Dieselpunk BF 109

spacewolf

After deciding against the working lights it was time to put in the grill work... 1/16th strips....

HiI1vvh.jpg

This was tedious... each strip had to be cut... two different sizes, the forward edges rounded ... and each strip is three parts..

vRkwAuL.jpg

Took me several days... but it was worth it methinks !

szCbg29.jpg

ZfgTu0P.jpg

So in between bouts with the grill work I made the start of the rear bottom parts..

dP6RSON.jpg

The opening is for the lower fin tab..

duGxZcJ.jpg

Glued in place...

bnLg2Zo.jpg

Angled sides and wedge planking around front and back... styrene sticks dipped in glue and the melted plastic for filler for the gaps..

q16TAce.jpg

8MxDTbz.jpg

2eljvTC.jpg

Looking at the belly area I got a bit of an idea and started cutting plastic...

S91cd2z.jpg

I'm framing this up without gluing it on as my plans for the cockpit requires me to cut out the bottom and insert the cockpit from below..

6vf0Xh7.jpg

mOzgBgb.jpg

The top and bottom fins framed up.. 1/16th center with 1/32 sheet laminated with thick CA... will be sanded to an airfoil shape then scribed and detailed...

M5l9KLl.jpg

fmjwBpR.jpg

So there we are... Hope you all have a great weekend and get some quality bench time. Tune in next week and we'll see whats happening with this build !

Edited by spacewolf

It's been a slow week build wise... work and a bit of a head cold slowing me down... but, it's that time again !! :frantic:

Whilst building this ship I've found it funny... the neatest images have been popping up on my FB feed... one would almost think someone were watching me and feeding me things I want to see.... :hmmm:

4YBKk8B.jpg

Real cars with a very Steampunk look... :wub: :wub: :wub:

fvnkIgs.jpg

Talk about inspiration !!

Anyhoo.... on to the build !... the belly insert was framed up a bit more, the side sheeting glued on...

Sw3JkXH.jpg

Then the curved area's planked & sanded down. A bit of a ring was glued around the rear area and the edges rounded off... lots to do on this yet.

XI7EDv5.jpg

Edited by spacewolf

The top bit of the radiator was made from laminated bits of scrap sheet...

BZy4xiL.jpg

pkK84Rq.jpg

The mid fuselage has been bugging me... what I've built so far has a 'coke bottle' look and I'm not happy with it... looking at the pic by Matt Savage I started seeing detail that to this point had escaped me.. so I started adding detail and slowly it's starting to look more like what it should...

LjOvOld.jpg

Another raid on the long suffering US/ USSR missile set provided a part that was trimmed and sanded to shape as well as the right diameter sprue for the pipe.... a bit of careful work with a candle to heat and mold the curves...

V4GUTt6.jpg

And there you have it for now. A short update but progress is being made ! Tune in next week to see what, if any progress there is.. or isn't ! :rolleyes: