Marseilles Bf-109F4 Wrk Nr 8673

Menelaos

Hi!

You must be working on the same project as me. Converting the Trumpeter 1/24 109G-2 to one of Marseille's 109F-4 Trops!

I'll have a look in the excellent Air Power Editions book on Marseille's 109s for you. If there isn't a photo in there, I'll be surprised if there is a photo anywhere!

Best regards;
Steve

Say folks I couldn't find any pictures of the nose of the 109F 8673, that should carry the JG27 emblem, that it should be different from the standard one.... Do someone has any wartime pics of the nose? http://www.markstyling.com/bf109fs2.htm Many TNX

I don't know what you mean by "different from the standard one". Each Staffel had their own emblem. Profiles of W.Nr.8673 show it with the emblem of 3./JG27,which is what is depicted in your link. I remember reading somewhere that, while the aircraft was with 3./JG27, it carried the emblem of 1./JG27. I only have one full shot of this plane, unfortunately it has its wingtips covered in tarps, and there are 2 on the fuselage as well - one covers all the perspex and the second covers the engine cowlings, so it is useless. Any number of people here would tell you to never trust profiles as absolute truth. And neither should you take my word for what I vividly remember reading because I can't prove it. I would be interested in an unobstructed full shot of this aircraft as well.

Edited by TBC

Hi!

You must be working on the same project as me. Converting the Trumpeter 1/24 109G-2 to one of Marseille's 109F-4 Trops!

I'll have a look in the excellent Air Power Editions book on Marseille's 109s for you. If there isn't a photo in there, I'll be surprised if there is a photo anywhere!

Best regards;

Steve

Yes Steve, that's right, I would like to make a good F4 and the one flown by Marseille is THE favorite one!....Would be great if you will find something about!!

I don't know what you mean by "different from the standard one". Each Staffel had their own emblem. Profiles of W.Nr.8673 show it with the emblem of 3./JG27,which is what is depicted in your link. I remember reading somewhere that, while the aircraft was with 3./JG27, it carried the emblem of 1./JG27. I only have one full shot of this plane, unfortunately it has its wingtips covered in tarps, and there are 2 on the fuselage as well - one covers all the perspex and the second covers the engine cowlings, so it is useless. Any number of people here would tell you to never trust profiles as absolute truth. And neither should you take my word for what I vividly remember reading because I can't prove it. I would be interested in an unobstructed full shot of this aircraft as well.

The particular F4 had a different JG27 emblem on the nose. At least this is metioned on the sheet of LifeLike Decals. The african native and Lion had no ear ring and the native head was transparent, so that the RLM79 color could be see in her face. The shape of Africa was also different and the Lion head short smaller....How far this is true I don't know....

I made my own emblem on decal sheet looking at their sheet. But where do they have those informations? Look here

http://www.karaya.pl/thumbnails/max/product/e098be5a5a1a75a2b62765aa95b59690a96960ac.jpg

http://images.auctionhelper.com/images/10343/Lifelike/LL48035c.jpg

Edited by Menelaos

Here are three screenshots from  http://archiv-akh.de/filme?utf-8=%E2%9C%93&q=Hans-Joachim+Marseille#8

Although the quality is poor it does show the starboard side of W. Nr. 8673 and confirms the I./JG 27 marking on the cowling. 

34948355220_d498fe8a58_o.jpg

34948341130_8f1dd97563_o.jpg

35168858302_751b4cac7a_o.jpg

The lioness appears to have the earring...

Edited by RBrown

Many TNX guys!!

Okay. Does it look like this?

http://imageshack.com/a/img922/5797/wHTkZe.jpg

yes! and look at the prop blade...it looks like the later G one...

Here are three screenshots from  http://archiv-akh.de/filme?utf-8=%E2%9C%93&q=Hans-Joachim+Marseille#8

Although the quality is poor it does show the starboard side of W. Nr. 8673 and confirms the I./JG 27 marking on the cowling. 

34948355220_d498fe8a58_o.jpg

34948341130_8f1dd97563_o.jpg

35168858302_751b4cac7a_o.jpg

The lioness appears to have the earring...

Now the lioness looks here diffrent as it is above...! perhaps another ac? (above)

Edited by Menelaos

Menelaos,

A few comments on this movie which I've seen before. Did you notice at the end that he is stepping out of his aircraft which doesn't have the black border around the number 14 and it is also a completely different faunt? This means it is not W.Nr.8673. Examination of my pictures determined that, based on the position of the number 4 with respect to the fuselage cross, this aircraft is neither 10059 or 10137. The number 4 and fuselage cross relative positions match up perfectly with images I have of 8693.

Also go the frame at 10:15:20:14. This aircraft is also not 8673 due to the faunt of the number 14 plus the fuselage has the high camo demarcation line. I think this is video of 10137. I do stand to be corrected. I believe there is also footage of 10059 out there too. This is clearly a compilation of his aircraft.

Edited by TBC

The video has footage of more than one of Marseille's 109s. 

But the presence of 8673, in some of the footage, is established by the rudder marking. 

Additional circumstantial evidence is the lack of a black border on the fuselage cross and the presence of the I./JG 27 emblem on the cowling.  Of the known Bf 109 Fs assigned to Marseille only 8673 carried the emblem on the cowling.

34502949784_de5d6a56fa_o.jpg

34503065214_52f1bb61f9_o.jpg

Edited by RBrown