House broken into today!

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#31 Kagemusha

Kagemusha

• LSP Moderator
  • 9,454 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 09:06 PM

Sorry to hear of your problem Ron, but better that it's a property issue, and not a serious physical/mental one.

#32 LSP_Typhoonattack

LSP_Typhoonattack

• LSP Moderator
  • 24,854 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 09:16 PM

A .357?  LOLOL  Just the tool for shooting the terrorist through the refrigerator, through your wall, his wall, and through his refrigerator as well.

Smith & Wesson Model 686, and I loved it to death, Ernst, it was quite the cannon, and I really wish I still had it.

• BiggTim likes this

Kevin

I was going to procrastinate tonight, but decided to wait.

In Progress:

#33 LSP_Ron

LSP_Ron

• LSP Moderator
  • 16,218 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 11:44 PM

Thanks all

Well this has been a very very long day. Less than 4 hours sleep and then all day dealing with insurance, police reports, contractors getting quotes, key fobs started for cars.  My entire back door frame, door and side window needs replacing to the tune of $6000 dollars.  There is $13,000 dollars worth of stolen goods we know are gone and I am sure more we just haven't noticed yet. Key fobs are over $1000 on top of that.  Thank god for insurance.

I wouldn't wish this on anyone.

• LSP_Matt, LSP_Typhoonattack and BiggTim like this

Ron

I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.

Douglas Adams

When I die, I'll be on time

#34 TonyT

TonyT

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,780 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 11:53 PM

Stay strong Ron, I don't know how it is in the US but you need to be extra vigilant for a while, I don't want to worry you, but in the UK it's not unusual to get a second visit apparently as the swine realise the insurance will replace items with new, so the property will be full of new replacements in a few weeks.

Keep an eye on the likes of eBay etc for a while, some criminals are not the smartest cookies in the box. If you do not have CCTV do any neighbours who may have recorded them?

Edited by TonyT, 21 September 2017 - 11:55 PM.

#35 ringleheim

ringleheim

Hooked For Life

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 11:59 PM

I'm sorry to hear of this Ron!

I'm a watch enthusiast too and when you mentioned your watches being stolen it felt like someone punched me in the gut.

• LSP_Typhoonattack likes this

#36 LSP_Ron

LSP_Ron

• LSP Moderator
  • 16,218 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 12:03 AM

Thanks Tony,  yest that is common here also but more so with things like TV's and furniture.  We lost things like camera's, laptops, watches, jewelry.

I am going to upgrade my alarm to include five CCV camera's and remote monitoring via iPhone as well as door position and lock sensors.   

• LSP_Typhoonattack and The Southern Bandit like this

Ron

Douglas Adams

#37 Juggernut

Juggernut

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 12:18 AM

Um, I think Ron lives in Canada... at least his avatar says Canada.  Jeez Ron, there are some brazen criminals up there in the Great White North aren't there?  Sorry to hear you were violated....  I used that word because in reality, that's what happened to you both; your state of well being has been violated.  My car has been broken into before but I've been fortunate not to have had my home invaded (yet).

I've only lived in PA for about two years but the gun laws in this state are MUCH more relaxed than they were in NY.  I had a concealed carry permit in NY and what I had to go through to just a regular permit (handgun) bordered on the Spanish Inquisition.  To be honest, it wasn't that bad back when I got my permit but nowadays, NewYorkistan is sooooo restrictive  that it's a small wonder anyone can carry handguns but the police.  Anyway...  I'm thinking of purchasing an M1911 (Remington brand because it's relatively inexpensive).  I had a .357 years ago (Ruger GP100 stainless) but carrying it was uncomfortable as it had a 6" barrel and it was wide.  I don't like 9mm, why I don't know.  I guess I saw R. Lee Ermy shoot a watermelon with a 9mm and then with a .45 ACP and the difference in damage was substantial.  Add a hollow point round to the .45 and it makes it that much more dangerous.  I know the .45 isn't accurate past the length of your arm but in a CQB (aka home invasion) it'll be more than adequate.  PA also has a stand your ground law as well as the castle doctrine.  I haven't really researched just exactly what my rights are under these laws but they do favor the justifiable use of lethal force.

To get a handgun in PA, all you have to do is present a valid PA drivers license and pass the Federal background check...easy peezey.  To get a concealed carry, I just need to go to the County Sheriff's Office and request one.  I even toyed with the idea of buying an HK Mk. 17 (I think it's a .308 round) and decking it out with a flip up thermal sight and a laser pointer/range finder. The laser pointer/range finder is probably not going to work with the iron sights that are in place of the thermal sight so that much might go away....  I also tried six ways from Sunday to legally put an M203 grenade launcher on it to no avail.  They said I couldn't have one. :(  One saving grace here in PA is that silencers are totally legal.... Oh man, I may just have to spend a chunk of change in the not-too-distant-future. 

I'm really surprised there is as much crime in TX as there is....  I was under impression (most likely quite wrongly) that a lot of the population carry sidearms.  I do know that TX has an express lane to the electric chair for the most violent offenders ( an old line from a stand up comic whom I do not remember).  Really begs the question of "Is committing this crime REALLY worth your life?".... What kind of desperation would answer that question "yes"?  

Sorry, I'm WAY off topic...  I'll shut my fingers up now :mental:

Edited by Juggernut, 22 September 2017 - 12:28 AM.

#38 Jennings Heilig

Jennings Heilig

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,763 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 12:26 AM

Really sorry to hear that news Ron.  Sadly, if someone really wants into your house, no lock, no alarm, no nothing is going to stop them.  I sure hope the cops can get to the bottom of it for you.

Makes me glad I don't wear a watch anymore :)

Insurance??

J

"It's all part of the show..."

#39 Clunkmeister

Clunkmeister

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,028 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 12:45 AM

I just put a new system in last month. Multiple motion activated floodlights, live IR video feed through cell with landline and satellite backup, motion sensors, everything.

I'm paranoid about security. I've found out the weak spots are always the doors. They are easily knocked in. Invested in the best doors and frames, I hope it's enough.

I'd love to use Claymores, tripwires, and paraflares, but I think they're still frowned upon.

Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker

#40 CANicoll

CANicoll

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,110 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 12:58 AM

Oh Ron that sucks!  I feel for you.  Best of luck.  Chris

#41 Clunkmeister

Clunkmeister

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,028 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 01:13 AM

On a serious note, Ron, I hope hey catch the SOBs who did this. Of course up there, for punishment they'll just get stern looks and a dressing down.

Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker

#42 LSP_Ron

LSP_Ron

• LSP Moderator
  • 16,218 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 01:19 AM

Thanks guys,

They won't even bother looking. The cops didn't dust for prints or anything like that so unless there is a rash of break ins in the area and they are caught in the act with our stuff.... not likely.

I might hit the pawn shops around here this weekend to try and find my watches.

• LSP_Typhoonattack and The Southern Bandit like this

Ron

Douglas Adams

#43 BloorwestSiR

BloorwestSiR

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,491 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 02:50 AM

Sorry to hear about the break in Ron. Wet had at my parents house a few years ago. My sister was the one who found it as she got home first and was really upset. Our neighbors saw a van in our driveway for a couple hours and thought we were moving stuff. The entire house had been ransacked. The cops figured it was kids as my dad's liquor cabinet was emptied. He had a bunch of cognac and scotch. A bunch of my mom's jewellery, my CD collection, stereo, cameras, RC cars and heli were taken too. The insurance claim ended up over $100k. Never found any of it.

My parents ended up getting a Rotti/Shepard mix shortly after and have had a dog in the house every since.

Carl

Edited by BloorwestSiR, 22 September 2017 - 02:50 AM.

#44 LSP_Ray

LSP_Ray

• LSP Moderator
  • 9,043 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 04:05 AM

Man, Ron, that sucks! My grandfather was robbed several years back, within a week after having cable installed in his house. He never had a problem before or after. Hmmm...

Over the weekend, someone went through the parking under my daughter's condo building and siphoned gas from several cars. On cars that had locking gas caps they used a crowbar on them. Her car was hit, too, but since she was nearly out of gas anyway wasn't too worried about it. Pretty brazen.

I hope they catch the bastards, Ron, and hang them by their thumbs!

Posted Image
Ray "Bad Omen" Peterson

#45 TonyT

TonyT

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,780 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 11:14 AM

They had a spate of buildings in the UK targetted for the lead or copper roofing... Churches etc, it turned out they now use Google Earth and tour the UK via sattelite images looking for suitable buildings.

I bet you don't know where the slang term "half inch" aka "Pinch"  (to steal)  comes from.

Edited by TonyT, 22 September 2017 - 11:15 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users