HpH Models SB2C-4 Helldiver Build Thread 7/4 Details

LSP_Paul

Excellent review, Paul.  HpH makes hellova fine models.

Sincerely,

Mark

Thanks Mark,

I hope you will pop in from time to time and keep me on track, make sure I keep what's left of my sanity. :mental: 

I'm going to try to make this a fun model to watch being built, we will see if I win or the model does. :rofl: 

Paul 

I am watching with interest.  If I can be of any assistance, just let me know.  I have a bit of Helldiver experience under my belt!  ;)

Cheers-

chuk

Hello Chuk, glad to have you following along. :)  I am more then positive ( if one can be that ) that I will be calling out for assistance for specific detailed information/pics of things as I tackle different areas of the kit.

Paul 

That's great looking kit Paul and will be very interested in watching your build, HpH kits are just amazing, but you really do need to be thinking a few steps in front at all stages on one of these builds or you will be in for a whole lot of pain however fine the quality of the castings in your hand look.

You also seem to have lots of there very nice PE to play with on this on this one.

Regards. Andy

That's great looking kit Paul and will be very interested in watching your build, HpH kits are just amazing, but you really do need to be thinking a few steps in front at all stages on one of these builds or you will be in for a whole lot of pain however fine the quality of the castings in your hand look.

You also seem to have lots of there very nice PE to play with on this on this one.

Regards. Andy

Thanks for following along Andy!  I am sure we will find at least one " interesting way" of things needing to be assembled, that's what makes it fun!

All the best,

Paul

You're all over this like a dog on a pork chop, Paul. Let me take a guess,... you like this kit?

Emmm HMmmmm! I do love this kit. :)  I've already got a bag and half of resin cleaned up as well as one fuselage side. The wafers on a lot of the parts are cast on are paper thin and come off very easily. The large pour stubs are thin where they connect to the part, so it's been really easy going, just tedious.

Paul

I got this kit  late morning of the 26th, carefully unpacked and studied the kit, made notes and an outline for the review, took the pics, wrote the review, uploaded and collated the pics and text, edited everything down and submitted the review. Then I posted my build review, answered emails, PMs, build thread posts, and went to bed at 230 AM. Yesterday I got up at 8, and by 10 I was cleaning parts off and on for 7 hours. 

For anybody who hasn't had the pleasure of cleaning an entire kits resin of pour stubs, it takes a while.   :)

2 hours into my first bag of parts and 3 "big" parts I thought to myself  " I'm going to be here a bit". I started with the biggest bag of resin and have 5 medium sized ones to go.  I did get one fuselage side and one wing top and bottom done, and my paint just showed up from Sprue Brothers!   :yahoo: Modeling is good.

It's now noonish on the 29th, here is where we are.

What I'm doing now is cleaning everything up before I construct assemblies. I've chosen to do this so I'm not constantly having to clean up seams as I build an assembly so I cleaned then either lightly marking parts with pencil or have been bagging and tagging them so when I start to build the kit, nothing goes missing and it's ready to use.  I have also been test fitting as I can to make sure all the parts will fit without interference from adjoining parts, this has been a problem on occasion with resin kits.  

post-3619-0-01993200-1467228062.jpg

Notes:

The opening for the tail wheel assembly and tail hook mounting location require clean up with a knife and file and I removed material and profiled the openings slightly with my Dremel and a tiny carbide tip at low speed. I will make the final adjustments to these openings once I get the fuselage  halves closed.

The leading edge and outer wing tip of both the top and bottom wing are cast with the pour stubs thickness attached to the inside surface of the wing. ( see black lined area in pics). To complicate this, there is mold seepage in a few spots, so go slow cutting through it. I used a razor saw, and the backside of an xacto knife blade to slowly scribe the wing parts from the pour stub, then used a stiff sanding block with various grades of sandpaper to make sure the wings leading edges and tips were sanded flat and into profile. 

post-3619-0-99561100-1467228087.jpg

post-3619-0-26676100-1467228125.jpgpost-3619-0-27412700-1467228154.jpg

Thanks for following along, I'm going back to cleaning parts now

Paul