Rules of the Road

• 2 months later...

Hello all!

I have been following this Tribute to Eric Brown GB with much interest, as I have read many times Wings of the Luftwaffe, a fascinating book

on his impression of the main Luftwaffe types he flew. Eric Brown stands out as one of the greatest test pilots ever.

Some of these aircraft have been modeled here, notably the He 219 and the Ar 234.

I am surprised that one aircraft has not yet been presented here: the Grumman Wildcat or Martlet as it was initially named in the RN.

I knew very little about Martlet, but after a bit of research on the internet and a recent article about Eric Brown on the Audacity, I became

interested in modeling the Martlet I, originally from a French order. 

Of course there is no such kit in 1/32.

At the start I purchased a Hobby Craft F4F-4 (the Trumpeter kit)

And I have been discovering all the changes to make!

If any one has drawings of the Martlet I, I would be very interested as it would help in making the conversion possible!

Best Regards,

and wish me luck ...

• 2 weeks later...

Michael Borner has asked me to upload the following photo of interest to the Group Build:

post-3071-0-29622700-1472261457_thumb.jpg

Here's Michael's description of the photo:

...my late Father WOP/AG Borner of 279 Squadron standing by the tail of Junkers 188 1H+AT Wk No 190335 which landed at RAF FRaserbrough on 2nd May 1945 having been flown from Norway by its defecting German crew. As previously mentioned the aircraft was subsequently tested by Eric "Winkle" Brown and I have a letter from him confirming this.

Thanks for sending this in, Michael!

Kev

• 2 months later...

OK folks, just a couple more days on this one, and then we're done. If you know you're not going to finish, and would like your build moved over to the WiP forum, just let one of us mods know (or post the request in your build thread). We really encourage you to do so, rather than let the thread end. We all want to see these builds finished!

Kev

As we come to the end of this Group Build, I'd like to thank all those who took part, even if you didn't finish (much like your host). Congratulations to those who finished a model, or a few models. We certainly have a very healthy gallery in tribute to Eric Brown.

Hang on a sec, I'm just about to post some pics; and well said, congratulations to my fellow participants.  I've had fun, bright red plastic and decal disasters notwithstanding.

Edited by MikeC

Hi Kev - thanks for setting this group build up - I wish there were far more hours in the day so I might have stood an outside chance in hitting this group build deadline.

Please can you move me to WIP as I'll certainly be continuing with my Winkle Airacobra build when work/life and AMS allow

Cheers,

Torben