Incom T-65 space superiority fighter (aka X-wing Fighter)

BloorwestSiR

Fine Molds has kept ownership of their moulds and is actually supplying Revell with the kits. As a result, the kits are coming out at a much higher price than when they in a Fine Molds box. If anyone is after them, Cult TV Man has a pre-order discount on now which is a bit closer to their original price.

Having picked up most of the Bandai kits, I've done a quick comparison between them and the Fine Molds kits. The detail is as good and possibly better than the Fine Molds kits.

Carl

Edited by BloorwestSiR

Fine Molds has kept ownership of their moulds and is actually supplying Revell with the kits.

Ah, now that's something I hadn't heard before. Makes sense, though, as Fine Molds get to not only keep the moulds, but keep making money out of them too.

Kev

Plus it's probably cheaper to ship plastic than a bunch of metal moulds.

Slightly off topic, but received a notice that Amazon has the Bandai X-wing for $18.21 CAD shipped.

Not sure what shipping to Australia would be any different but that's probably the best price I've seen yet for this kit.

I tried to post a link but it didn't work.

Carl

Edited by BloorwestSiR

Fine Molds has kept ownership of their moulds and is actually supplying Revell with the kits. As a result, the kits are coming out at a much higher price than when they in a Fine Molds box. If anyone is after them, Cult TV Man has a pre-order discount on now which is a bit closer to their original price.

Having picked up most of the Bandai kits, I've done a quick comparison between them and the Fine Molds kits. The detail is as good and possibly better than the Fine Molds kits.

Carl

I've seen the Bandai Star Trek Enterprise kits and they are...poor fit to say the least.  They don't interest me in the slightest.  The Bandai 1/350 Space battleship Yamato does look nicely done though (and gets good reviews) and I'll have to get it One day to add to my stash.  I'd be very surprised to see Bandai better the FM MF 1/72 kits to be honest.  I'm not saying it's impossible, but those MF 1/72 kits are amazingly done.  There's no much that separates them from the actual studio models for the movies imho.

Dave

edit: the MPC MF has far less detail and is far less accurate than FM version...

Edited by dpastern

I've built two of the Bandai Enterprise kits, the re-fit and the E. The re-fit had a couple minor fit issues but nothing compared to the AMT 1/537 kit. The E went together really well as I recall.

For the Yamato kits, the 1/350 apparently has shape issues as it was based off the CGI version created for a Pachinko game. The most recent SBY 2199 1/500 version is very nice though. There's one being built here in the forum and I have one in my stash that I'll get to at some point.

I also have the FM Falcons, in both 1/72 and 1/144. At the moment I still find the big one far too daunting a build to start it. I would need to practice my weathering skills before I crack that one open.

There are some pics up of the Bandai Falcon and people are commenting very favorably on it.

Carl

I'd be very surprised to see Bandai better the FM MF 1/72 kits to be honest.

You'll be very surprised then! I have the X-wing, Tie Fighter and Y-wing from both Finemolds and Bandai. The detail on the Bandai kits makes that of the FM-kits look soft! Don't get me wrong, the FM kits are great but the Bandai ones are noticeably better. The FM Tie Fighter is a lot smaller too, it's 1/96 scale instead of 1/72 from what I've read.

I've built two of the Bandai Enterprise kits, the re-fit and the E. The re-fit had a couple minor fit issues but nothing compared to the AMT 1/537 kit. The E went together really well as I recall.

For the Yamato kits, the 1/350 apparently has shape issues as it was based off the CGI version created for a Pachinko game. The most recent SBY 2199 1/500 version is very nice though. There's one being built here in the forum and I have one in my stash that I'll get to at some point.

I also have the FM Falcons, in both 1/72 and 1/144. At the moment I still find the big one far too daunting a build to start it. I would need to practice my weathering skills before I crack that one open.

There are some pics up of the Bandai Falcon and people are commenting very favorably on it.

Carl

The old AMT kits are pretty bad by all accounts (I have nearly all of them in my stash to build, as I'm a trekkie as well as a Star Wars fan).  The new Polar Lights 1/350 scale Enterprises are very good by all accounts though, far more accurate than the old kits.

mmm I shall have to investigate further.  I see a dark disturbance in the balance of my credit card lol...

You'll be very surprised then! I have the X-wing, Tie Fighter and Y-wing from both Finemolds and Bandai. The detail on the Bandai kits makes that of the FM-kits look soft! Don't get me wrong, the FM kits are great but the Bandai ones are noticeably better. The FM Tie Fighter is a lot smaller too, it's 1/96 scale instead of 1/72 from what I've read.

That is very surprising.  Thank you for this - I really shall go looking at the Bandai kit now.  Is it 1/72 like the FM one?

Dave

edit: looks like the Bandai MF is only 1/144...I'll pass!  It does look very nice though, detail looks a bit more crisp than the FM 1/144 MF.  

Edited by dpastern