Mother Needs A Spitfire

Okay now to try and give it an occupant. Need to make a Russian pilot. :unsure:

Looked around the web and couldn’t find any at this scale. In fact not many figures or anything at this scale! Tamiya do a Rally pit crew so bought that and I will try and make him.

He will be called Boris but at the moment will be known as Oddbod Junior

My bits and a quick sketch of Oddbod

073-SpitPilot.jpg

Quick look at the RAF Airfix pilot and I think he has been assimilated by the Borg with half an eye missing.

074-SpitPilot.jpg

So I decided to cut his head off and then his legs.

Then instead of just filling and trying to reshape the eye from filler, I cut his face out and used the drivers head.

:BANGHEAD2: Why oh why - when the easy route is right infront of your nose.

Uhm! should have gone with the filler but hay tiss done and no going back. :shrug:

Next another first for me using Milliput. Worked on the gloves first and whilst this was setting. Cut to size then drilled and pinned the torso and legs together. This was stuck with supper glue. Then out with more Milliput and first knocking in of the shapes of the jumpsuit and the fur covering on the boots.

075-SpitPilot.jpg

That’s it for now I am trying to get Oddbod finished for the weekend so I can move this on towards the closing up stage.

Thanks for looking in and any comments or advise always welcome

All the best - Taff :D

Very nice work Taff, this Spitfire model will turn out to be a real beauty :goodjob:

Just one very minor observation from me, if I may?...I am wondering if you have the rudder pedals mounted in the reverse direction? (see attached drawing).

Spitfire%20De%20icing%20pump%20picture%20large.jpg

Looking at various Spitfire cockpit phtographs, due to lens distortion and viewing angle, it can be very difficult at the best of times to work out exactly which way they are supposed to face!

HTH

Derek

Edited by Derek B

Maybe you should have given him an eyepatch!!!!

Scary watching the "surgery"!

Your cockpit is really terrific too. :speak_cool:

Funny about your ancestry, mine's a Welsh mother(Llanelli)Plymouth born father and I was born in Bath

and brought up in Cornwall. Bit of a weird Celtic mix there!

Glad you got the Millput out mate! :evil_laugh:

Phil :thumbsup:

Hi Guys - Thanks for looking in.

Derek

That’s a great picture could have done with that when I was working the sides out – real nice and clear unlike some of the internet pics I was looking at. Derek for my future ref. what book is it from.

Looking at this pic and some of the others yep you right they look back to front. :huh:

But the instructions sheet has the loop bit towards the pilot. I did cut mine off to put tape straps on but you can make out the stub – and it is towards the pilot? Anyway they stuck on and I don’t want to disturb them.

Looks like Oddbods furry clod-hoppers should cover this so I will live with them. :speak_cool:

Phil

Yep just proves what a bunch of mongrel’s we are on these islands – Mine is Welsh, Irish, Danish/Iceland, Devon, Wiltshire - and that’s just back to my Grand Parents! :D

Genius if only I had done that – The Russian Red Flying Pirate.

Could have put a bright red star on the patch and given him a giant red beard too. That would have been something and made him stand out in the crowd.

Tomek

Yep surgery is going fine (some picture to follow) not sure I’m up to the move to Hollywood yet. And I think rubbing Millput on their faces and my sculpting tools might not go down to well with all those starlets!!!!! :rolleyes:

So here is some pictures of Oddbods coming together surgery

076-SpitPilot.jpg

Got his head on.

I took my trusty Dremil and bored out the neck hole out a bit to get his head to sit down a bit lower and fit better. Next worked on the straps. I had some MDC bits left over from Tom and Harry in their Mosquito. So used them here, made some bits as well then held it all together with bits of tape. Then drilled through the torso for the bar to hold his arms in place.

Think Oddbod was looking forward to finally getting arms because now he has a head he need to scratch his nose!

A question to all you Spitfire experts.

The Sutton Harness connection, how fare does this go back in to the fuselage? Any help / knowledge would be much appreciated.

Nearly their need to do some cleaning up and then some work around his helmet – que for all those obvious Comments and joke. :evil_laugh:

Then I will give him a shot over with white enamel ready to take his world from monochrome to full colour.

077-SpitPilot.jpg

I have noticed around here how once you have made them how uppity and full of unhelpful comment these characters are. Don’t think he is to impressed with the new directive for green environmentally friendly engines! He’s asking where his magic Merlin’s gone?

078-SpitEnginePilot.jpg

Till the next time enjoy and thanks for looking any comments welcome.

Taff

Yep surgery is going fine (some picture to follow) not sure I’m up to the move to Hollywood yet. And I think rubbing Millput on their faces and my sculpting tools might not go down to well with all those starlets!!!!! :rolleyes:

To the contrary, Taffy. I think you made the pilot at least 10 years younger. You may have a shot with some older clientele :lol:

Looking very good. Now I'll wait for the paint...

Hi Guys - Thanks for looking in.

Derek

That's a great picture could have done with that when I was working the sides out – real nice and clear unlike some of the internet pics I was looking at. Derek for my future ref. what book is it from.

Looking at this pic and some of the others yep you right they look back to front. :huh:

But the instructions sheet has the loop bit towards the pilot. I did cut mine off to put tape straps on but you can make out the stub – and it is towards the pilot? Anyway they stuck on and I don't want to disturb them.

Looks like Oddbods furry clod-hoppers should cover this so I will live with them. :speak_cool:

Taff

Hi Taff,

I 'borrowed' that one from the internet somewhere (fair usage policy yadda, yadda, etc). As I said, it is difficult to be certain exactly which way around they are supposed to be on some photo's, so I don't think that anyone will really notice. I believe that the picture probably originated from the RAF air publication volumes (Edgar would undoubtably be able to quote you chapter and verse - he will most likely have some useful diagrams showing the routong of the sutton harness mechanism as well!).

Oddbod is looking good - you may have inadvertantly hit upon an instant regeneration system for our female brethren there Taff! :D (I also have to carry out similar surgery on a couple of 21 Century 1/32 Luftwaffe Stuka figures - can anyone tell me what material they are made from and what glue sticks them please?).

Cheers

Derek

I just want to know why he's wearing leg warmers?

Has he been transported forward in time from some dance class in the eighties???? :evil_laugh:

Obviously, you know nothing about the fashion, Phil :rolleyes: :lol:

Obviously, you know nothing about the fashion, Phil :rolleyes: :lol:

Oh my gosh...

...I think I'll wake up screaming in the middle of the night, because I dreamt of a soviet pilot in a shiny Spandex leotard :blink:

Hi Folks or should I be calling you fashionistas. :rolleyes:

Didn’t realize fashion was so important to you lot.

Kotr It’s not the spandex that should course you nightmares it’s the fur lined G-string that’s underneath it.

Phill being a child of the 80s it goes with out saying that the fashion scares would still break through.

Derek I look forward to seeing these figures at 1/32 that qualifies for this sit!! I will keep an eye out for it.

Work and life pushing in on my model time so haven’t pushed this along as much as I wanted. But did get time to finish Oddbod

So here he is in full Technicolor

079-SpitPilot.jpg

And a close up of his boat. (Sorry a bit blured - more beer needed I think)

080-SpitPilot.jpg

Enjoy - Taff

Hi guys

Yep you cut his legs off, his head, then his face. But insult to injury you stuff a thick bit of sprue up his jacksy!!

But could be worse – could have been someone’s hand!!!!! :o

Thanks for looking in

Taff

• 1 month later...

Hi Folks

Been awhile since I updated. Between loads of work hassles and my wife kindly finding DIY projects for me to do. So not managed much on this. But now done!!! So will try a to do a final push to get her done before the deadline.

First a faux pas on the wings. :BANGHEAD2: Doh And Double Doh. :blowup:

There are four variants available in the kit. The instructions say to cut out the canon covers on A–D.

I now realise the – means all versions not just A & D. :huh:

Bloody obvious when you think of the type I am making, but I put it down to age and lack of alcohol! Or just being stupid?

As the wings are all sealed up there was no going back to separate them. And you can’t see the cut marks from the top. The only thing I could think to do was use the part as a template and cut the shape out of thin sheet plastic. Then cut the blister out rub the bottom flat, stick on to the cut out plastic and try to work out where it sits on the wing. So here is my effort to make good. I will try to put some panel lines around it to help it sit in to the wings. Fingers crossed once painted it wont look to bad.

081-SpitWing.jpg

So moving on I managed to get to the point of sealing up the fuselage. Here is Odd Bod in his office. :D

Had a real battle to get the two half’s to line up. You line up the front and the tail would be out. The same happened if you lined the tail up – the front was out of line!!!! So a bit of brut force and bad language and I have compromised with most bits not to badly lined up.

082-SpitFuselage.jpg

083-SpitFuselage.jpg

084-SpitFuselage.jpg

Tried to squeeze this together as the glue set, but just put something out of shape somewhere else. So got as close as I could, then will fill and rub flat.

As you can see, this line will never line up. So gulp! :o I will try and do my first ever fill and re-scribe!!!!

085-SpitFuselage.jpg

086-SpitFuselage.jpg

Just about make it out. Didn’t want to go to deep. I left the bottom corner and then lined it up using a bit of masking tape. Not the best but spose the more practice the better!

Also need to run a bit of liquid glue as per Kevin’s rescribing tip techniques. That should be interesting!

087-SpitFuselage.jpg

Cockpit filled and rubbed back ready to paint.

088-SpitFuselage.jpg

With the taillight I fist rubbed this back flat to the molded line. Then put a bit of clear sprue into my Dremel and using it as a lathe, I very gently, so as not to melt it, rubbed it back to the right circumference. Then shaped the end and polished it up.

Finally cut it to the right length. Then drilled a small fine hole in the back for the bulb and painted the back with enamel silver. Little bit of Gloss to finish it.

089-SpitTail.jpg

Okay Folks that's it for know and thanks for looking in.

Taff :)