Heading for Tobruk: A Panzer IIIG: Figure Painting 11/Feb/18

Gazzas

That is one fine looking Panzer III you have there Gaz.  I like how your finish is coming together and I'm interested to see just where you will take this once all the final bits are on.  I like the Panzer III and think your are headed towards a stellar build.  All I can say is more, please :D  Are you going to add a base?  Figures?  Thanks for sharing.

Dan

HI Dan,

Thank you for your kindnesses.  Right now the plan is for a two-vehicle multi-figured diorama on a simple desert base.  I'm leading an armored group build over at another site.  Whether I can get it to a satisfactory conclusion, is another thing.

If you want to check us out:  https://aeroscale.kitmaker.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=SquawkBox&file=index&req=viewtopic&topic_id=258000&page=1 

Gaz

HEY COOL! GAZ IS BUILDING TARGETS!!!   :m0152:

Gaz, Really like the work on the IIIG - armor is an entirely different thing than aircraft which makes it really cool when you show off your other builds.  Looks terrific and I've had the same issue with Chalk under a clear coat.  Just keep working it, you will get it back to where you like.  Also try VERY light coats as you do the over spray.  Hopefully that helps a bit.

As far as weathering, I tend to agree with Dan - go with what YOU like.  Few people here are going for a picture-perfect rendition of anything, and at this scale you need to add some visual tricks to get the effects you want.  I have a mustang that has every panel line etched in black and while nowhere near 'real', it is a cool effect.  Another mustang hardly has any panel lines visible and it looks interesting too.  

I think the dust effect you got going looks great.  Nice job!

Chris

Hi guys,

Thanks for the kind words and encouragement.  I'm still working on the finish as the second attempt to cover the dust with a non-water-based clear didn't work much better than the Future&Windex mixture.

I'm thinking I need to find a better fixative for the dust.  I'll try a couple things laying around home before I try buying a brand name fixative.  I reckon it will either have to be partially water based or solvent based, as an oil base would make me wonder about drying issues.  Perhaps I need to use a bit of dusty looking paint first.  Who know...  Part of the fun is the experimenting.

Cheers,

Gaz

Gaz, are you putting the dust on a clear or flat coat?  I have found that chalks attach better to flat coats better than gloss.  That may or may not work for you tho.

Good luck! Chris

Chris,

The dust was put over the oils used in streaking.  They adhered well using turpentine as the fixative.  They weren't falling off with the clear, but I think they were dissolving to some extent.

Today I experimented with a solution of 50/50 tap water/windex mixed with PVA glue.  The exact (inexact) measurements were one draw with a pipet of the water/glass cleaner to three drops of PVA glue.  I mixed the chalk pigments with the solution and they stood up to being covered with Future. 

Unfortunately, though I ran out of white chalk.  So I have to pick some up before I can redo the areas as before.  My dust mixture is white, yellow, gray, and brown, with white the most used.

Gaz

Chris,

The dust was put over the oils used in streaking.  They adhered well using turpentine as the fixative.  They weren't falling off with the clear, but I think they were dissolving to some extent.

Today I experimented with a solution of 50/50 tap water/windex mixed with PVA glue.  The exact (inexact) measurements were one draw with a pipet of the water/glass cleaner to three drops of PVA glue.  I mixed the chalk pigments with the solution and they stood up to being covered with Future. 

Unfortunately, though I ran out of white chalk.  So I have to pick some up before I can redo the areas as before.  My dust mixture is white, yellow, gray, and brown, with white the most used.

Gaz

Wow, that is some chemistry you got going on there Gaz!   :bow:

I just pulled out my chalk supply, and accidentally turned it all upside down.  This will be fun to clean up!

Chris

On the subject of chipping, with tanks and other AFVs they simply didn't LAST long enough in combat to rust out.

Heavy degrading of the finish is more appropriate for a knocked-out tank, which is why the Panzer Wrecks series sells well.

That's kind of the point I so heavy-handedly tried to make earlier. As I explained to another member, I was fresh from another forum where a bunch of people were gushing praise over a kit that was built in a most terrifying manner, but was weathered as if they wanted to try every technique in the book. I mean, he literally built it using a hot glue gun and parts were ill-fitting because...well, it's a hot glue gun.

Great looking  Panzer, Gaz!  Tanks are interesting to me but I'm too intimidated to try and build one.  Maybe one day....

Fear not, young man. It is only a plastic model. In many respects armor modelling is simpler, because often the seams on an Armor model coincide with welds and other joints.

Many of the techniques I've seen you use on your recent builds work for armor, too.

But, each to his own.

Gaz

In many respects armor modelling is simpler, because often the seams on an Armor model coincide with welds and other joints.

I'm going to have to think about that one.

I build both, and some subs, and the weathering on planes is actually easier unless you go in for heavy chipping and wear. Tanks get over-weathered in our hobby because we see their wrecks and forget that a rusted-out tank isn't one that will run very well.

Plus the Ol' Gunney would ream out any tankers who took bad care of their rides. You see this all the way back to the American Civil War where photos in the field show bright muskets with little or no evidence of rust on their barrels, even though they slept outdoors in the rain and used fire ash to polish their guns and brass.

HI everyone,

After devoting a lot of time this weekend on my Albatros build, I spent some time on details.  Like...  I should have put the decals on before I did any weathering...  I also painted up the tools and added Friul tracks.

Here are some photos:

b_205931.jpg

I'm still not totally pleased with dusting.  Clear coats are still giving me trouble.

b_205922.jpg

The Afrika Korps palm always makes me think of my time in Desert Storm.  Many variations of the Afrika Korps palm appeared on USMC vehicles.  In my battalion, B battery had their Battery letter replacing the swastika over a stylized palm.  Another variation was the Eagle Globe and Anchor replacing the Swastika.

b_205908.jpg

205942.jpg

I have yet to detail the exhausts...  Oh, and I have to add chains to the smoke grenades...

b_205955.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Gaz

Edited by Gazzas