1:24 Grumman F7F Tigercat N7654C

airscale

..and now for something mildly different...

One of my all-time favourite aircraft is the Tigercat and despite years of waiting there is still no injection moulded kit of it, so rather than wait any longer I am going to try and make one myself..

I thought about using the combat / ID vacform but then thought why not go completely mad and try it in 1/24. The basis will be an upscaled Fly Models 1/33 card (yes, card) kit. It arrived today and tomorrow it is going to the printshop to be blown up by 37.5% to form the templates for a 1/24 version :mental:

the engines will come from a Kinetic P47 (copied in resin) which I will get once I prove to myself it's viable.. I did some home vac-forming on my Sea Fury so I figure I can do bits like the nosecone, cowlings etc that way..

..such are dreams made of so we will see..  if it works out it opens the door to a whole world of LSPs not available in kit form, if it doesn't, it will be a pretty public failure, but hey, we don't know unless we try..

I haven't fully decided which airframe yet, but am not a great fan of GSB so likely this one - TBM Inc Tanker #E63 N7654C an F7F3. It's important the lines are not ruined by the large tank usually carried but thanks to Warbird Information Exchange I found these shots of it without it...

WIP11_zps0b93c2fe.jpg

..Card models are all new to me, so lets see what's in the 'kit'..

WIP01_zpsb0a6dd32.jpg

..exploded diagrams - ok can understand that...

WIP02_zpsc8307b9d.jpg

WIP04_zps396407d5.jpg

..assembly diagrams - check. seems straightforward...

WIP03_zps898aac10.jpg

..pattern parts - ok.. reminds me of the old balsa kits I had a bash at in the last century as a boy...

WIP05_zpsc5b69782.jpg

..WTF...

WIP06_zps6e189a2e.jpg

..oh boy - these are the skins - will have to use these as templates in plastic, maybe some sheet metal litho, rivet first or not - this is going to be a steep learning curve...

WIP07_zps7d6d62d0.jpg

..interior parts - think I will be fine with these :ninja:

WIP09_zps41ae21f7.jpg

..as if I was ever going to build two R2800's cylinder by cylinder - total respect for these card modellers...

WIP10_zpsa95c88cd.jpg

..so, we will see what happens next - in my head I can crack on quite quickly with the fuselage as actually it's just about using the templates to create a 1mm plastic card substructure and then play around skinning it...

..thanks to big matt for the inspiration with his Helldiver - reading this made me realise I wanted a change and to move projects around to do something I have literally always wanted..

..I think I need a check-up from the neck up :P

TTFN

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Peter

You're a mad man ..and I just can't wait for the adventure to begin.

Good luck with the project and I'll be following every step of the way.

Keep 'em coming :popcorn:

Peter

Way to go Peter!  :evil_laugh:

I keep my fingers crossed for your project. Word of advice. This kit is rather old, and if I'm not mistaken designed in the era when it was done by hand, i.e. without the help of computer and 3D modeling software. That alone may cause some slight inaccuracies. I've seen the kit built but I don't remember any particular issues it may have. I would also advise checking the kit against your references. I'm not convinced the designer did his homework and his work is reliable. 

Good luck! I wish you a lot of perseverance. I would really like to see a paper kit transferred to plastic someday.

Edited by Tomek

The T-Cat as anyone on this site who knows me, is in my top 3 all time favorite airframes of all time..................maybe likely even #1.

FOLLOWING!!!    :lol:

If you have any interest, and since this would be a model of my all time air-frame made by one of the best modelers I know of, if it helps your cause Peter I have the combat vac kit, and while its one of the worst vac pulls ive EVER seen, it did come with something nice.......

A really decent set of three views with fuselage former templates and all. I have measured it against the most solid documentation I had access to, and the plans seem solid. Im pretty sure the 3 views are already in 32nd IIRC. If it helps your cause, PM me and I can see about getting you  a set.

I still have the AMT 48th scale T-cat I used the Fire-Cat conversion on...............foiled and coated with metalizers and still have contact with Normal Stubbs who ran the TBM firefighters, as well as sponsoring "Big-Bossman" (if you look on the side of the fuse of BBM you will see his name on the crew attributes). Norm gave me a lot of pointers on my 48th Firebomber if you need any maybe I can did something up:

WIP11_zps0b93c2fe.jpg

DSC00570.jpg

REALLY looking forward to progress on this one Peter!

Good show, Peter.  Do you have any specs on wingspan/fuselage length?

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Mark

I dont have my figures with me Mark but this is going to be BIG. The F7F is very close to P-38 dimensions in 1:1 so if you think about a 1/32nd P-38, and scale that up to 24th.....................BIG!

Way to go Peter!  :evil_laugh:

I keep my fingers crossed for your project. Word of advice. This kit is rather old, and if I'm not mistaken designed in the era when it was done by hand, i.e. without the help of computer and 3D modeling software. That alone may cause some slight inaccuracies. I've seen the kit built but I don't remember any particular issues it may have. I would also advise checking the kit against your references. I'm not convinced the designer did his homework and his work is reliable. 

Thanks Tomek - I am going to trust the design and try not to get too hung up on the outline too much - if I see a mistake I will correct it, but on the whole I have decided this is an experiment rather than a foray into 'true scale'. that said, I know what I am like and will probably still go mad on details etc :piliot:

The T-Cat as anyone on this site who knows me, is in my top 3 all time favorite airframes of all time..................maybe likely even #1.

I still have the AMT 48th scale T-cat I used the Fire-Cat conversion on...............foiled and coated with metalizers and still have contact with Normal Stubbs who ran the TBM firefighters, as well as sponsoring "Big-Bossman" (if you look on the side of the fuse of BBM you will see his name on the crew attributes). Norm gave me a lot of pointers on my 48th Firebomber if you need any maybe I can did something up:

DSC00570.jpg

Thanks Brian - I think I am actually building this with you in mind! I know as well as anyone how much you love the 'cat - what I didn't know was you had built such a superb model of one though - any WIP anywhere? I can see I will be coming to you for colour details etc though!

Thanks for the offer of plans - I will see how I get on with what I have and will let you know

Good show, Peter.  Do you have any specs on wingspan/fuselage length?

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Mark

Thanks Mark - when I was at the printer this morning I asked for the 3 view to be blown up to 654.1mm wingspan which matches my refs (15.8m real size) - this compares pretty well with the Airfix Mossie at 688mm span and 522mm Length (vs 654mm & 574mm for the Tigercat)

I am just waiting for them to call so i can go get the print outs and the starting gun will go...

TTFN

Peter