Bush Avenger

Dukie99

What a tragic video. It looks as if the cage/ball that the rear gunner sits in was crushed. Any more info on what actually happened on that sortie?

Cheers

Alan

I remember reading that the turret gunner was decapitated by cannon shells that hit the turret.

Hi David,

I'm a big fan of the Avenger, and i think this is a very cool project. Haven't bought the Trumpeter kit yet but seriously considered it.

david

The Avenger is one LSP that is still definitely on my "to get" list. I've heard nothing but good things about the kit.

Thank you Martin for these references. The action reports confirm the loadout which I will use on this build: four 500lb GP bombs. The first video is really sobering. I don't think the turret was crushed, the lower part of the turret sits where it should, while the upper part seem to have suffered some kind of explosion. When building the turret, you realise how cramped that space was, once the gunner is in the turret, he has to stay there for the duration of the flight, there is no access to the radio operator compartment from the gun turret. With the gunner's head almost level with the breach of the gun, the noise must have been unbelievable, it takes a lot of courage to man that position.

David

Small update tonight. Painted and weathered the rear compartment in the fuselage after installing the Eduard photo-etch. Not much will be seen of it once it is closed, but I plan to keep the rear door open so you can get a glimpse of the interior. Getting close to being able to close the fuselage, but I still need to finish the turret and this means a lot of masking. Thankfully I have the montex mask which will help a lot (especially for masking the interior.

Back1_zpsjjndymxt.jpg

Back2_zpsxrsuolhf.jpg

Thanks for watching.

David

Martin, thank you for your kind words.

Brian, this is indeed a kit from Trumpeter's A team. The fit is really great and this is no small feat given the number subassemblies that you need to fit into the fuselage. Here are a few pictures of my latest dry fit to see how the turret would fit with the rest of the cockpit. Everything fit together perfectly and the turret rotate nicely even though the fit is really tight.

Dryfit1_zpsydlddtp7.jpg

Dryfit3_zps5ohq2bau.jpg

Dryfit2_zpsjm80gojh.jpg

Thanks for following this build.

David

Unless you're a masochist, get the eduard canopy masking set...in fact, turns out I bought two of them thinking I'd mask both sides (I was wrong...)  send me a PM with your address and I'll toss it in the mail (no charge).

Nice gesture! 

Unless you're a masochist, get the eduard canopy masking set...in fact, turns out I bought two of them thinking I'd mask both sides (I was wrong...) send me a PM with your address and I'll toss it in the mail (no charge).

Thank you dshaling for the kind offer, but I am already using the canopy masks included in the Montex set and they worand as you said canopy masks for this kit is a must have, especially when masking the interior of the Turret which is a one piece dome. Thanks again. David

Another step towards closing the fuselage: stinger gun, detailed with the Eduard PE. I have also replaced the barrel of the kit gun with an Aber turned metal one, much better definition than the plastic one.

Stinger2_zpswxy6eio5.jpg

Stinger1_zpseh6oiwyt.jpg

and installed in its final home

Stinger3_zpsnusukq3v.jpg

Cheers,

David

Not a lot of benchtime this week-end, but I managed to finish the IP, this is the Avionix IP with Airscale instruments and placards, I hope you like it:

IP_zpsia3et4ld.jpg

Also finished detailing the portside sidewall (Avionix resin with Eduard photoetch and Airscale placards):

sidewall2_zps2vd1rvkp.jpg

and flat coated the cockpit and epoxied it to one side of the fuselage. I dried fitted the other half of the fuselage while the epoxy was curing to ensure that everything remained aligned:

Fuselage_zpstrnlnanb.jpg

Next steps are to glue the IP and finish the turret and I will be ready to close the fuselage.

Thanks for following this build.

David