"What a piece of junk!"- Fine Molds 1/144 Millennium Falco

BloorwestSiR

Just adding to this thread as we were talking about the Revell 1/72 release of the falcon.  Here's One Aussie retailer's pre-order information page for the kit:

http://metrohobbies.com.au/model-kits/sci-fi/star-wars.html?utm_source=Metro+Hobbies+Newsletter&utm_campaign=b0b12b9cd9-Metro_Hobbies_eNewsletter_91_14_2016&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_984eadd26b-b0b12b9cd9-148927337

very disappointed at the pricing to be honest.  I was lucky enough to get a 2nd MF kit during it's re-release 2 or 3 years ago by Finemolds and it was nowhere near that price...granted, the Aussie dollar is a lot worse now, so that might be a good reason for the huge price differential...

Dave

LOVELY build man!   I really like the way it turned out.

IMG_20151127_225939.jpg

Ive always wondered about the scale dynamics of the exhaust streaks on the Falcon.............I mean yes, in space there is no atmosphere/air to create an air-flow directed exhaust stain, but having seen the Falcon fly IN atmosphere on many planets, I wonder if in reality it would be more directional?   Probably not, as it appears most time was in fact spent in a vacuum, but never the less, it always made me wonder.

Spectacular build though, and makes me keep eying that 72nd Revell kit at my LHS!!!! 

Just adding to this thread as we were talking about the Revell 1/72 release of the falcon. Here's One Aussie retailer's pre-order information page for the kit:

http://metrohobbies.com.au/model-kits/sci-fi/star-wars.html?utm_source=Metro+Hobbies+Newsletter&utm_campaign=b0b12b9cd9-Metro_Hobbies_eNewsletter_91_14_2016&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_984eadd26b-b0b12b9cd9-148927337

very disappointed at the pricing to be honest. I was lucky enough to get a 2nd MF kit during it's re-release 2 or 3 years ago by Finemolds and it was nowhere near that price...granted, the Aussie dollar is a lot worse now, so that might be a good reason for the huge price differential...

Dave

My LHS has it in stock and is asking $450CAD for it. That's pretty much double what I paid for mine when Fine Molds did their second run.

Your definitely right about the exchange rate being a factor as the Canadian one has tanked recently which accounts for a bunch of the difference.

LOVELY build man! I really like the way it turned out.

Ive always wondered about the scale dynamics of the exhaust streaks on the Falcon.............I mean yes, in space there is no atmosphere/air to create an air-flow directed exhaust stain, but having seen the Falcon fly IN atmosphere on many planets, I wonder if in reality it would be more directional? Probably not, as it appears most time was in fact spent in a vacuum, but never the less, it always made me wonder.

Spectacular build though, and makes me keep eying that 72nd Revell kit at my LHS!!!!

Thanks Brian! The exhaust staining seems to be a constant subject as it's definitely not the direction of the air flow (space flow?). It's more in the direction of gravity when the ship is parked. It flows straight down. Someone figured it was exhaust venting when the ship has just landed.

Sci Fi, go figure.

As for the 1/72nd one, unless Bandai upscale and backdate their 1/144 version, it might just be the penultimate model of the Falcon.

Carl

My LHS has it in stock and is asking $450CAD for it. That's pretty much double what I paid for mine when Fine Molds did their second run.

Your definitely right about the exchange rate being a factor as the Canadian one has tanked recently which accounts for a bunch of the difference.

My LHS has the Revell repop in stock for around $250 - $299.....can't remember the exact price but it seemed like it was right on the same pre order price I saw it at on my initial thread on the 72nd scale repop.

REALLY will be hard not to grab if its still there when I get my tax refund in the Spring!!

My LHS has the Revell repop in stock for around $250 - $299.....can't remember the exact price but it seemed like it was right on the same pre order price I saw it at on my initial thread on the 72nd scale repop.

REALLY will be hard not to grab if its still there when I get my tax refund in the Spring!!

yes, you probably won't notice any difference, cos you were US $ back a few years ago, and are still US $.  For those of us not using the US $ as our currency...it's a difference story.  The thing that pisses me off is that Fine Molds is a Japanese company, and the Australian $ vs Japanese Y has remained stable.  So, there shouldn't be a bloody well price increase just cos the Australian $ has dropped in value against the US $.  Price gouging at its worst and I'm a real hater of it.  It's nothing more than regional discrimination.

I'm pretty pissed that the Australian government has deliberately allowed the Australian $ to go South.  Our de-valuing has nothing to do with the US economy "booming" (which is utter BS).  It has everything to do with the Australian government deliberately sabotaging the Australian $ to discourage Australians from buying overseas and to try to force them to buy locally and support local Australian business.  I'm all for supporting Australian business - when their pricing structure is reasonable.  Sadly, most Australian businesses price gouge Australians and sadly, the majority of our population is too stupid to realise this - or too lazy.  Or perhaps both.  Sorry for the rant, but getting really sick and tired of being screwed around by our government.

Dave

Plus for you guys I would assume that a huge box like the FM Falcon comes in, would make it cost prohibitive to order from anywhere else.

it's far cheaper for me to get anything from Hong Kong/Japan from either Europe or the US/Canada.  I've had stuff come via EMS from Hong Kong/Japan in 2 working days!  it's typically 4-5 working days for US/Canada.

Dave

LOVELY build man!   I really like the way it turned out.

Ive always wondered about the scale dynamics of the exhaust streaks on the Falcon.............I mean yes, in space there is no atmosphere/air to create an air-flow directed exhaust stain, but having seen the Falcon fly IN atmosphere on many planets, I wonder if in reality it would be more directional?   Probably not, as it appears most time was in fact spent in a vacuum, but never the less, it always made me wonder.

It is kind of funny to me how we are here....almost 40 years later....theorizing about the rationale behind painted exhaust streaks on a model of a model.  I suspect the painter at Lucasfilm who wielded the airbrush and painted those streaks 40 years ago on the original Millennium Falcon prop would find this discussion amusing, because I suspect he/she gave it hardly a thought before painting them on.

I am not knocking you though...because I have always wondered the same thing.  It doesn't look right to me either.

Fantastic build BTW! 

It is kind of funny to me how we are here....almost 40 years later....theorizing about the rationale behind painted exhaust streaks on a model of a model. I suspect the painter at Lucasfilm who wielded the airbrush and painted those streaks 40 years ago on the original Millennium Falcon prop would find this discussion amusing, because I suspect he/she gave it hardly a thought before painting them on.

I am not knocking you though...because I have always wondered the same thing. It doesn't look right to me either.

Fantastic build BTW!

I wondered that too! And I agree the original artist would be bemused.

Here's a theory: the streaks are caused by an emission that only comes out "dirty" enough to cause stains when the falcon is on the ground. In that state the vents themselves direct the airflow in "radial" directions. As it lifts off the vents start to emit "clean" and there's nothing left to stain.

Convincing? Too nerdy? :P

Cheers

Jim