Scratch built 1/32 Cessna 0-1E Bird 'Dawg'

You should be able to enlarge a 1/48 or 1/72 scale set of drawings at an UPS/mail store......They usually have 2 or 3 copiers...........if you know the inches or MM increase you can fiddle the setting to get to /32

FedEx kinko has similar stores and they will do it for you........... 

Well, I had a word with my snail and decided to kick its butt, which is a pretty difficult thing to do as I don't think that they have one!

I couldn't really decide exactly how I wanted to tackle the fuselage for now, so I put under the 'too difficult to decide right now' category and started on the wings instead. What you see her is the basic wing shape templates made from 0.7mm thick plastic card. As the maximum wing root thickness (measured at the wing centre section) is 6.5mm thick, I will need to add another 5.8mm thickness of plastic to get the wing thickness correct (this will be equally distributed either side of the 0.7mm template card and will be tapered to 4mm at the tips).

100_5467_zps955126a2.jpg

100_5466_zps8b442861.jpg

100_5468_zps1207bfbe.jpg

100_5469_zps8df6df0f.jpg

Derek

WHOO HOO DEREK CUT PLASTIC!  :m0152:  :frantic:   :wow:  :punk:  :yahoo:

Derek I am so glad you went beyond the paper stage.  I was starting to worry..I REALLY want to see you do this one to your hearts content. PLEASE don't worry about making a mass produced kit out of this one, just do it for you without the distraction, and take notes. You can do it again once you've finished, we'll all wait..

All the best to you and your build my freind,

Paul 

WHOO HOO DEREK CUT PLASTIC!  :m0152:  :frantic:   :wow:  :punk:  :yahoo:

Derek I am so glad you went beyond the paper stage.  I was starting to worry..I REALLY want to see you do this one to your hearts content. PLEASE don't worry about making a mass produced kit out of this one, just do it for you without the distraction, and take notes. You can do it again once you've finished, we'll all wait..

All the best to you and your build my freind,

Paul 

Thank you Paul. Life and everything else - including EMD - takes a great deal of time and energy out of me (I have been a member here for nearly 10 years now and I have never found the time to complete  a single 1/32 scale kit, so I hope that this one will be different).

I need a 1/32 (or similar size) pilot figure to go with my Dawg - preferably armed with an M-16 rifle and personal side arm, so if anyone can recommend something to me, that would be great :thumbsup:

Derek

Well, I had a word with my snail and decided to kick its butt, which is a pretty difficult thing to do as I don't think that they have one!

Derek

Well it's easy to find out. The butt is in the same place as the end of the digestive track. And snails have their stomach in their foot. So the butt is .... errrr   :hmmm: ...

Ok I can kick yours if you prefer ! :evil_laugh:

Great start on the Bird Dog. :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Hubert

Hubert

Dam Derek, its great to see you actually doing something plastic. I know you'll do very well my friend !.........Harv :popcorn:

Martin, Hubert, Harv, Vitali,

Thank you gents. As always, it is a case of when I can get around to working on it (I am away from home again on business tomorrow and Thursday), but I shall do the best that I can. 

Regards

Derek

Derek,

Having met you Derek I think you are a born adventurer and this stupendous adventure right here is going to be fun ride.

It's looking Very technical but highly professional. impressive work so far... :thumbsup:

I am looking forward to this magnificent project of yours Derek.

Good Luck. :clap2:

MARU 5147

(And have Fun :popcorn: )

Thank you for the kind words Maru :)

Derek

You should be able to enlarge a 1/48 or 1/72 scale set of drawings at an UPS/mail store......They usually have 2 or 3 copiers...........if you know the inches or MM increase you can fiddle the setting to get to /32

FedEx kinko has similar stores and they will do it for you........... 

Thank you for the advice. I have already enlarged the drawings to 1/32 scale, however, I only have 3 of the 4 required sheets of drawings. Unfortunately, mine are very poor quality, hence my request for a copy (or hi-res scan) of the original drawings for me to work to. At this point in time, I have got what I have got and I have to work with them as best as I can.

Best regards

Derek

A little more...progress for now.

100_5470_zpsd54ac207.jpg

A few calcs for plastic thickness then of to find a sheet of 2mm thick plastic card. Three identical pieces are required for each wing (in addition to the .7mm thick template shape plastic card) in order to get the correct aerofoil thickness.

100_5471_zps44b6cd71.jpg

6 x 2mm wing shapes roughed out.

100_5473_zps3d2e9471.jpg

A black permanent marker has been used to highlight the edges of the left and right .7mm thick wing template plastic card shapes. The mating surfaces of all wing plastic card shapes have also been sanded to provide a key for the glue.

100_5474_zpsb2ea410f.jpg

100_5475_zps3a815278.jpg

Mixing Araldite epoxy adhesive...Really good stuff Araldite and very useful indeed for this sort of thing.

100_5476_zps1afbe30d.jpg

Wing pieces glued and weighted. Have to be careful here and check that they are on a level surface, or they tend to slide apart like a pack of playing cards until the adhesive has cured. The next job is very labour intensive as it is the shaping of the wings to the correct aerofoil shape.

That's it for the time being. I might have chance to do a little over the weekend, but I am very busy (I am assisting with the maintenance and preparation of the two LPG  EE Lightning F.Mk.6's at Bruntingthorpe for the Cold war jets open day this Sunday).

Derek

. I might have chance to do a little over the weekend, but I am very busy (I am assisting with the maintenance and preparation of the two LPG EE Lightning F.Mk.6's at Bruntingthorpe for the Cold war jets open day this Sunday). Derek

Derek ..OMG! ARE you really. ..guess what ....I am coming over this Sunday with a friend who was I think ex RAF MP.

I might see..NO I will probably seek you out there unless you are squirreled away as one of dignitaries....working away in reality! .

If you are there Derek MY friend I will say hello. :yahoo:

Oh AWESOME work so far..... you :punk:

Hi Maru,

I am looking after the brake parachutes for the aircraft (which I now pack - something that I had not done on these aircraft in over 34 years) and the ejection seats and equipment (and, now it seems more frequently, Hunters as well!).

10170957_10152120267911589_7013962212289

10307407_10152120267991589_4644124150198

10001445_10152120267801589_1872725163380

Here is one of me at RAF Binbrook packing the same chutes back in 1978 (I am on the right).

1459093_10152078587616271_634895219_n.jp

Hope to see you there :)

Derek