Rules of the Road

Welcome to the Anything But Injection Moulded! Group Build, otherwise known as ABIM for short. The GB will run from 29 June 2013 until 1 July August 2014.

Here's a guide list about what's allowed:

• pure vacform kits;
  • vacform kits with resin/metal/IM detail sets;
  • IM kits with major vac or resin conversion components;
  • pure resin kits;
  • pure scratch-built models;
  • scratch-built major conversions;
  • paper/card kits;
  • wood kits (eg, Guillow's etc);
  • 'mixed-media' kits (eg, Hasegawa's 1/8 jobbies);
  • master patterns for kit production.

Of course, subjects have to fit our standard definition of an LSP kit (generally, 1/36+ aircraft and helicopters). And just to state the obvious, mainstream injection-moulded kits are not allowed, unless it's the donor kit for a major conversion using resin, vac or scratch-built parts. If you have a project in mind and are not sure it qualifies, either contact a mod or ask the question here. As is usual with our Group Builds, entries must be less than 25% complete to qualify.

The emphasis of this GB is officially on participation and learning rather than finishing. We encourage anyone who's ever wanted to try their hand at a vac or resin kit, or anything else on the list above, to give it a go.

Bombs away!

Kev

Edited by LSP_Kevin
Updated finish date

Great - I'm in.

First group build and first vac - let's see how that works out :-) It will probably be good to do my first vac in a group build - keep me at it.

I've got a Tigger 1/32 Kawasaki Ki-45 Toryu (Nick). John gave me lots of extra vac pulls so I should be set even if I make some mistakes. For the canopy I got a lot of pulls and that's probably a good thing.

I got two vector R1830's that were the ones that were closest to the Ki-45's Ha-102 engines so I'll try to modify those to look the part. Not much will be visible, but anyway...

Looking forward to this.

Great - I'm in.

First group build and first vac - let's see how that works out :-) It will probably be good to do my first vac in a group build - keep me at it.

I've got a Tigger 1/32 Kawasaki Ki-45 Toryu (Nick). John gave me lots of extra vac pulls so I should be set even if I make some mistakes. For the canopy I got a lot of pulls and that's probably a good thing.

I got two vector R1830's that were the ones that were closest to the Ki-45's Ha-102 engines so I'll try to modify those to look the part. Not much will be visible, but anyway...

Looking forward to this.

lol ... I THINK I might be in ... though I'll be a late starter if I am ... with no 1/32 or 1/35 Ju-52's on the market in IM there is really only the vac option and I have a bucket load of other "kits-n-bits" to buy first!!! Kev conned me :P ... If I am in - then I'll be the same as you Thomas - first vac and first group build. I have NO idea how to 'scratch build' or what other considerations are needed!! :shrug:

To boldly go where Rog has never gone before!!

Rog :)

Do long-range missles qualify? I have a 1/35 "Rheinbote" aka V-4 4-stage missle with launcher in the stash. Airmodel of Germany, long oop.

Also a backpack helicopter, 1/35 scale, which should be qualified as a heli in that scale.

Then I would try a Triple. Lets call it:

"The world of weird and wonderful"

Rheinbote (vac) - Baumgärtl Heliofly III (resin) - and a very, very, very special tank (some kind of) (resin)

BTW, these kits are all 1/35.

How about this?

- dutik

The helicopter should be fine mate. The missile is probably marginal, but I'm certainly prepared to let it through out of interest's sake. Not at all sure about the "very, very, very special tank" - can you tell us more about it? At face value I'd have to say no.

Kev

I will join shortly with a scratchbuild project.

Something WW-1. But I need to gather more info first.

If all goes to plan it will be big !

Edited by Erwin

A Zeppelin - I dare ya :-)

Hi,

That's not it.

I will visit the Brussels tankmuseum to measure everything.

I have my mind set on this...

https://www.google.be/search?q=ww1+male+tank&client=firefox-a&hs=nME&rls=org.mozilla:nl:official&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=LrTOUf-YAcjRtQap94HICA&sqi=2&ved=0CCwQsAQ&biw=1920&bih=956

Edited by Erwin

The helicopter should be fine mate. The missile is probably marginal, but I'm certainly prepared to let it through out of interest's sake. Not at all sure about the "very, very, very special tank" - can you tell us more about it? At face value I'd have to say no.

Kev

I'd just throw all 3 kits into one topic, so it would be a "Tripel" build. The heli for qualification, the missle and the tank for value, interest and fun. Just like I am doing at the moment with my Wings of WWI build: its a Twin with an aircraft and a tank that shared the theater of operations. Sme with the Heli, V-4 and secret tank: all German WW2 made, all somewhat weired and all use uf limited operational value. The tank of the "Triple" comes as a surprise, so no names here, but I will drop you a PM.

Regards

- dutik

Hi,

That's not it.

I will visit the Brussels tankmuseum to measure everything.

I have my mind set on this...

https://www.google.be/search?q=ww1+male+tank&client=firefox-a&hs=nME&rls=org.mozilla:nl:official&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=LrTOUf-YAcjRtQap94HICA&sqi=2&ved=0CCwQsAQ&biw=1920&bih=956

Hey hang about! - lol ... thats a TANK!! :rofl: ... unless it was a super secret flying model I'd say you are well wide of the LSP (P for Plane) mark ?? ... handball to Kev - hey ump ... out of bounds??? :shrug:

Hey hang about! - lol ... thats a TANK!! :rofl: ... unless it was a super secret flying model I'd say you are well wide of the LSP (P for Plane) mark ?? ... handball to Kev - hey ump ... out of bounds??? :shrug:

Indeed. It really must be more closely related to the LSP subjects than that to qualify. Dutik's proposal is about as far as I'm prepared to let things drift. As it says above:

... subjects have to fit our standard definition of an LSP kit (generally, 1/36+ aircraft and helicopters)

Of course Erwin might be leading us up the garden path here...

Kev

Hi,

I just realized that I was completely wrong about this entry into the GB too.

But the project will go ahead .

Nice to see this show on the road - A big thank you to Kev and the mods for making it happen (We'll see how many are actually completed by the beginning of July 2014 though!).

As always, time is very tight for me, and as I am most likely guilty of instigating this whole thing, I guess that I should contribute to it in some fashion. As you are aware, I only have one 1/32 vacform kit, and that is the old ID Models/Tigger models P-61 Black Widow, but it is lacking transparencies (I have PM'd John about this, but am still awaiting a response from him).

So, what to do? This GB has caused me to make a concious (and irreversible) decision about product development for my Eclipse Model Design range, so within the GB guidelines, I shall be producing some master patterns for a full vacform/resin kit. This way, you can all see how a high quality vacform multi-media kit is developed and produced. It will also (hopefully) provide you all with a few useful methods to tackle scratch built items that you may find of use in your own builds. I may not finish my task within the life of this GB, but I shall continue it as a WIP afterwards if needs be.

I shall detail exactly what I intend to make later.

Finally, I hope that Larry and Russ are tuning in from up there, as the inspiration for me to suggest this GB is as much for them as it is for you guys - Enjoy :)

Derek

Edited by Derek B