F4U-1A Corsair RNZAF- Finished and off the bench

BloorwestSiR

Carl, absolutely stunning, you built, painted and detailed more in under a month than I have in nearly 3 years on my Corsair...........

Man, that's one nice Corsair happening there buddy..........

Thanks! I took a long time on my first one so hope this isn't as bad timewise.

Nice progress, Carl. Stay-at-home Dad? Man, you are my hero!

Thanks Shaka!

Being at home has its benefits. I get to drop off and pick up my boys from school, walk our dog and make sure there's a nice meal for when my wife gets home. I even occasionally sneak a MTB ride in.

A rough life isn't it? :P

Nicely done Carl! Between you and Paul I'm kind o' gettin' the itch to get me one of these. I have to admit I'm a little intrigued by the Yahu instrument panel. A comparison would be interesting to see.

Cheers,

Wolf

Thanks Wolf! I'd like to see what you could do with such a great kit.

Here's a couple pics of the Yahu panel compared to the Eduard one.

20171220_223026-L.jpg

A close up of the Eduard panel which shows a lot of the texture and pixelation that plagues most of their pre-printed stuff.

20171220_223128-L.jpg

A similar close up on the Yahu panel. You'll see that it's even got a gloss to the dial faces while the rest of the panel is matte.

20171220_223054-L.jpg

The Yahu panels pretty much come fully assembled as well which means there's less chance of alignment issues.

Hope that helps.

Carl

Edited by BloorwestSiR

Did a bit more work on the Corsair. I had started on the wing centre section but glued in the blanking panel for the lower window instead of the window itself. So I've swapped those bits from a -1D kit in the stash and I'll start over.

In the meantime, I finished up the fuselage assembly.

20171221_130621-L.jpg

20171221_133008-L.jpg

I went with the open cowl flaps so those were attached to the engine.

20171221_133247-L.jpg

Then I attached the engine to the firewall. Everything was a perfect fit.

20171221_133730-L.jpg

20171221_133750-L.jpg

So there's some real progress being made now.

Carl

Carl

Thanks for the IP comparison photos Carl. The Yahu IP definitely looks better than Eduard's offering with regards to the instrument faces but looks rather featureless otherwise. There's no fastener details or any hint of instrument bezels. Not that the instrument bezels were very pronounced on the real IP and maybe I'm just not seeing it. I'll probably go with a modified kit IP by the look of it.

Nice work so far Carl!

Cheers,

Wolf

Guest Peterpools

Carl

Right with Wolf and appreciate the closeups of the Yahu panel - really looks good.

Nice to see the Big P&W sitting in her new home - nice progress for sure

Keep 'em comin

Peter

Thanks for the IP comparison photos Carl. The Yahu IP definitely looks better than Eduard's offering with regards to the instrument faces but looks rather featureless otherwise. There's no fastener details or any hint of instrument bezels. Not that the instrument bezels were very pronounced on the real IP and maybe I'm just not seeing it. I'll probably go with a modified kit IP by the look of it.

Nice work so far Carl!

Cheers,

Wolf

Thanks Wolf!

The printing on the Yahu panel isnkuch better but you're correct in that it looks a bit more sparse. I wonder if adding the Barracuda stencils to it would end up giving you the best of both worlds?

With your skills, I think you'd knock it out of the park with the kit IP.

That engine looks FANTASTIC! Great attention to the details! So much one can learn from these builds.

Mike

Thanks Mike!

I've also learned a bunch from the other forum members especially on things like ignition wiring and rigging.

Carl

Right with Wolf and appreciate the closeups of the Yahu panel - really looks good.

Nice to see the Big P&W sitting in her new home - nice progress for sure

Keep 'em comin

Peter

Thanks Peter!

That P&W certainly does look at home doesn't it?