"What a piece of junk!"- Fine Molds 1/144 Millennium Falco

BloorwestSiR

It is but I was looking at the pair of Mosquitoes clogging up my workbench. I'm thinking that once they're both done along with this Falcon,I might switch SF series and drag out a build from my shelf of doom. Something from the 12 colonies...

You're a very brave man to tackle 2 Mozzies at the same time imho!  Off topic on this thread, which do you think is the better of the 2 mozzies from an accuracy point of view and build point of view?  I've read that the HK version is less complex and easier to build than the Tamiya, but that the Tamiya is more accurate on an overall basis.  

oooh!  A BSG kit!  I have the Cylon (new Cylon) from Moebius, keep meaning to buy the old style BSG, and viper.  Amongst many other kits lol...

Dave

You're a very brave man to tackle 2 Mozzies at the same time imho! Off topic on this thread, which do you think is the better of the 2 mozzies from an accuracy point of view and build point of view? I've read that the HK version is less complex and easier to build than the Tamiya, but that the Tamiya is more accurate on an overall basis.

oooh! A BSG kit! I have the Cylon (new Cylon) from Moebius, keep meaning to buy the old style BSG, and viper. Amongst many other kits lol...

Dave

Both kits are nice. The HK is almost finished and the Tamiya is about 75% done. The Tamiya is definitely more detailed but if you building them with the cowls on and hatches closed its not as big a deal. There are a couple accuracy issues on the HK kit but I'm still glad to have built it.

I've got the Moebius MkII kit in the stash and the Monogram MkI too. But it's this one that I've got the most progress on:

872ba489.png

Here it is next to a 1/32 Spitfire:

c23f87a7.png

Both kits are nice. The HK is almost finished and the Tamiya is about 75% done. The Tamiya is definitely more detailed but if you building them with the cowls on and hatches closed its not as big a deal. There are a couple accuracy issues on the HK kit but I'm still glad to have built it.

I've got the Moebius MkII kit in the stash and the Monogram MkI too. But it's this one that I've got the most progress on:

872ba489.png

Here it is next to a 1/32 Spitfire:

c23f87a7.png

That's a Viper Mark II (remake).  Can't say I'm a fan of the remake's ships.  The Cylons are far better looking, but the rest is easily outdone by the original show imho!

nice progress though!

edit: thanks for the comparison between the HK & Tamiya mozzies!  I'm still sitting on the fence about this kit.  Really waiting on the HK models Lancaster!

Dave

Edited by dpastern

I liked the MkII over the original for some reason. The two Mk VIIs didn't really catch my though.

If I ever get the HK Lanc, I'll have to do it as either the CWHM Mynarski memorial version or as R for Ropey with the shark mouths. But the biggest problem will be where to put it when finished?

Carl

A quick update for today.

I masked odd some of the panels that are to be grey. Fine Molds give you decals for these but I find their decals don't conform very well.

IMG_20151112_232636.jpg

IMG_20151112_232643.jpg

A quick coat of Tamiya XF-19:

IMG_20151112_233126.jpg

And here we are.

IMG_20151112_235404.jpg

There are some more in a huill red colour and then I wait for the shapeways parts to arrive.

Carl

Thanks Maru! This is probably going to be the most weathered model I've ever built by the time it's done.

I got a notice that my Shapeways order is on its way to me so I should be able to get back to it soon. In the meantime, I painted the engine vents. I was initially using regular black but it looked too stark on the first pair so I switched to a dark grey.

IMG_20151119_213004.jpg

I'm not sure if the photo shows it but there is a definite difference between the two on the left and the middle two.

Now to try my hand at some paint chipping.

Carl

Brian,

Look into the Hasbro one. It's supposedly very accurate in overall shape and there are a bunch of AM sets to bring up the detail level.

Last I heard they were around $50 for one from Walmart.

The 1/72 one is coming back out in a Revell box and they're around $250.

Revell also has their own version for about $75 I think but it's the version from the new film.

Carl

So last night I decided to give paint chipping a try. I used Mig Absolute Chipping fluid for the first time. There weren't any instructions on the bottle so I checked their website and found a brief video tutorial. I have to say this stuff couldn't be any easier to use.

After brushing on a coat of the chipping fluid and letting it dry, I masked off the panels that were going to be painted hull red.

IMG_20151119_232509.jpg

IMG_20151119_232517.jpg

I then sprayed a thin coat of Tamiya hull red.

IMG_20151119_232953.jpg

IMG_20151119_233000.jpg

Once this has dried for about 20 minutes, and after I removed the masking tape, I asked a second coat of the chipping fluid and then started to scrub and scrape off the paint using an old paint brush and an knife.

IMG_20151119_234934.jpg

IMG_20151119_234950.jpg

IMG_20151119_235011.jpg

IMG_20151119_235003.jpg

Since I was on a roll, I started giving the hull a wash to bring out the details and give it that characteristic grimy look the Falcon has.

IMG_20151120_001327.jpg

IMG_20151120_001334.jpg

This is really making a difference in the way the kit looks. Hopefully this weekend I'll get the rest of the hull fine and then I just need to get the Shapeways parts on. After they arrive.

Carl