Spitfire question

Jack

Since i'm no spitfire expert i'll just lay it out for anyone who can answer this one:

Did a spitfire EVER carry any external fuel tanks, like e.g. underwing tanks on pylons, or a centre line fuel tank?

I actually couldn't find any picture showing the spit with this feature.

HTH

Jack.

Ron, by slipper tank you mean the bulged appearance underneath the fuselage centre section?

And if so, could that slipper tank be jettisoned?

J.

Hi Shawn, thanks for the info, but just to be sure, this slipper tank could be dropped inflight, e.g. when engaging in a dogfight?

J.

Edited by Jack

The Mk IX carried one which was very similar, if not the same as fitted to the Typhoon, but not the Hurricane. A useful thread http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=57262 & 1/48 version http://umm-usa.com/onlinestore/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=11&products_id=312 A couple of pics, courtesy of Edgar

SpitfireIXdroptank1.jpg

SpitfireIXdroptank2.jpg

Edited by Kagemusha

Well to "actualize" this question:

A couple of days ago, in our control tower, we were visited by a veteran pilot of the dutch 322 squadron, who told his story about crashlanding his Spitfire after having been hit by FLAK at the end of WW2, and he commented on having to drop his fueltank before trying to land. He must have been very lucky for he was able to land his Spit, and walk away from it, when flying low below an overcast, and his wingman had the same fate when checking up on him.

And so i was curious on the tank issue and how it was used.

Jack.

According to the memoirs of a Norwegian pilot, stationed at North Weald (north-west of London,) it was their usual practice to cross the Channel at sea-level, jettison their tanks as they reached the French coast, then climb to their operational altitude.

Edgar