He 111 P2 detail thread

Hi Guttorm,

I have started a build thread in "Work in Progress".

You'll see pics of the etch available for this kit, and my attempts to fit it. I have a problem in that the Eduard Bomb bay has all the bays divided into four sections, and one bay in each bank is completely walled off.

Can you please help??

i ahve not seen the eduards bomb bay and just saw your post here. The He 111 originally had inserts to put into the bomb bay if you wanted to divede the cell into smaller compartments ( make one compartment into four ) so if those are in it means its only configureted for the 50kg bombs..not sure what you mean by walled of in each bank.. will look into your build post

Hi Guttorm,

I've read that your museum's He 111 is in fact an He 111 P-2, whereas Revell's box and instructions state that their 1/32-scale kit represents a P-1. I've read also that the primary differences between the P-1 and P-2 versions were installation of an FuG 10 radio rather than an FuG IIIaU radio and five, rather than three, machine guns on the P-2.

With all that in mind, I'm confused by the fact that Revell's marvelous 1/32-scale kit includes six machine guns (three on each of two identical sprues), whereas its instructions appear to describe the installation of only three: one in the nose, one in the dorsal turret, and one in the ventral gondola. So finally, here's my question: If your museum's '111 is in fact a P-2 and if P-2s had two more machine guns than are shown in Revell's instructions, where should I locate those two additional machine guns in order to build a P-2?

Charles Metz

Guest Nigelr32

Charles,

Just in case Guttorm doesn't see this....

I think you'll find the two extra guns are located in the rear side windows.

I think you'll find the two extra guns are located in the rear side windows.

Many thanks, Nige: given your lead, I was able to find a drawing of a P-2 with window guns on page 24 of Squadron/Signal In Action No. 164. I haven't been able to locate any photos that show those guns on a P, however, and Revell's instructions state that an additional pair was installed only on some P-2s, so I hope that Guttorm will be willing to offer an opinion as well.

Charles Metz

my thoughs on this is that the P2 did not have those installed until later in the war or never got it installed ( this is ofcourse something to wonder..as we will never know all fieldmods )..but i do have pictures ( trying to find them ) of the P2 with a second gun in the gondola facing forward but never seen any in the sidewindows.

but there could be 2 in the gondola..facing forward and aft

our P2 started its life as a P1 and ended its life as a P2 ( with the FuG 10 system )

when our He 111 was recovered from the mountain it had bellylanded.. so the bola was kinda flattened and rebuild/restored to spec !! But i found just two years ago the remains of the original bola parts not used( just a few parts.. and those parts proves that our P2 had two guns in the bola.. one facing backwards and one forward ( as the parts was the flattened Mg 15 holders and ammo chute ejection hatches

our P2 has no traces and also not seen of Ww2 pictures of 5J+CN ( as some exsist..just before the crash and also just after ) that the sidewindow guns was not installed ( but ofcourse during BoB i am sute somebody decided that whatever plane taking part needed better protection and put those in .. but one small detail need to be addad to that..in the P2 version parts of the FuG 10 system blocks the left side forward window so if it was installed in the left side it has to be the last window ( starting from nose .. )

you can see in my build how i did this and also original pics showing the second window blocked

now i am just babbeling so of to bed :)

and a small wow..i got this thread pinned .. wow..thanks :) coool

thanks for the heads up Nige and Guttorm.. will make sure to double and triple check the fit before glueing! Guttorm, do you happen to have any pictures of the wheel wells? would love to see what all is going on up in there as it's a fairly large hole on the finished model and there's a lot of room to add wiring and piping. I've just been unable to find any reference pictures of it!

Cheers,

Jerry

FYI: We have moved this thread and pinned it with the Ju88 and F-86 threads in the 'In The Works' forum.

Sorry for the delay; we were working on a better, permanent, solution for threads like this but did not come up with a good solution then got busy with other items and this thread slipped our minds.

Guest Nigelr32

FYI: We have moved this thread and pinned it with the Ju88 and F-86 threads in the 'In The Works' forum.

Sorry for the delay; we were working on a better, permanent, solution for threads like this but did not come up with a good solution then got busy with other items and this thread slipped our minds.

Thanks Ray,

This thread is now in it's rightful place.

Guest Nigelr32

Guttorm,

If you have time, could you please get a picture of the front of the Gondola, from inside. I'm talking about the area between the floor and the Gondola.

Thanks in anticipation.

Edited by Nigelr32

a few pictures that might help some..

about also a missing feature on the kit ( the hole for the flares..inside the flaregun was mounted and the hole in the fuselage on the right side of the cockpit is where the flare was shoot out thru

also a picture to show bomb bay in position to panels

and a picture to show how the forward part of the gondola looks ( and also where a second Mg 15 can be fit )

and some pictures showing the tow windows on the fuselage behind the gondola ( will try and get some time to take a picture inside later )

and also note the bombcells.. here its for the larger 500kg, insert for smaller 250kg and the one used with incediries..all these are optional for what load you want your kit to carry.. eduards has made it with the 250kg inserts in place

062.jpg

061.jpg

059.jpg

054.jpg

055.jpg

056.jpg

051.jpg

052.jpg

053.jpg

Brilliant - thanks Guttorm!

Looks like mine's now pretty close in the area around rear of gondola - definitely wrong in the kit.

Also supports my thinking that Revell have the bomb cells/bomb doors coming too far forward.

<wanders off to look at where the flare hole should go on the model>

:)

Iain