accomplished so far.

Later-

THOR :DodgeBall:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Yeah, speaking of momentum....it's been nearly two months since I've posted any progress on this build. The format has changed and I don't see the familiar "browse" button so I can upload my new images. Did I miss the tutorial on this? A little help? Somebody?

Yeah, speaking of momentum....it's been nearly two months since I've posted any progress on this build. The format has changed and I don't see the familiar "browse" button so I can upload my new images. Did I miss the tutorial on this? A little help? Somebody?

Unfortunately we've had to disable image uploads for security reasons. More info at the following link:

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=31773

Either Dave or myself (or perhaps Charlie as an initiation rite!) will get something together outlining the alternatives as soon as we can.

Kev