Photo

Would you purchase a resin conversion for the Dragon Bf 110?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
419 replies to this topic

Poll: Bf 110-G Nightfighter Conversion (89 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you purchase a resin conversion for the Dragon Bf 110?

1. Yes even if I had to place a deposit of half the amount ($75 of $150) that would be refundable if the project didn't go forward (27 votes [30.34%])

Percentage of vote: 30.34%

2. Yes, if the deposit was no more than $50 (7 votes [7.87%])

Percentage of vote: 7.87%

3. Yes, if the deposit was only $25 (5 votes [5.62%])

Percentage of vote: 5.62%

4. Not if any up-front cash was required (12 votes [13.48%])

Percentage of vote: 13.48%

5. Not interested in the airplane (38 votes [42.70%])

Percentage of vote: 42.70%

Vote

#31 Out2gtcha

Out2gtcha

• LSP Moderator
  • 20,731 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 07:39 PM

Does anyone have the C and E kits to compare them?

Here is a very good photo of Schnaufer's last ride in the RAF Museum in North London:

ME-110G-2_at_RAF_Hendon.jpg

Now that is what I want! I lo e the look of the hog nose and the radar diapoles
  • harvey, Bill Cross and catbloke like this

#32 Dennis7423

Dennis7423

Hooked For Life

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 08:28 PM

I had the Superbug conversion some time ago, and it helped me realize the conversions necessary to the C kit...

Rudders, upper nose, cowlings, props and spinners, canopy, and interior. The G variant had box and chute fed cannons in the belly, not the drum fed style as featured in the kit. The Schrage Musik cannons were drum fed. The rollover bar was different, as was the seat for the gunner/radar operator. Radar equipment would be helpful too, if we'really talking a nightfighter.

HTH

- Dennis S.
Thornton, CO USA
  • harvey, LSP_Typhoonattack and Bill Cross like this

#33 mhorina

mhorina

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 08:30 PM

Having both the 'C' and 'D/E' kits there are only 2 differences in the sprues. The 2 G sprues on the D/E kit are missing the drop tank halves that are on the 2 G sprues in the C kit. In the C kit there are 2 'K' sprues with the bomb racks whereas in the D/Ekit there is only 1 K sprue in two parts with a tail wheel In 1 frame and 4 rudder halves in the other frame.In the D/E kit the sprues for the radar antennas are attached to the N sprue. I took this information by looking at the srue layout in the 2 kits. There is a small sheet for steps 10 and 12 in the D/E kit.  Did not look at the sprues just off the instruction sheet sprue layout,these are the differences I saw ,otherwise the kit sprues have the same pieces.  HTH

Mike Horina

Edited by mhorina, 17 August 2017 - 08:47 PM.

• harvey and Shawn M like this

#34 Smitty44

Smitty44

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,101 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 08:33 PM

Only if it will convert it into a P-51B

• paul fisher, Alburymodeler, harvey and 2 others like this

Charlie Company, 7th Engineers Suppt Bttn, 1st FSSG, !st Mar Div

#35 Shawn M

Shawn M

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,432 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 08:55 PM

After reviewing my D/E kit:

It has the windscreen armor, smooth tread main wheels, torque link and larger tail wheel/gear, ETC belly rack

It does NOT have a separate upper nose piece (I was wrong) but there is a nice scribe line to cut with.

It does have 2 sets of rudders, one larger with the larger trim tab but not 'G larger

• harvey and LSP_Typhoonattack like this

I dont suffer from AMS, I revell in it..get it...Revell

#36 harvey

harvey

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,320 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 08:56 PM

Oh it will ! But will take a lot of cutting and sanding my friend !!.........Harv :rofl:  :rofl:  :punk:

• Bill Cross and JT68 like this

There's a fine line between cuddling and holding someone down so they can't get away
working on:  Tamiya F4U-2 Night Fighter
Trump P-38M BACK ON BENCH FINISHED!!!

#37 Alburymodeler

Alburymodeler

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 09:09 PM

I would be very interested in one or two G night fighters, but the cost quoted would be an issue. That works out to be $200 plus down here, and my job is close to finished. A cheaper price should see a far greater number sold, I reckon 30 at least in Australia... etc etc,

Greg

• harvey likes this

#38 harvey

harvey

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,320 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 09:22 PM

After reviewing my D/E kit:

It has the windscreen armor, smooth tread main wheels, torque link and larger tail wheel/gear, ETC belly rack

It does NOT have a separate upper nose piece (I was wrong) but there is a nice scribe line to cut with.

It does have 2 sets of rudders, one larger with the larger trim tab but not 'G larger

My C-7 has no armor glass, double bomb rack on the belly. I believe the tail wheel is the larger one but not sure. Same nose as yours Shawn. Only 1 set of rudders, cross  tread on tires....Harv

• Shawn M likes this

There's a fine line between cuddling and holding someone down so they can't get away

#39 Shawn M

Shawn M

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,432 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 09:25 PM

dug through all my '110 stuff

plenty of details and close up but no blueprint/plans of real use

Squadron BF110 in action No. 30, squadron plans....nuff said

FAOTW No. 41 BF110 has 1/72 plans of the main variants

The Messerschmitt BF-110 In Color Profile 1939 to 1945 has some great useful profiles of ALL variants

Messerschmitt BF110- Monograph Special Edition #6, has excellent top, bottom and side profiles but no scale plans

• harvey and Bill Cross like this

I dont suffer from AMS, I revell in it..get it...Revell

#40 Bill Cross

Bill Cross

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,374 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 09:28 PM

I would be very interested in one or two G night fighters, but the cost quoted would be an issue. That works out to be $200 plus down here, and my job is close to finished. A cheaper price should see a far greater number sold, I reckon 30 at least in Australia... etc etc,

Greg

Greg, the price is just guesswork right now. Gary can't know the cost until he finds out if this wild bunch of crazy modelers is serious enough to put down a deposit. It also will help lower the cost if someone can do CAD work here and get the plans to Gary so all he has to do is cast the parts.

Edited by Bill Cross, 17 August 2017 - 09:44 PM.

• Alburymodeler and harvey like this

Contributing Writer at Kitmaker Network (http://www.armorama.com) & Campaigns Administrator at Model Shipwrights

Getting ready for ArmorCon: Meng M1A2 SEP TUSK; "Band of Brothers Meets Dead Man's Corner"

Recently completed: Meng FT-17

Future projects: Tamiya F-4E Phantom II "Kurnass" in IDFAF Service ("Shelf of Doom"?)

#41 LSP_Typhoonattack

LSP_Typhoonattack

• LSP Moderator
  • 25,314 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 10:27 PM

My C-7 has no armor glass, double bomb rack on the belly. I believe the tail wheel is the larger one but not sure. Same nose as yours Shawn. Only 1 set of rudders, cross  tread on tires....Harv

I thought my own kit did have the armored glass, Harv, but can't be sure at the moment. Naturally, my own WIP thread is now completely without photos, so I cannot verify, though I'll need the armored glass for the particular scheme I'd chosen.

• harvey likes this

Kevin

I was going to procrastinate tonight, but decided to wait.

In Progress:

#42 Artful69

Artful69

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,349 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 10:33 PM

Bill ...

As you will remember ... I have invested time and money into 3 ventures that have gone nowhere. One of them was for this very idea!

While I would be prepared to invest a small amount of 'start up capital' ... I'm a little sadder and wiser for the previous misadventures.

It probably sounds harsh ... but you can point the blame for the present attitude toward individuals that make promises - and then don't deliver.

In order to make ANY monetary investment - at all - I would like to see some sort of progress (i.e. a show of REAL interest and intent from the person undertaking the venture).

This doesn't necessarily amount to photographs of prepared masters ... but regular (weekly updates) with the odd photo to show progress - and perhaps interaction with either investors or the community at large to throw around ideas?

So ... respectfully ... On to a few ideas gleaned from posts here and random experiences ...

* For a base kit ... your conversion WILL be expensive, no matter which way you cut itI So it might be an idea to use the cheapest (and probably the most readily) available kit out there.

I have the C7 kit (The rarest one out there), The D-1/R-1 Dackelbauch (probably your best bet) and the D/E Nachtjäeger ... For whatever reason, it seems demand for the Dackelbauch was low.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the box art puts them off - and they are thinking that the big fuel tank is moulded into the fuse' halves (it's not and can be left off!)

* There is no difference in the wing shape or dimensions from the C-thru-G ... only the nacelles, props and spinners.

* Resin ... I love the HpH philosophy with their kits and corrections ... EVERYTHING you need to construct the subject is in the box. You may CHOOSE to swap some out for other AM items, but everything is there to start with - and SOLID instructions to go with it!

As much as I admire the AIMS Ju-88 (Revell) conversions ... I'm a little put off investing into any - and its not the expense!!

I have a G-6 conversion at home which has some lovely detail cast, some nice photo etch bits and a bucketload of decals ... BUT!

- Theres no Schräge musik arrays for aircraft options that were so equiped OR instructions on where or how it should be installed.

- There's no radar antennae included either

- The nacelles are about 1cm thick with (putty???) ... do I have to clean it out to fit them to the A/C?? ... These MIGHT seem like 'little' things, believe me they are not!

They are annoying ... and put people off.

- Conclusion?!? - Your conversion MUST be complete ... and the instructions for it's application, idiot proof ... it should not be assumed that that the purchaser will have an advanced modelling skill set or instinctively 'know' what to do.

- The canopy should be clear resin ... not vac formed ... and it might be an idea to make provision for either the G-4 or the G-2 heavy fighter/daytime bomber interceptor.

I have a whole bunch of of other bits and pieces  including some ref's that were sent to me by others ...

Happy to provide ongoing ideas and any other help via PM, Bill

Rog :)

Edited by Artful69, 20 August 2017 - 06:02 AM.

• mywifehatesmodels, Alburymodeler, harvey and 1 other like this

#43 ghatherly

ghatherly

• LSP Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,527 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 10:52 PM

Funny!!

The speed of this thread shows that there is some interests.   I want to thank Bill for thinking of us for the project.   My concerns are I am a jet Guy, and as comfortable as I am doing modern US jets, I feel just as lost and dumbfounded at a WWII prospect much less a German bird.   What I discussed with Bill was that with this group of enthusiasts for this project, there has to be one or two that can generate CAD files to have parts printed with the expected level of detail and accuracy that you all and I would expect a set to have.   A deposit is the least of the concerns as I won't take people money until I can deliver product.  

I have no problem making the investment in the molds and the kit support ( packaging, instructions, test fitting, etc) and funding that myself.  What I don't have is any expertise for what the G is, what is right, the sub variants ( all German Planes had these) and to be honest or the interest to educate myself on those details.  I am a US jet guy and the staff I have are Jet guys, not German WWII prop guys.   IF one of you or a few can get together and generate a complete 3D printable CAD package, I can take it from there.   This would keep the costs and the price down to where more can afford it and enjoy it.

Maybe I would even be a convert!

Edited by ghatherly, 17 August 2017 - 10:54 PM.

• thierry laurent, Alburymodeler, harvey and 1 other like this

Many Thanks, Gary

email:   garyhatherly@gtresinproducts.com.      

Web Site:   www.gtresinproducts.com

"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God, He was with God in the beginning. Through Him all things were made; without Him nothing was made that has been made. In Him was life, and that life was the light of men. The light shines in the darkness, but the darkness has not understood it.” John 1:1-4

dd34971d-1dff-4d25-b610-dddb8f8ab69c_zps

#44 Out2gtcha

Out2gtcha

• LSP Moderator
  • 20,731 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 10:57 PM

Coooooooooooool! Im in the middle of two other projects, one a budding zine project I am just starting out on, and another is a possible budding capitol project with another couple of LSPers to bring some things to market for us, but I too would be willing to chip in some capitol if the proper numbers were reached, and we had a bit more definitive notion of costs and what not. 

Im enjoying this thread so far though. 

• harvey likes this

#45 harvey

harvey

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,320 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 11:04 PM

Thanks for chiming in Rog !!.......Harv

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users