Metalic wax

Hardcore

From what I have experimented with, you can but for me seemed to vary depending on brand uses over it. If buffed with finger lightly it does make for a convincing appearance but takes practice. Like with many other things, Tamiya acts differently than Vallejo. After a year of practicing trial and error for getting started on my first big build, I wound up settling on Extreme Metal because of masking. If you must use wax, you will most likely need to paint first and then do wax, or at least be prepared to mask after painting and touch up wax again because it (the wax) will lift if mask is required. General handling removes it as well. It will cure some but still more vulnerable than other methods. Sealing dulls it down so durability comes at a cost. Something I noticed is AK (Vallejo as well) acrylics seem most friendly to the wax based metallic as it appears to be designed for use with like branded products. Long story short, expect to paint first, mask, then apply wax sparingly with finger rubbing method. As with all things, allow proper curing time for each stage and protect them from each other by applying barrier coats if feasible. Interesting product and does have a nice sheen to it but usually seems more effective for smaller pieces. An exception being the big HK B-17G build "Little Miss Mischeif" by David Parker floating around the web was finished with the AK wax I believe, though I'm not certain what paint was used for the rear fuse and tail sections.