New airbrush, not impressed, need advice.

1to1scale

Chris and Tom,

I copied this from a post I did ages ago.

Hi Guys,

In reply to DeanKB's question about polishing the needle. I use Tamiya's polishing compounds, it comes in three grades for polishing plastic but it works well on metal too. You need some kitchen paper and some newspaper that has print on it. Put a dab of the coarse on the needle and put some kitchen paper over it, gripping with finger and thumb. Rotate the needle so the compound goes all the way round the circumference and keep twirling away, gradually moving along the needle towards the tip. Then clean the needle with kitchen paper with a soak of thinners. Dry the needle, do the operation again with the second grade of compound. After you've cleaned that, same again with the fine compound. After cleaning again, dry the needle and buff it with the newspaper, once again between finger and thumb, working from the back end to the tip. The paper MUST be dry.

I worked in a test cell in the RAF years ago and learnt to hand lap and polish components in tiny hydraulic swashplate motors to very high accuracy. Our final polish was with newspaper, the soft wood fibres are ideal for getting a mirror finish, the dry ink on the paper acting as a lubricant. Another tip, make sure you go back past the needle lock nut. This will ensure the polished area will be in the back end seal and being a lot smoother will seal better and move easier. Remember to lube the needle with Iwata Blue Lube, Badger Needle Juice or at a pinch, Glycerin.

Be careful, don't end up with a bent needle or the needle jabbed into your finger!

Hope this helps, I know it works and takes less than five minutes to carry out. Do a quick test before you do the mod, then another one afterwards. Your airbrush should feel better and perform better.

Regards,

Bruce Crosby

And if you want to lighten the color?

Its cellulose based, so Id probably say and lacquer paint would probably work to mix. Or even other MRP paints. that would be my likely solution to lighten or darken, as I've already acquired quite a  stable of MRP paints.