Aussie Mossie, RNZAF Trainer

Anthony in NZ

Well, all this Mosquito action and discussion has made me finally buckle to the pressure and crack open this Tamiya kit. Having been one of the people involved with the kits development I figured I better build it!

I have decided to go with a slightly esoteric version of the Mosquito for this build and I suspect it wont be the last one I do. It is not going to be a Wolf Buddee type build....I cant compete with skills like that, but I do hope to do her justice.

I have just ordered the Master set for the kit which includes guns, cannon and pitot http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/361441001012?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Although I wont be using the cannon I am sure I can use it on a future build...or just dream that some day there will be a 32nd Vampire I can use them in...lol!

Being a trainer I decided that I would need the Eduard interior set for another set of their lovely rudder pedals and some interior details that might be helpful. The guys at Tamiya have sent me another couple of sprues for my project as well, which will help in some areas of the cockpit.

Ok, where do I start with explaining the Trainer? The aircraft below is the aircraft I am modelling, NZ2308 an Australian built airframe. Built as an FB-40 (Australian version of the FB-VI with some differences)and converted to a dual control T43 on the production line.

scan0004_zps9oh0otxh.jpg

The T43 was interesting in that it is a bit of a mix between the T3 and the FB-VI. The T43 had the same bomb bay layout as the fighter bomber with separate bomb doors, but no cannon fitted. Machine guns were more often than not fitted. T43 also had the ability to catty drop tanks and RP rails. There was an extra elevator trim in the cockpit next to the instructor. There are other detail differences that I will try and cover off along the way.

T43's also had slightly different side cowls. Although NZ2308 was refitted with British engines and cowls shortly after arriving in NZ.

You can see the slight difference in this lower pic compared to the one above.

Tamiya%20Mossie%20inst_zpsjrgpo5ij.jpg

As I go I will try and point out some areas that may need addressing even if you are doing an FB-VI. But as always check your refs. Trainers are hard to get info on, even Glyn who is rebuilding NZ2308 is having difficulties with the elevator trim set up on the starboard side (where the trailing aerial winder was). So if any of you Australians out there have some trainer cockpit pics then both Glyn and myself would be grateful.

Please feel free to ask questions along the way and I will do my best to answer them

Anyway, there is my intro. I will start getting on with the build.....

Cheers
Anthony

Edited by Anthony in NZ

A little earlier I had a bit of a play with the control surfaces.

When the elevators are drooped, the trim tabs pop up. Also when the ailerons are deflected the trim tabs also move in the opposite direction.....so thats what I did.

Tammos%20001_zps3rk7ua0b.jpg

Cheers

Anthony

Thanks Mike & Ian!

I actually made a bit of a start on the weekend. I have cut some ovals of Evergreen stock to the exact shape of the cannon panel openings and superglued them in. I have polished it up and it is ready for a shot of Mr Surfacer...

002_zpso51zowqv.jpg

Oh and see that circular panel at the back behind the cannon port openings....remove that unless you plan on doing a nightfighter as this was an antenna mounting point. I have it filled with superglue and sanded smooth.

Thanks again

Anthony

Edited by Anthony in NZ

Thanks Richard, much appreciated mate!

Shot some Mr Surfacer primer on....looks good, just has a couple of light sanding marks to buff out. Being that is is going to be finished in a silver finish, I have to get the surface prep spot on.

t43%20001_zpspbaeqrao.jpg

Thanks for looking

Thanks Kev.....I appreciate your confidence in me!

I have been studying the differences for quite some time now so it is no surprise I have ripped into this conversion with direction.

Ok....time to get serious and deal with the cockpit!

009_zpsy7fy9apb.jpg

You will notice I have started hacking up the floor, do I know what I am doing by attacking an expensive kit like this??

I have to shave off this raised panel off this bulkhead as this was not on the trainer, the flare cartridges were relocated to behind the Instructors seat. There was no mounting for the Type 'F' flasher unit or fire extinguisher.

You can now see the reason I hacked up that floor....it was to remove the other mounting for the control column. this was reshaped and blocked up and glued onto the other kit part I had (thanks for the spare Mr Tamiya!).

Now it is starting to resemble a Trainer cockpit!

018_zpsqt3r4nl0.jpg

Well that's all for now, I hope this is interesting to some of you out there.

Lets see where this journey leads us eh??

Cheers

Anthony

Looks great so far!   This kit has to be arguably the best kit I have in my stash..............if I consider cost of what I paid VS what is in the box, molding technology, molding quality, overall detail, and build-ability. 

This looks really great so far Anthony, and like Iain, I can really appreciate something different (I have all the necessary AM and custom scratched additions for the the FB Mk XVIII Tsetse Im plannin including a 57mm rifle bored barrel and ammo).

Looking forward to continued progress!