Revell Spitfire II kit design?

RBrown

While meandering the net I stumbled onto these Spitfire drawings. http://www.geocities.jp/yoyuso/spit1a/spit1ae.html

The drawings were created by Jumpei Temma , an exceptionally skilled modeler and artist.  What I found noteworthy was the how well they match the Revell 1/32 Spitfire II.  Just curious if these drawing had any role in the kit's design?

Hi RBrown, I can't comment on whether or not the drawings were used in the production of the kit but if you compare the model with images of AR213, JZ-E /P7308, XR-D based at Duxford and you'll notice remarkable similarities.

The small strengthening plates on the wings, the bumps on the spinner, the shape of the bumps on the engine cowlings, the oil cooler intake shape under the port wing, the position lights let into the fuel tank plating to mention a few. All match that particular airframe. Food for thought.....

Hi RBrown, I can't comment on whether or not the drawings were used in the production of the kit but if you compare the model with images of AR213, JZ-E /P7308, XR-D based at Duxford and you'll notice remarkable similarities.

The small strengthening plates on the wings, the bumps on the spinner, the shape of the bumps on the engine cowlings, the oil cooler intake shape under the port wing, the position lights let into the fuel tank plating to mention a few. All match that particular airframe. Food for thought.....

Excellent observation Geedubelyer!  There is definitely a remarkable correspondence between the Revell kit and these particular examples.

Incidentally there is evidence that the larger oil cooler was fitted to some Mk IIs on the production line.  Although I have not been able to pin down the exact date, but very likely the spring of 1941.

Edited by RBrown