1/32 Trumpeter F-117A Nighthawk - in 45 Days!?!?

DoogsATX

Hello Mat... off topic a bit but ive enjoyed your reviews, videos, and colorful banter and have always wondered... what do you do with your works when they are completed?

I scored two sliding-front display cases from a local Hallmark store a few years ago. They're badly in need of a retooling of the shelving inside, but they do the job well enough.

As for the finishes from the build reviews, they become paint mules. Though the Kitty Hawk Su-17 I'm wrapping up right now (first four parts HERE) will probably be going straight into the trash!

Been slowed up on the 117 thanks to the stupid Kitty Hawk Su-17 review and getting the videos edited and out the door (teaser: the wings are good, and then there's everything else...). But some tiny progress has been happening in the cracks. 

First up...I was flipping through the manual for a different issue, and happened to come across this:

IMG_20170220_011914-X3.jpg

Cue five minutes of laughter. Guess I don't need to mess with the plotter now!

I've also decided that I'm going to build this sucker with the bomb doors closed. Why? Because honestly I think the way the doors just hang straight down looks downright goofy. It kills the lines of the aircraft - they rarely seem to be opened on the ground unless it's a loading or maintenance situation, or "air show" configuration. Either way...I think it looks better with them up, so there. 

Plus that way I can model the GBU-27s separately and maybe highlight them more than they would be hidden up under the fuselage. 

GBU-27_3.jpg

So - test fit of the doors. They'll take some work because the lower fuselage is pretty floppy at the moment. But the sawteeth do fit in well with the fuselage. 

IMG_20170220_021317-X3.jpg

Bomb bay coming together for interior support. 

IMG_20170221_082929-X3.jpg

Excellent Matt!  I've been hammering away at the same kit for a while now, and have just begun the process once again of dusting off the bits that had bogged me down, and trying to push forward.  Lots of mistakes, and trial and error, but it's a very fun build all in all.  A bit of a blank canvas to detail as much or little as one might wish.  If it's of any help, I've got my own build log/saga you're welcome to poke around in and see if there's any info useful to help speed your own completion.  :)  http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=45784

Looking forward to following your own build here myself, and learning as much as I can.  Cheers!

Brian~

I scored two sliding-front display cases from a local Hallmark store a few years ago. They're badly in need of a retooling of the shelving inside, but they do the job well enough.

As for the finishes from the build reviews, they become paint mules. Though the Kitty Hawk Su-17 I'm wrapping up right now (first four parts HERE) will probably be going straight into the trash!

Turn it into a forgotten deralict. In some god awful wasteland.. sounds like where KH's head was at when the engineered it anyway.

Jeff

Turn it into a forgotten deralict. In some god awful wasteland.. sounds like where KH's head was at when the engineered it anyway.

Jeff

LOL! This one's going to be making a bee-line for the trash can honestly. Will hope that the incoming Hobby Boss will score higher on the buildability index. 

Hi Since you've not started on the cockpit, i've got lots of left overs:

1) - the Eduard cockpit interior - https://www.eduard.com/store/Eduard/F-117-interior-S-A-1-32.html

2) - Caracal Decals - but i've used some of the stencils -

PM me if you could use them, i'd be  glad to send them to you to see them go to good use.

Okay! I FINALLY wrapped up the Su-17 videos and got the last two segments rendering out last night, so from here on it's full steam on the 117.

Got the silly raised diamonds removed from the bomb doors, and got the doors installed. Still have to work a bit at where they meet in the middle, but I think I might do that with some support plastic on the inside. 

LRM_EXPORT_20170223_015113-X3.jpg

Also, hard to see in photos, but the underside has some serious surface texture going on. So out come the sanding tools to take it back to smooth. Didn't get to make much progress on this front, but thankfully it's made easier by the faceted surfaces vs. a ton of curves. 

LRM_EXPORT_20170223_015625-X3.jpg

Lastly, got my shipment of various blacks, grays and browns from Hobbyworld-USA. I'm semi-officially in love with the WWI Night Camo black - and think it's going to form the foundation of the paintwork. 

LRM_EXPORT_20170222_184530-X3.jpg

The raised diamonds on the bomb bay doors are accurately represented.  They were present on the actual jets as bumpers when the doors opened quickly in flight, and served as a sort of bumper against the doors hitting each other with the A/C in flight.  They are visible in many images of the underside, such as this example:

10b6946bf90c82bd8875741cd1e83d91.jpg

Hope that might be helpful!

The raised diamonds on the bomb bay doors are accurately represented.  They were present on the actual jets as bumpers when the doors opened quickly in flight, and served as a sort of bumper against the doors hitting each other with the A/C in flight.  They are visible in many images of the underside, such as this example:

Great picture. A little too late for Matt's doors.

I've got hundreds of reference images Matt, if you'd like me to send them on, collected over literally decades of research on this aircraft.  A number of them aren't readily available on the web.  As for the door bumpers, I would think they could be grafted back on easily enough with some small styrene bits.  Research on this airframe has been something of a personal mission of mine for ages now.  I'm happy to send what I have on to anyone interested - just shot me a PM here and I can get them sent.

I'm hopeful others may be able to benefit from my searching and own mistakes in my build as well.  The removal of the weird "ram tape / patches" on the upper surfaces is correct of course.  But I would suggest checking each one against multiple references to verify if it a feature should be removed entirely, minimized in appearance, or left as is.

Cheers!

Brian~

They're VERY proud on the kit though. Planning to add them back with something a bit more subtle.