Verlinden 1/32 US Navy Carrier Fire Tractor

Animalmother

As we all love to build our 1/32 Aircraft, it's nice from time to time to build a little something extra just to set off our latest project on a Diorama or scene. As I love my US Navy Fighters, I'm building a large shelf disguised as a Carrier Deck, on this will be a collection of Navy Jets past and present. So that in mind my next project will be the Trumperer 1/32 F-14D Super Tomcat. So until I save enough for the Kit plus the Eduard and Aires update sets, I'm gonna start with this little fella. Yes its not a Plane but I think its just as important and hopfully I won't get this post deleted by building something without wings (or Rotors). Right enough of that, lets get on with it.

USNFireTractor01.jpg

This is the kit and hats off to Historex Agents for there super fast service as I ordered it on Saturday night and here it is on Tuesday Morning.

USNFireTractor02.jpg

This is the Instructions and a little different from what I'm used too, but I'm sure I'll be able to follow them as everything is numbered and is shown in place rather than the exploded view we're used to.

USNFireTractor04.jpg

Now this kit is made of Resin and as some of you will be aware of (If you use update cockpits and the like), Resin is pretty nasty stuff to cut and sand as the dust is Poisonous, if its breathed in it can cause problems, so that in mind wear a dust mask or a respirator. All the parts are nicely molded and the detail is quite crisp.

USNFireTractor06.jpg

The largest part is the main body of the Tractor and it is quite a lump, this was molded upside down and has quite a lot of waste to remove, but I think it looks worse than it really is as I only need to open up the wheel wells, tidy up the ends and sand the bottom a little. One little fault is in the Drivers position, just under the dash.

USNFireTractor08.jpg

Theres a little piece of waste that needs to be removed, its a bit fiddly but if you take your time it'll be fine.

USNFireTractor10.jpg

Just a final sand and you'd never know.

Well thats day one, I'll be back tomorrow with a little more.

Andy.

Edited by LSP_Kevin

Well I've had a great day in my little studio working on the Fire Tractor and to be honest its done !! There's not that many parts to it and I do like to Super Detail my models, but on this one there's not that much detail to.... eh.... super. I have added a few little bits here and there that appear in my reference photos but are not on the model.

USNFireTractor11.jpg

First of all was to take off all the waste resin from the underside, I did add a couple of pencil lines to guide me on the angle.

USNFireTractor13.jpg

The result seems tidy enough.

USNFireTractor18.jpg

After removing the pour plugs from the wheels I needed to cut the treads back in, and I have a great little tool for doing this.

USNFireTractor19.jpg

Looks pretty good, I did slip a couple of times but managed to sand the mistakes out.

USNFireTractor29.jpg

Next I drilled out the hose connector ends and cut the waste out from the handle, now there are quite a few things to drill out or cut waste from with this kit, take your time on them as the resin is very brittle and will snap if you got a little heavy handed with them.

USNFireTractor20.jpg

USNFireTractor21.jpg

USNFireTractor16.jpg

This is one of the hose connectors in place.

USNFireTractor22.jpg

On the front of the tractor I added a couple of shackles made from fuse wire, also added the lift lugs.

USNFireTractor23.jpg

With the kit you get three lengths of rubber hose, I drilled out the nozzles and glued in the hose.

More later.

Andy.

Well two days of painting, masking and painting some more and I'm almost done. Still got the Hose's to attach and some more stains, chipping and a final weathering to do. I'll give the tires a little weathering too but as the never leave the Carrier Deck they won't be that dirty. So this is where I stand at the moment.

USNFireTractor30.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Andy.