Brengun N1K2-J Detail Set

Bill_S

You can fill the return with resin.

Sincerely,

Mark

I was thinking that too Mark, I am just not really familiar with pouring resin, so was thinking of something I was more familiar with.  However, resin to resin would probably be ideal.   Where does one procure such pourable resin? (aka not needed for official resin pulls as such)

I was thinking that too Mark, I am just not really familiar with pouring resin, so was thinking of something I was more familiar with.  However, resin to resin would probably be ideal.   Where does one procure such pourable resin? (aka not needed for official resin pulls as such)

http://www.amazon.com/Alumilite-Amazing-Casting-Resin-16-Ounce/dp/B0058V9KMK

There's this one, too...

http://www.smooth-on.com/Urethane-Plastic-a/c5/index.html

I bought some at a college bookstore.

Thanks for the link, Mark. The original article was published back in 2000. I wonder if Randy would have done anything different if he were to do this conversion today! 

He was off the mark on one thing, though. The Rex conversion is MUCH harder to find than the Revell George.

DSCN07511_zps67zugunx.jpg

Brengun N1K2-J Detail Set (BRL 32017)

Included in the package is a single PE fret, a film with instruments and gunsight reflectors, and the instruction sheet.

The photoetch appears to be stainless steel, and contains well over a hundred individual parts. The level of surface detail on the metal parts is excellent.

The focus of this set is the cockpit, but there are parts included to dress up the engine and gear bays as well. The cockpit enhancements:

• Complete instrument panel
  • Additions to foot pedals
  • Seat details and harnesses
  • Ringsight and reflectors
  • Numerous sidewall details, including modifications to the throttle quadrant
  • Additions to the starboard side floor console
  • Nearly complete replacement of the port side floor console

The instructions, printed on a single sheet, are purely pictorial, and seem to me to be very clear. Twenty-one separate steps are required to utilize the entire set.

This set is fairly comprehensive, and will provide a definite enhancement to a cockpit that has been heralded as one of Hasegawa's best. The tiny parts may require magnifying lenses and a steady hand. I would suggest backing them with low tack tape prior to removing them from the fret. I believe this set to be a good value for the cost. Recommended.

Bill Scarbrough

Edited by Bill_S

DSCN07511_zps67zugunx.jpg

Brengun N1K2-J Detail Set (BRL 32017)

Included in the package is a single PE fret, a film with instruments and gunsight reflectors, and the instruction sheet.

The photoetch appears to be stainless steel, and contains well over a hundred individual parts. The level of surface detail on the metal parts is excellent.

The focus of this set is the cockpit, but there are parts included to dress up the engine and gear bays as well. The cockpit enhancements:

• Complete instrument panel
  • Additions to foot pedals
  • Seat details and harnesses
  • Ringsight and reflectors
  • Numerous sidewall details, including modifications to the throttle quadrant
  • Additions to the starboard side floor console
  • Nearly complete replacement of the port side floor console

The instructions, printed on a single sheet, are purely pictorial, and seem to me to be very clear. Twenty-one separate steps are required to utilize the entire set.

This set is fairly comprehensive, and will provide a definite enhancement to a cockpit that has been heralded as one of Hasegawa's best. The tiny parts may require magnifying lenses and a steady hand. I would suggest backing them with low tack tape prior to removing them from the fret. I believe this set to be a good value for the cost. Recommended.

Bill Scarbrough

Thanks for taking the time to do that Bill!    I think now I can indeed go forward and purchase this set, as like the A6M2 set worked (with slight modification) for my A6M2-N, I think the N1K2-J PE set will work just fine for me for my future N1K1 Kyofu conversion.

Ive actually seen that casting resin down at my local Hobby Lobby, and will have to pick some up. I think that would be a perfect thing to back that cowl with, as its going to need a LOT of reshaping to even remotely be accurate looking. Im not even after perfection, but the SB cowl is indeed quite off.

See the one and only SB Kyofu that seems to come up in any searches. It looks like the OOB cowl to me:

rexrl_2.jpg