North American BC-1 Trainer (Harvard Mk1) 1/48 Vacform - Sierra Scale

SirBlueHenry

• 3 months later...

Very interesting build. I have a love/hate relation with vacu kits.

Build a few 1/48 WWII bombers from Sanger/Contrail and MPM, but despite the effort I put into them, they still lack the finesse of an injection kit.

Therefore I really apreciate your aproach, replacing certin items for more detailed injected parts. I also would like to steal your use of litho plate for future vacu builds.

Yes - i guess thats really what its about. its not just to build the parts supplied in the vacform kit - but rather, using the vacform as a base - do everything you can to then achieve the best overall result. This BC-1 represents me just messing around with various techniques to achieve an acceptable model - Im not researching any more than necessary, as i far prefer AT-6 over BC-1 but it will look nice in the collection - nice colour scheme I think.

So far the thing i like most about the vacform is the thin fuselage skin - allowing more space internally  - which is closer to the real thing

Haha Kev - yes something positive. I wont be throwing it away - actually it's not too bad so far - just need to get the tailplane fillets done. and if the task looks too difficult then im doing it wrong - theres always an easier method - so - keep watching as this will start happening in the next days. 

ok - found my colour scheme on page 1. I think that blue is a bit too blue - I will tone it down.

But Now I need to find decals - I thought there were some provided but cant see any now.

Reminder - formation lights  - red green orange

Reminder - strengthen cowling location

I have started work on the wheel cover part of the upper wing surface - right at the leading edge. In hindsight i was way to hasty to get a good strong wing and the use of my metal spars has stopped me from being able to drill into the spar to help support these wheel covers. They will not glue strongly to the metal overlap I have there either. Its ok - i will roughen the metal surface - use superglue and then form an epoxy fillet underneath - but its not ideal. I did say from the beginning that i was not going to do wheel bay detail - and Im not - but I should have at least been more aware of work required in that area.

I didnt get to the tailplane fillets but I did do some research about what they looked like. I think i will use 'green stuff' if I still have some at home - its a nice epoxy putty - easy to use

Well - of course the 3D parts are not for this plane - or for any plane - i was just testing my ability to print them. They look ok but actually there are improvements i need to make before they are usable. Then what I might do is a 3D build. - something easy