• Please log in to reply
507 replies to this topic

#496 MostlyRacers

MostlyRacers

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,102 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 07:27 PM

They will surely tell you that these cowlings look awfully empty .... :DodgeBall: :)

Hubert, the smart a$$
  • harvey and Out2gtcha like this

#497 geedubelyer

geedubelyer

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,672 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 08:38 PM

Good to see your Tigercat all mocked up Brian.
I was lucky enough to get to hold a built up model on Hph's stand last November and can attest to just how heavy this model feels with all of the weight inside.
It's nice to see you beginning to enjoy your big Cat after all of your hard work. Hope it's all plain sailing from here on in.
Cheers.
  • Out2gtcha likes this

#498 monthebiff

monthebiff

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 10:10 PM

That looks so good Brian, your tenacity with this build is really paying off.......keep going!

Regards. Andy

• Out2gtcha likes this

#499 Out2gtcha

Out2gtcha

• LSP Moderator
  • 21,590 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 04:20 PM

Thanks again guys. The Tigercat was surprising hit last night at the IPMS meet. Its SO big and heavy, that the poor JH Models stand was swaying and wobbling back and forth as anyone bumped the display table it was setting on. Although I didnt have 2nd pair of supports for the wings on, so Im sure that contributed to the wobbliness. 

I really need to find some clear resin or clear thick plastic to make new wing tip lights out of, as that is what is holding the next step up which is working on getting the wings glued on, and empennage on. I could do this before fixing the wing tips, but it will be SO much easier to work the wing tips back into shape without them glued into the heavy fuselage, that Im going to leave the wings off till I get those tips fixed. 

In the mean time, until I find some suitable thick plastic or resin for the wing-tip lights, if Im honest there is a myriad of things I can be working on, which I will likely do, like starting on the nacelle interiors, or starting the beautiful R2800s. The engines I will build in unison, since its just doubling each stage. Im still not sure what Im doing about the exhausts yet either, as they look kind of weird as most of them dont even touch the back of the engine itself. Once the cowl is on though you really cant see up in there to the back of the engine, so I may leave those as is, I cant tell yet. 

• harvey, Phartycr0c, mmaben and 1 other like this

#500 Clunkmeister

Clunkmeister

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,443 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 07:23 PM

Brian, I haven't checked in here for a bit, so let's just say I'm gobsmacked. It fits better than the average Trumpeter kit too!

Brian, the more I look at those squared off wingtip shapes, they just look all wrong.  So yeah, I agree with you 100% there. some rounding of the edges will hopefully fix that...

Edited by Clunkmeister, 22 February 2018 - 07:28 PM.

• harvey likes this

Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker

#501 Vandy 1 VX 4

Vandy 1 VX 4

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,429 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 08:19 PM

I'm not sure how the Tigercats wingtip lights look like.

But have you thought of using clear sprue. Or in some cases of used big diameter fiber optics and warmed up the end so it would mushroom over. Shaped it and Polished it
  • harvey likes this

Candy is Dandy but Liquor is Quicker :beer4:

#502 Phartycr0c

Phartycr0c

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 08:52 AM

Nice work Brian, 

Does this kit not come with coloured lenses for the tip lights? the reason I say this is that the FW189 and Helldiver both come with pre coloured lenses 

Failing this, have you thought about clear plastic toothbrushes (green red blue)

Appropriate shaped shavings from these make great tip lights, they are really cheap too.

The bristles can also be used for static wicks so a completely usable cheap  "green" product.  

Eagles may soar, but weasles dont get sucked into jet engines!

#503 Ohm-men

Ohm-men

LSP Junkie

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 10:14 AM

I'd suggest some clear plexi (cutoffs) for the wingtip lights. I have used these in the past to create them and although a bit harder to sand, very easy to polish out and also easy to drill. Since plexi is much harder then clear sprue, it's also easier to saw and grind without loosing shape. I'm not too familiar with inch measurement, but a plexi plate with a thickness of 1cm (a bit less then half an inch) is more then thick enough to create most wingtip lights.

Perhaps it's easy to find cutoffs of plexi plates at a DIY store that also cuts these plates for it's customers (that's where I usually get these). Most cutoffs have a green or blue shade in them, but once sawed, grinded, sanded and polished, they apear clear as glass.

#504 Out2gtcha

Out2gtcha

• LSP Moderator
  • 21,590 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 12:48 PM

Thanks guys. Yes, the F7F had clear lenses with the re/green bulb inside, so fully tinted or colored lenses are out. That is indeed part of the problem is that finding clear thick plastic in the form of a toothbrush is impossible locally. They just dont seem to make it.

So, my next step is the Home Depots or Lowes type home improvement stores, to see if I can find some sort of thick Plexiglas or plastic that might be suitable. Ill definitely ask them about waste material/cutoffs if I find the right size or thickness of material, as although the tip lights would have to be fairly thick, the overall size of the material is not that much.

• harvey likes this

#505 RLWP

RLWP

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 12:59 PM

Thanks guys. Yes, the F7F had clear lenses with the re/green bulb inside, so fully tinted or colored lenses are out. That is indeed part of the problem is that finding clear thick plastic in the form of a toothbrush is impossible locally. They just dont seem to make it.

So, my next step is the Home Depots or Lowes type home improvement stores, to see if I can find some sort of thick Plexiglas or plastic that might be suitable. Ill definitely ask them about waste material/cutoffs if I find the right size or thickness of material, as although the tip lights would have to be fairly thick, the overall size of the material is not that much.

If you are looking for scrap clear plastic, see if you can find a local sign maker. Some of them machine the stuff into letters and have generous scrap bins

Be careful how much you come away with, you may not have that many projects left...

Richard

#506 Out2gtcha

Out2gtcha

• LSP Moderator
  • 21,590 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 01:10 PM

If you are looking for scrap clear plastic, see if you can find a local sign maker. Some of them machine the stuff into letters and have generous scrap bins

Great idea!  I think I may or may not have seen a couple of these type places locally that do everything including 3D printed stuff old fashioned plastic signs, neon and the whole gambit.  Ill have to take a stop by one of them and see what they have.

Thanks! 

• harvey likes this

#507 Wolf Buddee

Wolf Buddee

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,331 posts

Posted 24 February 2018 - 06:13 PM

I found a couple pics I took a number of years ago when I worked security for the local airshow. A little inspiration for you Brian.

Cheers,

Wolf

Tigercat2.jpg

Tigercat1.jpg

• LSP_Kevin, harvey, Out2gtcha and 2 others like this

#508 Ol' Scrapiron

Ol' Scrapiron

• LSP_Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 24 February 2018 - 11:30 PM

Interesting pics Wolf... I immediately went to my own pics of Tigercats I have photographed and found some of what I think is the same plane taken at Paine Field in Washington.

TIGERCAT-Paine-Field-2012-1122.JPG

But the times I've seen it at HFF and FHC airshows, F7F-3 80483 carries “Bad Kitty” artwork, and there are not guns near the nose gear. Wait, on closer inspection I see the guns but they are painted to match the body so very discreet compared to the metal fairings in your shots. I was thinking there must have been two airplanes with similar 483 markings, but must simply have been updated between our two shots. Nevermind.  :doh:

TIGERCAT-Paine-Field-2012-1112.JPG

No guns visible on 80410 down in Pima though (below)

F7F-3-Pima-03-23-17-9524.jpg

-------

Brian, your project is absolutely fantastic, so I am not even going to pretend you have any need of reference shots by this point. Just another pic for inspiration as you near the finish line (while the rest of us stare with dropped jaws.)

Tigercat-aviation-day-2013-9128.jpg

Edited by Ol' Scrapiron, 25 February 2018 - 12:54 AM.

• harvey, Out2gtcha, mmaben and 1 other like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: F7F, Tigercat, HpH, Grumman

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users