56 squadron Spitfire IX LF

I felt the same Den, I've only just started of course so plenty of time for ****-ups but the fit of parts is so precise and the plastic is beautiful to work with, very "crisp". I'm following the instructions VERY closely, which I don't usually do and leaving all the parts on the sprues until I need them. You, for sure, will enjoy a Tamiya Spit and very successfully without doubt.

Max

It's an absolutely filthy day outside today so a great excuse to get on with the Merlin, though it's slow progress as usual.  I've used a piece of 1.6mm plastic rod for the main fuel line feeder then drilled 0.3mm holes for the individual lines, these are lead wire.  I've used lead sheet strips for brackets.  I'm going to use some gold wire thread (bottom left) for the flexible length of hose which comes out of the top of the starboard magneto to the aft of the main fuel line, it's great stuff because you can bend it to shape and it holds that shape. 

DSCN9735_zpsejshczid.jpg

DSCN9740_zpsdoa2o1ke.jpg

I've drilled out the holes for the spark plugs, I'm going to see if I can strip the outer plastic sheath off the orange wire to locate into the cylinder block, leave a short length of sheathing in place to represent the plug, then strip the next length off for the plug lead.  We'll see if it works!

DSCN9737_zpsds5vlq2m.jpg

Max

Edited by mozart

The orange wire was overscale so I'm using 0.4mm wire and stripping off just the "ignition lead" end.  This shows the position, as far as I can determine it, of the "loom" for want of a better word for the group of ignition leads running to the magneto, but to make life easier in the long run I had to cut off one lump of electrical equipment that I had already glued in place:

DSCN9741_zpsxdlkipif.jpg

DSCN9743_zpswgvfzwuo.jpg

This shows the correct port-side loom connecting with the magneto, just have to go and drill six 0.3mm holes in the 1mm rod now!

DSCN9745_zpsqutdm4q9.jpg

Max
Edited by mozart

Man, you don't waste time!! Great that you're doing a step-by-step on the wiring and plumbing. The engine subassembly was such a treat to build but the wiring and plumbing was intimidating. Will follow along.

Don

Thanks Don, but bear in mind this is just my interpretation of how things are, but I guess, I hope, for our purposes it's going to be accurate enough! :)

Looks great Max! I might have to try this and detail an engine sometime.

Carl

I'm a bit of a sucker for detailing engines Carl, especially radials.  I think it can make a huge difference to the authentic appearance of a build.

The port side is plumbed in, looks a bit untidy at the moment but once the CA is firmly set I hope to be able to neaten things up!

DSCN9747_zpstsujdmch.jpg

Max

That looks excellent! There's no issue painting the engine fully assembled? Handling/detailing/assembling painted parts looks to be a royal pain, but I figured painting it would be difficult with a component with so many crack/crevices?

That looks excellent! There's no issue painting the engine fully assembled? Handling/detailing/assembling painted parts looks to be a royal pain, but I figured painting it would be difficult with a component with so many crack/crevices?

That's a good point Shaka and one that I had considered beforehand, I'm letting Julian's build be my guide on this matter since I'm aiming for his finish - primarily black - so I think it will be ok, especially airbrushing. Detail work of course will be with a fine brush.

Max

With the detailed, comprehensive and acclaimed Tamiya Spitfire IX kit I thought I wouldn't need to discipline myself not to buy any AM, but not so!  Just had to buy Barracuda's sublime detail bits for the cockpit!  I'm such a sucker for extras...:)

DSCN9749_zpsxrexmzdq.jpg

Talking of extras, I think I've done as much pipework on the Merlin 66 as needed to make it look busier:

DSCN9757_zps21fbgfrr.jpg

DSCN9754_zpsxuwxipy3.jpg

DSCN9750_zpsljn3w9ro.jpg

It's been primed, I'm looking forward to the painting and weathering stage next.
Max