33 replies to this topic

#1 Brian79

Brian79

Hooked For Life

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 01:42 AM

Hey guys, I'm pleased to announce a 1/32 Space Shuttle Discovery! Ok, I'm kidding, sit down, take the listing for your kids off Ebay, clean off your moniter. Seriously, Here at Fisher we have been debating for about the past 6 months or so on how to enter the model space arena and after much deliberation, we've decided that the shuttle is the way to go. Our focus has been the 1/72 Revell kit (Which is a LSP in its own right) and we are planning to release the following sets for it as part of our BSD line of real space kits:

Main Engine (SSME) Nozzles
Orbiter Manuevering System (OMS) Nozzles
Aft Reaction Control System (RCS) Packs
Main and Nose Wheels
External Tank (ET) Umbilical inserts with seperate doors
Cockpit

We thought that with 2011 bringing an end to the impressive career of the shuttle we would start by adding what we thought would be great accessories to this already cool kit. These items are all 100% new and are tooled to our usual high standards. I'll give you some details on these sets and let you know where we are with them:

SSME Nozzles: Masters are completed. As I said earlier, these nozzles are completely new tools and are extremely detailed, I'm sure you will be delighted when you see them!

OMS Nozzles: Masters are also complete.

Aft RCS Packs: Masters are complete. These packs are modeled after more recent missions and have a combination of the quilted style of insulation as well as engraved tile detail. This was a difficult task since all orbiters are different in regards to these areas, but we think we have captured the general characteristics well. They also feature realistic nozzles that look much better than the cones supplied with the kit. In an effort to keep things simple, we have mastered these to be one piece affairs.

Main and Nose wheels: Masters are under construction for these.

Umbilical Inserts: Masters are complete. These will be inserts that will replace the covered areas on the shuttles underside. Seperate doors are also included since they are quite noticable when open.

Cockpit: Master is under construction for this as well. This is a one piece insert for the tub and seats with a seperate instrument panel, but that could change to have seperate seats, we'll see how casting goes.

I'll be sure and let you know when these parts are ready and you can count on seeing pictures of them here first!

We appreciate your continued support and please keep the suggestions coming! :D

#2 LSP_Kevin

LSP_Kevin

• Administrator
  • 39,446 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 02:00 AM

Hey guys, I'm pleased to announce a 1/32 Space Shuttle Discovery!

Geez Brian, I just about had palpitations then! Would be awesome for someone to do though. I'm trying to imagine just how big that model would be...

Kev

#3 Brian79

Brian79

Hooked For Life

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 02:04 AM

Geez Brian, I just about had palpitations then! Would be awesome for someone to do though. I'm trying to imagine just how big that model would be...

Kev

45 inches long with about a 29 inch span....WAY TO BIG! LOL :doh:

#4 LSP_Kevin

LSP_Kevin

• Administrator
  • 39,446 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 02:11 AM

45 inches long with about a 29 inch span....WAY TO BIG! LOL :doh:

Wow. Well, for comparison, Revell/Monogram's 1/72 B-36 is 68.25 cm long (27 3/4 inches), with a wingspan of 96.5 cm (38 inches) (source).

I think Revell have, or are soon going to, re-release the 1/72 Shuttle, right?

Kev

#5 Brian79

Brian79

Hooked For Life

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 02:27 AM

Wow. Well, for comparison, Revell/Monogram's 1/72 B-36 is 68.25 cm long (27 3/4 inches), with a wingspan of 96.5 cm (38 inches) (source).

I think Revell have, or are soon going to, re-release the 1/72 Shuttle, right?

Kev

While the B-36 is big, you are looking at a large (read:$$$$$$) amount of resin to do something of that calibur. The Shuttle is much more robust so it would probably be even more, not to mention the weight!

Revell is reissuing the Monogram Shuttle with the boosters this year. With enough interest we could retool these parts to fit it if they don't already. The reason we decided to go with the Revell kit is that the Monogram kit is only released with the external tank and boosters now that Revell bought them out so the Revell version is much more common. Plus the Revell kit has the tile detail on it where as the Monogram kit doesn't have any detail. With a little work the Revell kit could probably be put on the Monogram external tank. In regards to shape each kit has their pluses and minuses, we just had to make a decision and making parts for a kit that hasn't been issued in over ten years didn't make good business sense. As I said if these sell well and there is enough demand we would certainly do a set for the Monogram kit.I think people are going to be blown away when they see the detail in these sets, even in 72nd they are extremely sharp.

#6 LSP_Kevin

LSP_Kevin

• Administrator
  • 39,446 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 02:31 AM

Actually Brian, I hadn't even realised that the Revell and Monogram kits weren't the same - I thought they were! :doh:

Kev

#7 Brian79

Brian79

Hooked For Life

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 02:46 AM

Actually Brian, I hadn't even realised that the Revell and Monogram kits weren't the same - I thought they were! :doh:

Kev

Nope, totally different tooling! The only place to consistantly find the monogram kit by itself is on Ebay.

#8 Cunumdrum61

Cunumdrum61

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 04:18 AM

Real Space models do the SSME's I think in 1/72 scale.Do not know about the other detail parts. I personally think you should look at doing a LEM in 1/32 scale as one has never been produced. There would be people lining up to provide you with research material to help you produce one in this scale.
Just my 2 cents worth!
Good luck!!

Edited by Cunumdrum61, 11 May 2011 - 04:19 AM.

#9 Allok

Allok

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,632 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 04:33 AM

The get pretty pricey, don't they?
Just saw a 1/72 Shuttle Crawler on Ebay (card model) Nice.

A 1/32-scale Vac Shuttle would be do-able... but still huge.
Don't you wish some people would use glue...
Instead of lipstick?

#10 Brian79

Brian79

Hooked For Life

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 10:14 AM

Real Space models do the SSME's I think in 1/72 scale.Do not know about the other detail parts. I personally think you should look at doing a LEM in 1/32 scale as one has never been produced. There would be people lining up to provide you with research material to help you produce one in this scale.
Just my 2 cents worth!
Good luck!!

I asked for help on the 1/32 LEM and got one response. If you are knowledgeable on the subject lets talk off line, I don't know anything about it, but I am willing to review drawings, info, etc to see if its a feasible, worth while venture . The RSM or the old CE SSME nozzles are not even in the same league as these.

#11 Brian79

Brian79

Hooked For Life

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 10:19 AM

The get pretty pricey, don't they?
Just saw a 1/72 Shuttle Crawler on Ebay (card model) Nice.

A 1/32-scale Vac Shuttle would be do-able... but still huge.

Hey Keith, the card crawlers are cool, I saw one in person and it is really, really big! Think half of a coffee table! :unsure:

#12 Scotsman

Scotsman

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,415 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 12:48 PM

The shuttle upgrades would be a stunning tribute to the STS Project , and seeing as how i've got an unbuilt Revell orbiter in the attic, bring them on!

As for the LEM , well there are a STACK of references out there as regards the construction of the LEM, I've got a number of them at home , being a closet space buff, (born the year sputnik flew) , I'll drop you a line to-night with some of the references I have , I've got a very old, expensive and to be honest not very good LM kit in 32nd at home and it was a waste of 100 .. I'd love a chance to build a decent one ..

#13 KAGNEW

KAGNEW

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,091 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 02:35 PM

and i just sold my Revell shuttle on eBay :BANGHEAD2: :blowup: :oops:

#14 John Duncan

John Duncan

• LSP_Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 07:23 PM

The shuttle parts are much appreciated! OMS pods will be great to have.

A couple of suggestions would be:

The shuttle RMS (remote manipulator arm)...fairly simple to do.

The S-band antenna dish (deployed from the payload bay)

The ISS docking system and airlock for the shuttle.

There are a few ISS modules which could be easily done that are carried in the bay, like the resupply modules.

Also, with the Airfix Skylab/Saturn V kit coming out, you could do the rest of the parts to build a Skylab.

Just my 2 cents..... :)

Edited by John Duncan, 11 May 2011 - 07:24 PM.

-John

Real Space guy who likes Aircraft too!

www.apollosaturn.com

#15 Peterpools

Peterpools

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,669 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 10:27 PM

Really caught me off guard with this project. Sure seems now a lot of Shuttles will be on there way to the launch pad. Good luck with the project.
Still checking the web site nearly every day for any new information on the Sea Fury.
Peter

Edited by Peterpools, 11 May 2011 - 10:41 PM.

On the bench: Trumpeter A6A Intruder VA-165 Boomers

USS Constellation 1971-72

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users