Trumpeter F4U-4, Olathe NAS

D Bellis

Hell, there isnt much difference visible from the firewall aft that I can see between the F4U-1 and the 4, and have thought about waiting till the inevitable Tamiya bubble top comes out, and grafting the Trumpy cowl and prop onto it.  :hmmm:

Thanks, Kev!

Hell, there isnt much difference visible from the firewall aft that I can see between the F4U-1 and the 4, and have thought about waiting till the inevitable Tamiya bubble top comes out, and grafting the Trumpy cowl and prop onto it.  :hmmm:

The forward fuselage is quite different between the -1 and -4, especially underneath between the wing roots. In fact, not much of the fuselage directly interchanges between the two, except aft of the cockpit (as well as the wings & tail). Tamiya has the -4 featured in the literature that came with the -1 kit, so maybe they'll cover that one, too?

Oh, and the Trupeter prop in this kit sucks (as can be seen in the images posted). It wouldn't be a good idea to use it on a kit-bashed -4. The Trumpeter -4 prop comes out of the box with all of the blades tilted forward slightly, and looks like walrus whiskers as-is. Plus, the blades are at zero (flat) pitch. If I hadn't been so flustered with the kit by the time it came to assemble the prop, I would have scavenged a similar prop from one of the Hasegawa P-47 kits in my stash. I still might replace it with Hasegawa parts - maybe once the horror of this build wears off a bit.

D

Edited by D Bellis

• 1 month later...

I need a -4 for my Korean theme but I will wait and hope Tamiya do one as I know this kit is really bad. I'd really like a -5 also. you did a great job just getting it together!