sprayable liquid mask...is there such a thing?

Gazzas

I have a bottle of liquid mask.  It's a blue-green substance somewhere between slime and snot.  I've used it a few times, but find it's not as useful as hoped.  It's just too difficult to be accurate with.

Now, I have some neat metal masks I've bought.  These are for national markings and I would like to avoid the paint rising step-pyramid like with each color or layer of paint applied.

Ideally, I would spray a color, and once it was dry, and having not removed the mask spray on a bit of liquid mask, then lift away the metal mask.  ...then apply the next mask, and move to the next color...and so on.

Once these national markings were finished, I would then mask them off completely and add camo, weathering, etc.

fewer layers = better finish ....hopefully. 

Anybody know of a name-brand made just for something like this?

I googled awhile and found some stuff for larger applications and more powerful sprayers, but nothing in our scales.

Thank you for your thoughts!

Gaz

Interesting question and I've wondered about that myself. Some of the liquid masks are water soluble, but I've never had the guts to try it as I can just picture that junk drying in my airbrush and ruining it! 

Maybe the blue stuff you have is different than the blue stuff I have, but I've found it kind of ornery to remove. I'd expect some of the underlying paint to come up when you tried to remove the dried liquid mask. Interesting concept, though.

Edited by AdamR

Unfortunately haven't found anything positive. There are automotive applications, but it's done with fair sized spray gun. Nothing a small as what we would use.

I did find one thread where someone remarked about a required thickness just to be able to peel a mask off. So maybe it wouldn't work in our scale. Having never painted a car, I don't have any idea about paint thickness or air pressure used.

An airgun itself wouldn't be overly expensive. And I already have a shop compressor capable of a lot more than my airbrush demands. But there it's still the consideration of trying something that won't work in our scale and wasting the money.

I was hoping one of the master maskers would chime in.

Gaz