Best fix or aftermarket for 1:28 Fokker D.VII fuselage

oyoy5

I tried many of these corrections (as well as making several errors along the way) some time ago, but never finished the project.

I can see why.

The fuselage and wing modifications alone practically make this a scratch-build.

I am into only doing minimum mod's and enjoying building the kit over scratch-building, not worrying silly, subtle details that the average person won't notice, like my Monogram F3F-3:

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=70607&hl=

I agree to a very large point on the D.VII, I finally got the kit and now I'm like holy crap this is a ton of work. I'm with you on building kits as is nice F3F-3

What I am getting at is some silly "experts" contend with nonsense like the Monogram's kits wings, which come from their Gulfhawk kit needed replacing with some slightly larger after-market ones, etc., etc.

Basically I choose to ignore those who basically want to take the fun out of building an older kit that they themselves do not have the balls to own, much less buy and build an older out-of-production collectors classic.

If they are so idiosyncratically preoccupied with such silly minutiae, that is their problem, so why should I let them make it mine and mess up my model-building pleasure?

All I see is cheap talk on their part, not results.

If I had your D-7, I would simply look at the Copper State stuff that appeals to me and is available and ignore the critics and enjoy building it with the made-to-fit a/m stuff, take pictures, show off your best skills, and let them improve with practice.

Life is too short, build and enjoy and show-off to your friends who will appreciate your efforts, and...

Edited by Gigant

Watch the derogatory comments, Gigant. Some people like to make their model of a subject as accurate as possible, others like to build kits out of the box. Either approach is totally acceptable. There is no need for the name calling, and any further comments like that will be edited. 

Unfortunately, I have a bunch started and unfinished. Trying to get some caught up. Had basically a two year hiatus with some personal issues as well as taking a writing class, restoring a couple of cars and now remodeling a house to get sold.

Here is one up your alley, though, an out of the box (per IPMS USA rules): Yak-18

The latest was this 1:1 scale Cannon-armed Spitfire stick. It is still unfinished, although I have made progress on the base and taken more pics, but haven't had time to post yet.

I also work on stuff non-aircraft. Here is a thread where I have been experimenting on new techniques.

Once I finish this @#%^& remodel, I hope to get more modeling done! I have a Fw190A under construction, a Fisher Models Cougar, Revell Mirage, 38t, M3A3, and on and on and on...

I can certainly relate, Ray. If one were to go by my finished model threads, one could easily assume that I don't build models at all, when in fact, I work on stuff constantly, and have been doing so for decades. Just because you don't see something here on the forums, doesn't mean I'm not doing it.

Too true, my build articles go Waaaay back - life is models but life is life sometimes!

I did carve up a couple of my D-VII kits as FSM shows, wasn't so big a job really.

They have yet to be built, but are ready when life permits.

Ray, I already have the 1/18 P-40 painted desert scheme, about to apply decals!

If one were to go by my finished model threads, one could easily assume that I don't build models at all...

Precisely. And, not everyone builds for applause, so they don't bother trying to spark an intelligent conversation in the midst of mindless cheer-leader or drunken-pub type posts.

D