Tamiya F4U-1 Corsair finished 5/14/15

Daywalker

I have been waiting patiently since Tamiya released their sublime A6M5 Zero for them to do the Corsair, and after years of hope it has finally landed!  I said I would push all other builds aside the day it landed here to start on it, and today is the day!  I ordered two kits from Wheels & Wings in Toronto, and was pleasantly surprised at their reasonable shipping charges and quick delivery.  So far, I have opened the box on one of them to have a quick look inside.  This is the export version, which comes with the clear cowling parts.  I do not plan to use these, but it is always good to receive extra parts.  I am VERY happy to see that Tamiya has done away with those cheesy PE hinges/steel rods for movable control surfaces- GOOD ON YOU TAMIYA!  On the Zero, Spitfire, and Mustang I used thick CA glue to glue the surfaces in place.  Glad I will not have to do that here!  I also looked first at the gear bay parts, worried that they would need to have dozens of ejector pin marks filled and sanded like the Mustang kit.  This time, they did it right!  The marks are mostly on the parts which face inside the model and will not be visible.  There are a couple of small ones, but they look to be easily dealt with.  So far, the ONLY thing I would do differently would be to provide plastic tires inside of the rubber ones in the kit.  Hopefully, Roy over at Barracuda is already working on a solution for these.  I used his resin tires on the Mustang and Spitfire and they worked flawlessly.  Are you listening Roy?

I'll be back soon with updates, stay tuned!

Edited by Daywalker

Very nice start, Frank. I am glad to see someone start building this kit. I am thinking to wait for a -1A version but i will follow your build closely. What profile/s have you choose?

I wish you many many happy hours of modelling with it!!

John

P.S. I wish some day my dream also come true, to see a Tamiya like, 1/32 P-40B/C

Edited by zaxos345

Good on you, Frank ! I'm very jealous..........Harv

Thanks Harv! I cannot wait to get started on this bad boy.

Very nice start, Frank. I am glad to see someone start building this kit. I am thinking to wait for a -1A version but i will follow your build closely. What profile/s have you choose?

I wish you many many happy hours of modelling with it!!

John

P.S. I wish some day my dream also come true, to see a Tamiya like, 1/32 P-40B/C

Cheers John! I am certain that Tamiya will do at least the -1a and -1d, or at least I HOPE so! I have lots of Corsairs I have wanted to build. If Tamiya would release a 1/32 P-40B/C, I would by three of them right out of the gates. Why Hasegawa never did a long nose P-40 is beyond my. They would have sold like hot cakes!

Good for you! I didnt know that they were available, off to place an order.

Yes, but they seem a bit hard to find here in the US. As soon as I heard that a few were available in Canada, I ordered them up! Have waited for this day for a VERY long time.

Way to go Frank! I'm eagerly anticipating the arrival of my kit so I too can "get with the program"! :)

Right on John! I know you are waiting for yours to arrive from Japan, hope it gets here soon so you can see how good this kit looks.

I bet it was very exciting to get those kits - I will be watching the build!

Curious - do they come with the extra set of clear cowl parts? If so, and you would want to sell one set of those extra parts please let me know.

Greetings! I don't to use the clear cowls, but for now will hang onto them in case I wreck the other ones and need a replacement. If I don't end up using them, they're yours.

What took you so long??!! :yahoo:

Hahaha... funny! First day they are here and I am already behind!

Tagging this one, for sure.

Go get 'em! :punk:

Thanks mate, hope you enjoy!

First cab off the rank, Frank! Looking forward to following this one.

Kev

Thanks Kev, I'll get some progress shots soon. As soon as I posted this earlier today, I received a call that my other new toy was ready for delivery. So, I spent the day taking care of that:

2013-07-08144222.jpg

2013-07-08150317.jpg

I love this truck! Brand new, only 2 miles on it when I test drove it Saturday. Sure feels good to have a dependable vehicle again- my old truck was about ready for the grave.

So far, I have only had a chance to peruse the destructions on the Corsair. I like how they have broken down the assemblies, and also the control surfaces. Lots of options too, including the open cowl flaps all the way around vs. the top two (I think it was two) permanently closed. Thanks everyone for looking in so far, hope you enjoy the ride as much as I know I will.

Damn!!!! I've been telling myself I won't buy the Corsair, but seeing how good the rest of your builds have been, you'll probably end up convincing me to buy one. Good luck with it, I'm sure it will be great.

Good choice on the truck. My girlfriend's sister drives one as well, works well for towing a horse trailer around.

Matt :party0023:

My vote is build both Corsairs at the same time in the bed of your new pickup :P

That way, you get to maximize time with all three.

For some reason, my wife has a couple cars on her wish list that couldn't be more opposite: a first gen Smart cdi (diesel) and a full size crew cab (either step side or dually!)

As for Wheels and Wings, the owner gave me a tour of their storeroom in the basement. I now know what 9,000 kits looks like.

Carl

Nice truck!

Cheers John, thanks!

This is gonna be fun! :popcorn:

Thanks for looking in Bryce, hope to get a real update here soon.

Damn!!!! I've been telling myself I won't buy the Corsair, but seeing how good the rest of your builds have been, you'll probably end up convincing me to buy one. Good luck with it, I'm sure it will be great.

Good choice on the truck. My girlfriend's sister drives one as well, works well for towing a horse trailer around.

Matt :party0023:

Thanks Matt, you made my day! I appreciate the feedback on my previous builds, glad you enjoyed them. These Tamiya kits are so much fun to work on, they let the builder focus on painting and adding small details here and there. The fit is unbelievably good.

My vote is build both Corsairs at the same time in the bed of your new pickup :P

That way, you get to maximize time with all three.

For some reason, my wife has a couple cars on her wish list that couldn't be more opposite: a first gen Smart cdi (diesel) and a full size crew cab (either step side or dually!)

As for Wheels and Wings, the owner gave me a tour of their storeroom in the basement. I now know what 9,000 kits looks like.

Carl

Haha... hadn't thought of that! Too damned hot outside to do that right now, those poor Corsairs would probably melt out there. 9000 kits, that sounds impressive! Didn't get to take any photos did you?

Thanks Harv! I cannot wait to get started on this bad boy.

Cheers John! I am certain that Tamiya will do at least the -1a and -1d, or at least I HOPE so! I have lots of Corsairs I have wanted to build. If Tamiya would release a 1/32 P-40B/C, I would by three of them right out of the gates. Why Hasegawa never did a long nose P-40 is beyond my. They would have sold like hot cakes!

Yes, but they seem a bit hard to find here in the US. As soon as I heard that a few were available in Canada, I ordered them up! Have waited for this day for a VERY long time.

Right on John! I know you are waiting for yours to arrive from Japan, hope it gets here soon so you can see how good this kit looks.

Greetings! I don't to use the clear cowls, but for now will hang onto them in case I wreck the other ones and need a replacement. If I don't end up using them, they're yours.

Hahaha... funny! First day they are here and I am already behind!

Thanks mate, hope you enjoy!

Thanks Kev, I'll get some progress shots soon. As soon as I posted this earlier today, I received a call that my other new toy was ready for delivery. So, I spent the day taking care of that:

2013-07-08144222.jpg

2013-07-08150317.jpg

I love this truck! Brand new, only 2 miles on it when I test drove it Saturday. Sure feels good to have a dependable vehicle again- my old truck was about ready for the grave.

So far, I have only had a chance to peruse the destructions on the Corsair. I like how they have broken down the assemblies, and also the control surfaces. Lots of options too, including the open cowl flaps all the way around vs. the top two (I think it was two) permanently closed. Thanks everyone for looking in so far, hope you enjoy the ride as much as I know I will.

Nice ride Frank, I am the little evil voice in the back of your head, that is saying "Lift it!,Lift it!,Lift it!" :)

Cheers

M.

Guest Nigelr32

That is one beautiful Truck Frank!! I would love to own something like that here in the UK, but with gas costing the equivalent of $10 a gallon, it would be a little silly!! I recently sold my 2008 Mustang GT, and miss it... I love American cars!!

Now, onto those Corsairs, start a build thread please...right away!!