Tamiya P-51D, Sinai, 1956, with Reposted Images

dodgem37

The scratch built detail that you have added is simply mind boggling Mark. You are well on your way to a museum piece once it's done.

I admire your efforts, as I'd never have the patience (let alone the talent) to attempt it on anything I throw together.

Cheers,

Kevin

Your compliments are very generous, Gentlemen. Thank you ever so kindly.

It has been asked on another thread if I have made any progress or given up.

No, I haven't given up, and currently there is no real progress on the model. I've been researching, accumulating, deciphering, and printing information on the engine. Initially the linkage system, but eventually the entire engine. There is a lot of differing imagery on the web of the linkage system.

But I've found some high resolution imagery that works. The web imagery I've found has been too low in resolution to print clearly. So the imagery appears out of focus. But I now have some purchased high resolution CDs and downloads that are the ticket. The other good thing is that they are of the engine in the model. Which the web information has not been.

I've also been practicing miniaturizing my skill set and using different techniques to make parts. I've been trying to figure out how to make the linkage system. It's very, very tiny. And complicated.

Work beckons.

Sincerely,

Mark

'Do the ammo belts measure out to the 1/32 scale full nine yards?'

I guess if you really didn't want to know, you wouldn't have asked. Yes they do. But only when laid out flat. The outer rounds (400 count) measure out to 10.6 yards. The inner rounds (270 count) measure out to 7.2 yards. This is based on 25 rounds equalling 24 inches (found on the web).

Sincerely,

Mark

Just checking in and waiting for another wonderful build update.

GULP! The pressure is on! Thank you, Peter.

. . . a fantastic help, source and inspiration.

Thank you very much for your compliments, Peter.

This is quite an impressive and inspiring workmanship on your part.

Anyone building a Mustang must surely find this build of yours as the most amazing

piece for references and your scratchbuilding is outstanding.

YOU ROCK...

Thank you, MARU. You are very generous.

A small update.

DSCN6503.jpg

While work on the engine was drying I did a little work on and off on the landing gear. Drilled a few holes, filled gaps, punched discs, and attached resin bolts I made from armor road wheels.

DSCN6505.jpg

Finally got some work done this morning on the linkage. The CD and other image purchases came in real handy. Now I almost know what I'm looking at. Which is helpful. The curved rod with the oval connectors: .010 strip was too thick for the connector of this link. Even after making the connector from .010 and sanding, it was still too thick. So what I did was press the end of the rod in a plier to flatten it, then trimmed it leaving .5mm of flat area, which gave me my thickness. I then flattened additional rod, cut it, shaped it, and glued it in position. I think the ovals are 1.5mm.

DSCN6506.jpg

Resin bolt is cast from a road wheel. I flattened, drilled, and shaped rod to make the arm toward the top. The one connected to the top red and green wire insulation.

All of that business toward the bottom may be difficult to see well. For that I apologize.

Thanks for looking in.

Sincerely,

Mark

So this is where you have been hiding eh?

I see nothing has changed Mark.

Painstaking detail and superb craftsmanship as usual my friend.

Going to have to check in with you here more often!

Phil :clap2: :clap2:

Edited by PhilB