My New Venture - KLP Publishing

LSP_Kevin

Good luck with this venture Kev, looking at your modelling skills it should be a success.

Cheers

Dennis

Thanks, Den. Luckily, I plan not to rely on my modelling skills for this venture! You'll mostly witness the magic of modellers far better than I.

Kev

I've always wanted Ralph Riese to expand upon his methods and reasoning used to accomplish the fantastic finishes on his aircraft models. He's hands down the single best model aircraft painter I've ever seen in my life, and a complete article from him, would be something that would interest me immensely. Some, perhaps even most, of his methods, are pretty clearly understood, but there's still a lot more I'd like to know about.

I've always wanted Ralph Riese to expand upon his methods and reasoning used to accomplish the fantastic finishes on his aircraft models. He's hands down the single best model aircraft painter I've ever seen in my life, and a complete article from him, would be something that would interest me immensely. Some, perhaps even most, of his methods, are pretty clearly understood, but there's still a lot more I'd like to know about.

Didn't he do that immaculate and completely intricate Me-110 night fighter a long while ago?

Thanks, Richard. I have some limited experience in the field, but that was many years ago, and it's really mostly pretty new to me. Sticking with digital means that I can at least play to my strengths. I haven't completely ruled out doing something in print some day, but that's an order of magnitude more difficult and expensive than what I'm attempting at the moment.

Kev

Print is stupid expensive. A fellow club member in Colorado started his own model magazine, Aerospace Modeler, which lasted a couple of years before costs just got to be too much.

That book looks good ! 

Good idea Kev. I wish you the best with this project.

Do you plan to print the book(s) someday? Unfortunately i'm not a digital book guy, i really prefer paper.

Thanks, Nicolas. As I mentioned earlier, I haven't ruled it out, but the costs are significant, and at this stage, prohibitive. I've had tentative talks with someone who's willing to do some test prints to assess quality and costs, so we'll see what happens. Personally I think it would make the books stupidly expensive, and no one would buy them. Because the target platform is digital, I don't have to be concerned with page count, so I can make the images and text larger than what is cost-effective for print. So, I'm effectively doubling the page count, and therefore doubling the notional printing costs, too.

Kev

Print is stupid expensive. A fellow club member in Colorado started his own model magazine, Aerospace Modeler, which lasted a couple of years before costs just got to be too much.

Yeah, I can only see it happening for special titles and the like. I am considering doing calendars, though. Thoughts?

Kev

Kev, this is great news and I wish you well with your new venture - you know what we like to see and have a proven style with all the reviews you have done so I can't wait for you to corner the market 😊

When you get around to the scratchbuild one, or want to feature metal skinning, I would love to be involved if you think I can help 😊

Great news..

Peter