The hero and his steed. Sadi Lecointe + Nieuport Sesquiplan

Hubert Boillot

Here is my latest, done as an entry in the "Between the wars" GB.

After WWI, France was the leading nation in aeronautics, and this lead was demonstarted by a series of speed world records in the early 20s, by manufacturers such as SPAD, or Nieuport.

France was also the place where major international races took place, one of the most famous being the Coupe Deutsch de la Meurthe.

After an initial domination by SPAD, Nieuport took the lead with a number of record planes based on their Nieuport 29, which arrived too late for the Great War, but was the main fighter of the French air Force in the early 20s.

Then Nieuport arrived with the Sesquiplane, an aircraft designed only for speed, using the famous Hispano V8 engine. The name "Sesquiplan" came from the difference between the two wings, one being significantlt smaller than the other one. In the case of the Sesquiplan, one can wonder whether it had two wings, or was a monoplane with a large faired wheel axle. Anyway, Nieuport used their know-how in producing monocoque wooden fuselages to make an streamlined thoroughbred, with a monocoque fuselage and plywood-covered wings.

They hired one of the great pilots of the times, French Sadi Lecointe, to fly their new racer, with the goal of beating the world speed records and winning the 1921 Coupe Deutsch.

At times when aviation was still a new technology, less than 20 years old, there were plenty of questions of how far it could go. One of the questions was how fast a man could fly. It was said that 300 km/h was the maximum speed a man could endure.

On September 26th 1921, flying one of the two Sesquiplanes, number 6, Sadi Lecointe beat the world speed record and reached 330.275 km/h (200 mph). Already famous, he became in the instant a hero for French crowds. One week later, "6" was destroyed in the Coupe Deutsch, but Kirsch, piloting its twin brother "7" took away the Coupe Deutsch.

The Sesquiplan proved to be the swansong of the French Aeronautic industry as far as leading the world was concerned. Major innovations were brewing in the US, with the new wet-sleeve engines (the famous Curtiss D12) and fuel developments that culminated with the discovery of the virtues of lead-tetraethyl in the late 20s. From then (fater the Bernard record plane) on world speed records belonged to the US, the Uk and Germany.

I found this vacform kit, produced by a British cottage manufacturer called AirCraft Models on eBay a few years back. The kit is actually extremely well engineered, being molded in female molds, and having been thoroughly researched. Building it was a pleasure, even if the vacform format presented its own challenges. My building thread can be found here :

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=62978

In the course of the build, I was inspired by a pic of Sadi Lecointe standing near its aircraft, and decided to add a figure mimicking Sadi. I also chose to represent the finished aircraft on a base where I tried an electrostatic device to represent grass standing upright.

Here are the pics of the kit I finished yesterday, taken today outside, in my garden, starting with 3 that should remind the period pics posted in the WiP :)

a48a025b-c791-4b0f-bae4-3200517af542_zps

85fdefe5-df91-434d-85cb-0f297c5df008_zps

8fd2f43c-a1f5-4745-8f05-37a976dca9d4_zps

vue%20de%20profil_zpsmd0neukh.png

profil2_zpslhnqxv8n.png

trois-quarts_ar_D_zpshlmypqoq.png

3-4_ARD_zpsyvs9e8wh.png

profil_D_zpstqn5i7xk.png

profil_AVD2_zpsypn2y7la.png

IMG_0951_zpso4hbh4fk.jpg

Edited by MostlyRacers

Beautiful work, Hubert! Congrats on finishing a difficult build to such a high standard. You jumped the gun a bit, though, as we don't normally publish GB entries in RFI, as they get their own gallery. This one certainly deserves wider coverage, however!

Kev

Beautiful work, Hubert! Congrats on finishing a difficult build to such a high standard. You jumped the gun a bit, though, as we don't normally publish GB entries in RFI, as they get their own gallery. This one certainly deserves wider coverage, however!

Kev

Sorry Kev,

Having never finsihed beforehand an entry in ANY GB, I had not realised they did not go into the RFI section ... oops !

Thank you for the praise anyway.

Hubert

Beautiful Aeroplane! It was a pleasure to follow your build. Great results!

Thank you Shaka. Now I want to see your P-26 finished ;) ... :popcorn:

Wow, this is perfect Hubert ! 

When you start your build, i'd have never thought it woud ended is such a smooth and neat model.

And i'm sure we wont see another of these Sesquiplanes for a while !

I would not call this one perfect, Nicolas, as I still see some flaws. But I am pretty happy with it still. Thank you for following me along and your support.

Lovely work Hubert! Im surprised a human could even fit in there, let alone fly it with any control 

The fit in was tight, but probably not as tight as today's Formula 1 racers or other flying midgets. Compraed to my Ryan ST-M, it is not even that small. Thank you for your compiments. coming from a master like you, that means a lot.

Very nice Hubert.

Thank you Eric. Your work and painting skills are an inspiratione and were in this build. Got to practice some more though before I can hope to match you ;)

Awesome model, Hubert! Thoroughly enjoyed every step of your build.   :clap2:

Cheers.

John

Thank You John. Enjoyed your comments in the WiP. Now I have paved the way for others, including you, to finish their entries ...

That's brilliant Hubert - love it!!

Iain

Thank you Iain. If is brilliant, it owes a lot to the fantastic (and forgiving) properties of Tamiya's X-22 clear :) ...

Hubert

• 3 months later...

Thank you Maru.

This was my one and only for 2016, but I had a blast building it :).

I find adding a base and when possible a figure enhances the sense of scale, besides adding different techniques to the modelling palette.

Now in 2016 others got a parking slot on the SoD. I hope 2017 will allow me to bring them back in the limelight ;)

Hubert

Edited by MostlyRacers