Dental Acrylic use in modelling

Rich Go to your local beauty supply story. You can pick up the Cold Cure stuff in small bottles for experimenting. It is used to fill acrylic finger nails.  Use in a well ventilated room Use a Respirator mask. The powder ( Palomar ) and ( Monomer ) liquid are very flammable.   I have used the Dental types, Heat cure and Cold cure

For work as I work in the dental field. 

Hope this may be of help

Cheers

Danny

Edited by Vandy 1 VX 4

Great video from Paul! I've learned so much from him! Just amazed at his skills and ideas! Such creative solutions!!

I'm kind of surprised that LSP Matty hasn't introduced us to these dental products before ;) there really seems to be a use for some of these dental products and tools in our hobby! I might go and order some of that dental acrylic!

Cheers

Alan

• 2 weeks later...

I use one called pattern resin by GC Corp.  Its a cold curing resin that I use to build post and core patterns that then are cast in gold.  It cures very quickly, picks up any detail and can be fairly thin section but retain quite a degree of strength.  I used it on the wingroot trailing edge of my Laird Turner when I modified the shape of the kit wings.

It's hard to sand if you get it wrong though.

It's also good for gluing a flimsy wings in place.  A little acrylic inside the fuselage either side of the tabs holds the wing nicely.

Never knew the tip of mixing acylic powder with CA glue though.  Pauls a far more experienced modeller than I'll ever be.

I'd certainly recommend talking to a local dental technician who still makes dentures.  They ought to have some spare stuff lying around that's a bit out of date or not used any more.  Maybe an orthodontic lab for the clear stuff?

I did notice a few of the comments on the YouTube channel about how expensive this stuff is.  Knowing what some of our overheads are goes to explain why dental bills cop a lot of flak.

Cheers Matty

I had a sort of interesting experience trying to buy some of that clear acrylic powder from an online dental supply company.  I made the order online, then a few days later received a call from them saying they needed my dental license number.  I told them I was not a dentist, and intended to use the product for scale models.  She said "we only will sell it to licensed dentists".  I asked (quite calmly and politely) that since it was nothing more than a plastic powder, why couldn't it be sold to anyone?

Her response "We are afraid of the liability if someone tries to do their own dental work".  This is the sort of idiocy we have to deal with in a society overrun with attorneys, wherein no one will accept responsibility for their own actions.

I then asked her why I was able to buy the dental "free flow" powder (which I had purchased from them on two separate occasions) without a dental license.  This seemed to genuinely concern her, and she said that was a mistake, and should not have happened.  I could tell she was working up to asking me to send it all back....so I told her I had used much of it and was not returning it (I have pretty much a lifetime supply).

So that's that.  There's no good reason why dental suppliers cannot sell this stuff to modelers, but don't be surprised if they refuse to do so.

Edited by Bryan

• 4 months later...

nice video, I saw some of his videos, they are not bad at all! I also have an acrylic, it is not dental, of course) as I am not a dentist))I am afraid of them))  the one I am used to using is nice to deal with, but the shown technic is also worth noticing! you know, I like the experience of substituting one material for another one, some new qualities may be demontstated during such substitution and some may be even discovered!)so experiments are really useful!