Nakajima J8N-1 Kikka

Hacker

Now that the things l was waiting for has come l can begin to build. The decision l had to make was how to do the fuselage. The real plane was manufacture in various locations much like the German did towards the end of the war. The fuselage was made in three sections, nose, cockpit , rear fuselage. Originally l was going to make masters and vacuum form it but l decided to go another route.

post-542-1177075471.jpg

The one portion of the rear fuselage can been seen from the cockpit behind the pilot's set. This l had to make. So l build it like the real deal, Ribs and stringers.

post-542-1177075703.jpg

The rest of the rear fuselage l really don't need to make the interior so l just made bulk heads and formers. The voids l will fill with either balsa wood or foam for a stiffener for the skin.

post-542-1177076133.jpg

here l have skinned the one part of the rear fuselage and added the cockpit. The wing attaches later to the bottom but this gives me access to the cockpit for detailing and painting. The floor will go up in after that.

post-542-1177076307.jpg

Another shot of this assemblies. The nose is next to make. there l will have to box in the nose gear and seeing no weapons was carried being a prototype (and the only one that flew) the nose like the rear portion of the tail will be solid. Again it will be filled with balsa wood or foam and skinned. Just a side note here. l have a set of Zero horizontal stabilizers and as my suspicions proved out they are the same as the kikka tail feathers except they are shorter in length but otherwise they are the same . Well that's all for now l got some fill, skinning and building to do. Hope you guys have a great day and maybe l will be back later today with more

Hacker :) :)

Guest LSP_Jay L

Nice one Dave. This is a great project and one I was hoping to do myself one day as well, so I will follow your build with keen interest.

Cheers,

Jay

one thing l forgot to mention is that the skinning will consist of laminating two layers as l am using thin sheet styrene to cover it. One will not be enough if l am to scribe panel lines on the plane.

Hacker <_< :o

Crikey Dave!

Are you going to make the whole thing out of sheet styrene?

(Maybe I should send you some more)

Looks fantastic, by the way... keep it up.

Actually its what l am using for the bulkheads :P :P

hacker <_< :o

well sports fans here are again with more updates as to how l am progressing

post-542-1177165709.jpg

here l filled the spaces with foam. All its for is a stiffener for the skin l am about to apply to the fuselage