Pre-Washed Panel Lines/Riveting

Nightrain

In several threads I have seen what appears to be models in the sanding/filling stages of builds in which the panel lines have already had wash applied. I believe I understand the concept to be that you are able to check your work before painting and having to correct issues further down the line. I am  working on the HK B-17G (later will be an F as well), I haven't built many models at all so this was a definite trial by fire but I think it is pushing me and it's turning out better than I anticipated so here I am. Sanding/filling stage. I want to repair bad mold lines as well as self inflicted ones from joining parts. I suppose my question being is should I put a thin oil wash on the bare plastic or should I put down a clear coat to bare plastic first much like it would after paint? My only goal is to see the lines to check the work, and most likely more sanding/scribing/rivets to come. I will be painting this one aluminum and going back again with possible post shading and weathering. Would oil wash on bare plastic cause adhesion issues to enamel based metallics later down the line? Is this even a necessary step or are there other ways of catching things before paint? I know primer shows issues but I need as thin of finish as possible. Any and all ideas, criticisms and general chit-chat welcomed. I am going crazy worrying from step to step and probably over analyzing these steps. Thanks for reading.

David

I think what you refer to is pre-shading, which is designed to accentuate the panel-lines after painting by giving them some "depth". Some people love pre-shading, others avoid it.

You will need to use a primer - or paint - of some sort to spot the seam lines and such. I'd not be concerned the primer would be too "thick", as it's a light coat just to spot bits that need work.

You can pretty much use anything to do that job, as long as it will be OK with your final enamel finish. I only paint acrylics, so I'm not sure what advice to give here, but I'm sure somebody else will chip in.

The preshading before paint I am familiar with. There was in particular one of the very heavily watched F-15 builds that seemed to put a wash on bare plastic ahead of all else. So many pages of those builds I had trouble finding it. It appeared to already have a wash in the fitting and gluing stage as well as sanding/finishing. Never saw this before but seemed like a good idea since I have a hard time distinguishing the panel lines and rivets while plastic is still bare and needing body work. As for the model being a doozy, I concur. It's my first model since I was a teen and I didn't even paint those back then so it's definitely pushed my comfort zone off a cliff. I knew the cost of the build would force me to try harder and diversify the box of tips/tricks. So far it's paying off. I simply see the level of build quality on this board which is stunning in many cases and I know it's a gradual thing but skilled peers make me want to raise my bar. Avoiding a disasterous crash and burn is my main concern now.

Hi,

The wash I used is Tamiya Panel Line Accent Color, which comes in a variety of colours but Black is used the most. I do this to check for scribing and riveting flaws during the build, with the added bonus that it also acts as a pre-shade before paint to allow some of this added detail to show through.

Hope this helps,

Chuck

• 3 weeks later...